National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STEPHEN GREEN
APR 30, 202

Insanity Wrap needs to know: What do you call it when a cowardly local school board flees from parents demanding relaxed mask rules, only to have the parents use Robert’s Rules of Order to elect a new board right there on the spot?

Answer: ‘Merica, baby.

Insanity Wrap isn’t going to sugar-coat this one: It’s the greatest thing in the history of all things since we don’t know when.
Hundreds of parents showed up to the Vail School Board meeting to demand the board make masks optional. The board didn’t want to hear it so they walked out of the meeting before it even began. So the parents, under Robert’s Rules of Order, voted in a new school board. Then, the new members voted to end the mask requirement in Vail Schools.
The full 94-minute video of the entire thing is on YouTube.

Watching these parents using Robert’s Rules to vote themselves as board members in place of the runaway cowards is maybe the most delightfully American thing we’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing.

We earnestly hope this makes your day — week, year — as much as it did ours.

·
Registered
19,540 Posts
Watch the "old, dismissed Board Members" come back and "pretend" this didn't occur and their replacement is not valid. The gall of some POS school boards and teachers union officials.

·
AZHerper
4,376 Posts
Watch the "old, dismissed Board Members" come back and "pretend" this didn't occur and their replacement is not valid. The gall of some POS school boards and teachers union officials.
They will undoubtedly try but, although Robert's Rules of Order are usually accepted for parliamentary procedure, they are not legally binding unless formally accepted by the organization. This was a cool move, but it may have to play out in the courts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We could probably do this with Congress, except there wouldn't be a lot of "fleeing", usually NONE of our representatives are in the capitol building, anyway...

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Highly questionable things in this video. I like the moxy of starting a grass-roots at the local level like this, however, after watching the vid, I have issues.

For one, I went through Robert's Rules of Order and found nothing in there that makes it allowable to elect a board if a scheduled meeting is not held as scheduled. I could have missed it; I'm not the best at that sort of thing.

Elections like this are coded in law, not in RRoO so the "election" the did is likely not valid.

Also, the videographer claimed that the board had resigned and yet, that still has to be challenged. They may not have resigned.

The guy from the political group (American Patriots?) attempted to do the same thing at another board meeting the next day so either he was inspired or he's a rabble rouser.

Again, though, these people had sand. Kudos to them for doing so.

--Wag--

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,158 Posts
^^^ I was discussing this with a family member that has been an elected official at the municipal level for close to 15 years. They have been president of their elected body for many years. They weren't familiar with this particular incident but I explained what happened. They stated there is nothing in Roberts rules that facilitates an action such as this. Not even if the board resigned on the spot. Depending on time left in their terms there would need to be special elections and appointments made.

Elections like this are coded in law, not in RRoO so the "election" they did is likely not valid.
This is pretty much what they said.

Reactions: Wag

·
AZHerper
4,376 Posts
Highly questionable things in this video. I like the moxy of starting a grass-roots at the local level like this, however, after watching the vid, I have issues.

For one, I went through Robert's Rules of Order and found nothing in there that makes it allowable to elect a board if a scheduled meeting is not held as scheduled. I could have missed it; I'm not the best at that sort of thing.

Elections like this are coded in law, not in RRoO so the "election" the did is likely not valid.

Also, the videographer claimed that the board had resigned and yet, that still has to be challenged. They may not have resigned.

The guy from the political group (American Patriots?) attempted to do the same thing at another board meeting the next day so either he was inspired or he's a rabble rouser.

Again, though, these people had sand. Kudos to them for doing so.

--Wag--
You didn't read what I said about Robert's Rules.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
You didn't read what I said about Robert's Rules.
RRoO can be incorporated by reference into the bylaws which does make them binding, for the most part. Whether that happens a lot is something I don't know.

However, if they are incorporated as such, they can cause all sorts of problems if people deviate from them.

In the few circumstances I'm aware of, RRoO are generally mentioned during the first session of a meeting and then the group rolls forward with that basic understanding.

I'm hoping that in this case, there won't be a lawsuit. Complete waste of money.

--Wag--

Reactions: gvaldeg1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts