National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GRD - What do you think of the terms "assault weapon", and "assault rifle". ??

I am not cruising for a fight - I'm really interested.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug Wilson said:
GRD - What do you think of the terms "assault weapon", and "assault rifle". ??

I am not cruising for a fight - I'm really interested.

Doug
I believe there is no such monster!

It is a made up term by the anti gun crowd to make guns sound scary to those that are not properly informed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug, you didn't ask me but I'm gonna chime in like I've got good sense.

Assault weapon/rifle. Any rifle configured for military or law enforcement use, note the M1 is still in use by some Army units. Damn fine rifle.

Sniper rifle: Non word. A sniper is a person trained to shoot accurately and take out targets designated by law enforcement or military personnel. The rifle used is immaterial.

High capicity: Relative term, high- as compared to what.

We gun owners continue to shoot ourselves in the foot by playing to the anti gun crowd.

I own a Colt AR-15, .223 caliber. The fact that I also own a Beta C mag and 4/ 30 round magazines is nobody's business.
I own an AK 47 Legend. It is a collectible military rifle.
I own a Underwood/Winchester M-1 rifle, a collectible shooter.
I own a Mosin-Nagant M44 Russian rifle.
I own a SKS M59.66, collectible WWII rifle.

I NEVER use the terms assault, hi cap, I call my rifles/handguns by their proper name.
Nobody needs to know that my Glock 19 holds 17 rounds. I don't give the spastards anything they can use.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I also think that the term assault rifle applies to a rifle that has the option of firing automatically and has no sporting or hunting use.

Following the end of WWII many military surplus rifles were cut down and sporterized to be used as hunting arms. Most were bolt action and the conversions were made because they were a cheap alternative to buying a new hunting rifle. Following the big war folks did not have a lot of extra money to spend on new weapons of any type.

The big 30-06 browning BAR would fit that assault rifle definition today. Grease gun, tommy gun, M-2 and a lot of other military hardware that is too heavy or inaccurate to be classified as a sporting arm.

That said, ten different people might give ten different answers about what a true assault rifle is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whompuss said:
Assault weapon/rifle. Any rifle configured for military or law enforcement use, note the M1 is still in use by some Army units. Damn fine rifle.
An "assault rifle" is a rifle that is chambered for a intermediate powered cartridge and is capable of auto or burst fire in addition to semiauto fire.

The only Army units using the M1 rifle are ceremonial, as far as I know.

Sniper rifle: Non word. A sniper is a person trained to shoot accurately and take out targets designated by law enforcement or military personnel. The rifle used is immaterial.
Don't tell the snipers in my unit they aren't using "sniper rifles." What else would you call their M24s? It's not a "non word." It's right there in my unit's property book: "M107 Sniper Rifle." No reason to be politically correct about it. Sniper rifles exist. So what? Some people are in the business of shooting other people. That's just how it is.

I do agree that regular citizens don't have "sniper rifles" since sniping is more about tactics than weapons.

High capicity: Relative term, high- as compared to what.
It's high compared to a neutered Clinton magazine, which is when everyone started calling them hi-caps. It just kinda stuck.

We gun owners continue to shoot ourselves in the foot by playing to the anti gun crowd....I NEVER use the terms assault, hi cap, I call my rifles/handguns by their proper name.
As if they will magically stop being antigun if we stop using certain phrases? If we pretend our weapons aren't weapons? They are going to continue to make up stuff, and some Americans will continue to believe it. How we talk to each other will have exactly zero effect on that.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
Oh!Oh! I think I said the wrong thing. A Zumbo foot in the mouth comment, and I pissed off the Duck. Oh Crap! I have got to stop that drinking, it makes me rant!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike Barham said:
The term Sniper came from an act of being able to shoot a bird called a Snipe...Dude apparently if you can hit one of these things Ur The Man ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AS usual I stand corrected- :oops:
There are specialized hyper accurate rifles.
My match grade Colt Hbar with 3x10 scope is also very accurate, but I don't think many would call it a sniper rifle.
It is said that the humble Mosin-Nagant M44 with iron sights killed more enemy by "sniping" than any other weapon in WWII. Nobody can accuse that sucker as being a tack driver.

Anyhows, thanks for the ongoing education, I use the forums to learn. I grew up shooting two long guns, a Browning Sweet Sixteen for feathers, a Model 94, 30-30 with 3x side mount scope for fur. I have a ways to go on the long guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never categorize weapons by hanging adjectives on them - no "trench knives", "Bowie Knives", "tactical, practical, sniper, assault, SWAT, deer", etc.

Just my way.

A1

·
Registered
761 Posts
sig232 said:
I also think that the term assault rifle applies to a rifle that has the option of firing automatically and has no sporting or hunting use.

Following the end of WWII many military surplus rifles were cut down and sporterized to be used as hunting arms. Most were bolt action and the conversions were made because they were a cheap alternative to buying a new hunting rifle. Following the big war folks did not have a lot of extra money to spend on new weapons of any type.

The big 30-06 browning BAR would fit that assault rifle definition today. Grease gun, tommy gun, M-2 and a lot of other military hardware that is too heavy or inaccurate to be classified as a sporting arm.

That said, ten different people might give ten different answers about what a true assault rifle is.

The M3 Greasegun and the Thompson were SMGs (sub-machine guns) because they fired pistol rounds in full auto, therefore they do not and did not classify as assault anythings.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Zulu7 said:
sig232 said:
The M3 Greasegun and the Thompson were SMGs (sub-machine guns) because they fired pistol rounds in full auto, therefore they do not and did not classify as assault anythings.
I guarentee you if a gangbanger shot one of those SMG's or a semi-auto version, the news media would call it an "Assult Rifle".

·
Registered
569 Posts
zipperzap said:
LOL ... half of'em call 10/22's Assault rifles!
:eek:
Only half? Just about any rifle that uses a magazine and is semi-auto is considered an "Assult rifle" by the media.
Here's a "customized 10/22 "Assult rifle" for sure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts