National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
1,116 Posts
ATF is an executive organization and has no legal power to make new or change existing laws.
Only Congress has that priveledge.

· Registered
892 Posts
ATF is an executive organization and has no legal power to make new or change existing laws.
What? They have already done the same thing with bump stocks, even though they testified before Congress three times they did not have the authority to do it. But bump stocks are banned now, with no new legislation.

They claim they are only interpreting existing law. They are claiming that the arm brace is a "resdesign" of a firearm that moves it under the NFA. I don't buy it either, but that's how they are going at it.

· Aim true !
14,173 Posts
They chip away a little at a time. They did away with bump stocks. I think the bump stop deal was to appease the aftermath gripes from the vegas shooting. But not binary triggers and gat cranks. Makes no sense.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
still believe that the "brace" is living on borrowed time.....i have always thought that.....

· Registered
18,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny thing, the ATF just wrote an opinion letter a year or two ago stating that holding the brace against your shoulder was ok, that it didn't modify it's true purpose. Up until then, if it touched your shoulder, they concluded that you were using it as an SBR (any other weapon) that fell until NFA, $200 and wait a year or two. Bureaucrats, they no nothing about what they are talking about.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
on a different notion......i think that an Ar pistol or shockwave (no brace on either).....with a "whip-it" sling attached and carried concealed under a coat or duster....they said that is illegal?

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Incorrect, ATF changes its mind all the time on "minor" technical issues......and having tons of videos showing folks using a brace like a stock will kill arm braces just like bump stocks

· Registered
18,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ATF just wrote a letter saying it was ok. So those folks on YouTube shouldering the brace is just what the ATF approved of. But, that was just an "opinion" letter, so we all know about opinions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.