National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Good values. Kinda rough around the edges but if you willing to work on them a bit they make a great gun.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,086 Posts
If it is the same ad I seen, it's the Commander model, not the full size models.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They are good pistols. Armscor makes a decent milspec .45 You might want to polish up the feed ramps with some 0000 steel wool is all.

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
If I found one for $399, it wouldn't be for sale any more.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
I might try for $350, but only to see if it were possible.

Oh, yes, I have one. The Commander model. Love it. The only real problem with it is that I am always out of 45 ACP reloads these days.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
The one in the picture looks like the full size model.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
The Commander is a little tricky to strip and requires the use of a large paper clip….. Consequently, I don't strip it down much. I believe the full sized one strips down like a 1911.

Alan

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This one?

Picked it up on Friday. Fit and finish is excellent. I got this one for carry and expected to do a little work on the trigger but it really surprised me. Out of the box the trigger is a crisp clean 4.5 lbs, no creep or grit at all. Didn't care for the VZ grips, they have always been a little rough for my taste but I touched them up with fine sand paper and they came out great so they are staying on. All in all a great buy, hopefully heading to the range Monday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Would you recommend a checkering job on the front of the grip? I had a salesman trying to convince me that the checkering was reason enough to buy a kimber instead of the RIA, but i always thought I'd just get my gunsmith to do it if I wanted it done.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This one?

Picked it up on Friday. Fit and finish is excellent. I got this one for carry and expected to do a little work on the trigger but it really surprised me. Out of the box the trigger is a crisp clean 4.5 lbs, no creep or grit at all. Didn't care for the VZ grips, they have always been a little rough for my taste but I touched them up with fine sand paper and they came out great so they are staying on. All in all a great buy, hopefully heading to the range Monday.
Yes, that one. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would you recommend a checkering job on the front of the grip? I had a salesman trying to convince me that the checkering was reason enough to buy a kimber instead of the RIA, but i always thought I'd just get my gunsmith to do it if I wanted it done.
If you are asking me this question, sorry I have never owned a RIA or a Kimber. But I will give you my thoughts- the Kimber will set you back some serious $$$. I could buy two or possibly three RIA's for the price of one Kimber.
I'm looking for a no frills .45 and I think the RIA fills the bill.
As for the checkering? Just buy a different set of grips for the RIA and you will still be money ahead.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
The salesman is trying to sell you up. Front grip checkering is not necessary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts