National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,501 Posts
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? You mean that NGF hasn't been using the best security protocols and my credit card information could have been stolen? sly.gif

I suppose the next thing coming down the track is, y'all are going to be getting of the program that gives a free firearm semi-annually for members with more than 5000 posts, and quarterly for members with more than 10000 posts? annoyed.gif

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dam, FluffY? And to think I almost used FluffyKitty instead of Ice4Blood. Whew, a real squeaker.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
disturbing...........under attack from an outside source........

now that could be financial looking for information......or it could be idiots looking to make mischief.........or it could be some squirrels with a definate anti gun agenda

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I don't reuse any of my dozens of passwords which makes it a pain and I also write down passwords which is not a good security practice but it becomes necessary because I can't remember them all.

This is a forum and I have no attached financial information. If my account get compromised someone might start posting under my name. If that happens my postings may improve who knows. I don't see the need for increased security and think it's just an increased inconvenience. These new changes make me think we may be heading somewhere I may not want to go.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
biggest threat as i see it is that personal information in the bio and listed personal emails.......would not be surprised if some folks use one password for everything......and if they get in the email...............

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
disturbing...........under attack from an outside source........

now that could be financial looking for information......or it could be idiots looking to make mischief.........or it could be some squirrels with a definate anti gun agenda
Some people got alarmed when the recent changes took place. I didn't get real excited because things like that go on all the time but most don't know it's taking place behind the scenes. Same with any attacks "from outside", they happen all the time. The problem is the site security and if someone is able to get account information and passwords which I have no control over. Again no big loss if it happens.

My banking, paypal and other important accounts have unique high security passwords with numbers , caps, and special char. I don't write those down but I can count them all on one hand.

·
Banned
210 Posts
This changing pass words aint gonna work. To many of us have too damned many pass words already and changing one every blasted year is just plane stupid for this site if one has good software on their own compute you aint gonna be hacked. I run a Nortons program that scans everthing I down load and if it does not pas muster it is deleted whi;le it still is in ram. I have used the same password at some sites for more then 20 years with no problems. Those of us with cognitive disorders will really be having problems and requiring you to leave us alone under federal law. Its an ADA thing.

·
Administrator
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some people got alarmed when the recent changes took place. I didn't get real excited because things like that go on all the time but most don't know it's taking place behind the scenes. Same with any attacks "from outside", they happen all the time. The problem is the site security and if someone is able to get account information and passwords which I have no control over. Again no big loss if it happens.

My banking, paypal and other important accounts have unique high security passwords with numbers , caps, and special char. I don't write those down but I can count them all on one hand.

We're not under attack, just to clarify. We're not suppressing your free speech either. This is your community and we just want to update everyone's security and make sure that no accounts will be compromised. We had a 3rd party breach, same issue with the following sites listed in the first post. In order to prevent anyone from hacking into your account presently, we're sending everyone a request to change their password to a new one.
As for bank/CC information, we don't have that and it's not stored on this site. However if you're using the same username/email/password for all your accounts, please consider changing them.

Thank you,

Lee

·
Banned
210 Posts
How the heck are we supposed to remember all the passwords? Changing every year at every blasted site just exasterbates the situation.....what will be next a blasted face or retina scan. This lap top has the face scan option and I have it locked off because I am always burning my face welding or scratching my face when out in the woods so the blasted thing would not work right anyway as I am always covered in changing scars. I went through this same crap with my bank and after explaining that they have to follow ADA and make accomodations my bank password and account log in are now locked. My bank account has purchasers protection anyway so if I make a purchase from an odball seeming place to them the transaction is put on hold and an email is promptly sent to me and I have to confirm the transaction. I have payed for brass from some folks here and over at WAguns but some fool hacking my account here will get nothing as the payments were made through Paypal or personal cheque sent snail mail.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,773 Posts
Folks,

Change your passwords. Do it now. This is important.

More info to follow.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,501 Posts
Done ...... only because Popeye said so.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,773 Posts
It seems that VerticalScope purchased some sites (this site is one) containing a serious fault. They may have unknowingly exacerbated the problem through their actions.

My information was first taken from NGF because of a hack in December of 2013. The last time was 2/1/2016.

The folks at VS informed us of a 'problem' soon after they discovered it. The previous owners didn't.

I may not agree with their, rather information free, way of warning us. I may not appreciate their imperial way of ordering password changes. That's for later discussion.

If you're interested in the ins-and-outs, click on the link I provided.

Whatever you do, CHANGE YOUR DAMNED PASSWORD... NOW!!

I did.

·
Super Moderator
14,175 Posts
It's good to change password every now and again anyway. I don't like to, but I do. We do get complacent and that's what hackers are waiting for.

Although, the amount of personal info stored on NGF is limited. It is very limited when compared to what members give out about themselves in open forum. If a fella was the type to look for and store information, he'd know a lot about what kind and how many guns folks have, and the serial numbers of some. What kind of safes they have, if they have one. What their next purchase will be. Where they live, what they do for a living. The list goes on, and on, and on.

Alan

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Basically what happened is VerticalScope allowed hackers to break in and steal user/password info.

It's like a Valet key box. They allowed someone to break in and steal all the keys. They also put too many keys in one box so when you broke into that one you had a ton of keys. Then they asked us to change our locks. A simple lock change would suffice but they went overboard and told us to change to a $500 Medeco instead of a $20 Schlage. Then they want us to change our locks every year. All of this is to protect a 1979 Yugo.

·
Super Moderator
14,175 Posts
Note to self: Add 1979 Yugo to fixitfred's inventory.

Alan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts