National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my previous job, I worked for an armored car company, and around 2000, we were finally allowed by company policy to carry autos, though the stipulations were that they be double action, with a decocker, in 9mm, .40, or .45.

By the middle of 2001, everyone had transitioned to autos. Walking around the workplace, you would have seen Berettas, Tauruses, Sig Sauers, CZs, and so on.

I, on the other hand, was the last one there to have a revolver. Previously, everyone either had the Smith and Wesson Mod.10 38 Special we were issued, or got our own .38 or .357 revolver.

I had a Smith and Wesson Mod.586 .357.

I used to get teased a lot for still carrying a wheel gun, prompting me to respond with "If it ain't got a wheel, it ain't real," or "If I can't do the job in six, I shouldn't be allowed to do it at all."

Now I own plenty of autos, but I put more faith in that old wheel gun. Also, forgive the blatant brag, but no one ever outshot me at our annual qualifications.

So, just a basic question...

What would you prefer? Brand spanking new auto, or a good old-fashioned reliable wheel gun?

You already know my answer.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying what you shoot best. Most all my life I carried a .38/.357 snubnose and I have never felt out guned. I got auto's that I carry once in awhile but I perfer a revolver. I think the main thing is a mans got to know his gun and shoot it enough to hit what he aims at. :---

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I love my .38 and .357.

I NEVER worry about any kind of malfunction.

However, for conceal carry, it's tough to beat a single stack auto.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I too have a fondness for the wheel guns. My favorite is the Colt Python. I sold mine many years ago and have regretted that sale, although it was necessary at the time. I own many six guns, several single actions and several double action S&W revolvers. Have a lightweight model 38 with a laser that I truly love.

Thats said, I have moved on to the auto pistols. I like the kick of the 45 acp and find I can shoot it well. I am lazy now and find popping in the clips is the easy life. For top reliability I agree that the revolver is king. Plus a trained shooter can do as well with the revolver as any one can with the auto pistol.

I am grateful that we have the choice of both type available to us to play with.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
That's an interesting question. It seems like nobody these days dares to go on duty with anything but a semi auto. I love my revolvers and there is always a King Cobra stashed somewhere in the truck. They are very reliable and do the trick (provided you are shooting .357 Mag.)

I think the realization that you might get into a gunfight with someone that has 15 + rounds makes new shooters more squeemish about carrying a revolver due to round capacity (or that there might be multiple individuals). You would need a full load, plus 2 speedloaders just to beat their 1 clip/magazine. Plus reloading a semi-auto is much faster and easier to manipulate than speedloaders...don't care what anyone says.

In your line of work, if you are ever confronted, it will probably be a well armed and driven individual (unlike some dopes that rob banks). I don't know all the stats, but it seems like when someone dares to take on an armored car delivery, they really come in fighting. Your first couple of shots are probably going to go wild in a sudden violent overt reaction to an ambush...which only leaves you with 3-4 rounds versus 10 possibly. I think that is why most go for semi autos anyway, but I would gladly pop an armed bank robber with my .44 Mag Anaconda. I have always thought revolvers were better balanced and more accurate, but if I am in a gun fight, the 1911 seems to be the combat handgun for me.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
A 1911 offers an easier reload but no capacity advantage. There are 357s that hold as many rounds. If you shoot a revolver better than an auto the chances of your shots going wild are less. That is good for any bystanders too. I have started carrying a revolver lately instead of an auto most of the time. Stick with what you shoot good and have confidence in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a safe full of beautiful revolvers. They're from my youth. I always shot them well enough, too. As of 2008 the age of the revolver has passed; they're still OK for backup guns and hunting; but, that's about it. In a day when you're likely to face: multiple assailants, organized attacks, repeated ambushes, and sustained gunfire it's best to carry as many rounds in your personal self-defense weapon as possible.

Given a choice between: (1) 6 rounds in the revolver with 12 more rounds in 2 speedloaders on my belt, or (2) 13 rounds in the pistol with 17 more rounds in 1 extra magazine on my belt, I'll take the semiautomatic pistol every time. My S&W: 27, 29, and 686 revolvers are truly beautiful (custom-tuned) handguns. Anyone would be proud to sport one on his belt. My Glock Model 21 is an ugly beast of an efficient semiautomatic pistol. There ain't nothing pretty about it; and, it doesn't have a reliable user-operated safety; but, it's great for putting out a lot of accurate hot lead - fast!

(Now, if I could just get my Glock to point as naturally as my S&W Model 29!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although I love revolvers, if I'm going to carry a handgun for defense, I would rather it be a semi auto. My Glock 19 is smaller, lighter, holds 16 rounds and is flatter than a med frame revolver. Also, I can use a 33 round mag for the reload and have 49 rounds avail for the fight with just the mag in the gun and one reload. You would need a belt full of speedloaders to have that many rounds at the ready for the revolver. And personal defense is the only reason I have any firearms.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
33 round mag! Is that a reload in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Although I love my 686+ when it comes to a fighting pistol, I will pick any of my 1911s any day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts