National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a drivers license that is still valid. I have not lived in the state for 2 years. I also have a California drivers license where I am currently living. If I go to Arizona to buy a gun am I able to use the Arizona DL as if I was living there or while there be an issue during the background check? Same question if I went to AZ and bought an AR lower?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
How did you get a CA DL without turning in your AZ one?
And no, what you are asking is illegal since an AR is illegal in CA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you get a CA DL without turning in your AZ one?
And no, what you are asking is illegal since an AR is illegal in CA
. Never had to turn it in. I am not saying I am using it in the state of California. ARs are not illegal in California they have to fit certain rules to be California compliant but again that’s not really the question. I’m asking if I buy the gun using the VALID AZ DL will the background comeback showing I am a CA resident

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
First what Fitasc shooter said is correct. Second you will either fail the NICS because the address won't match your current residence and you could possibly be arrested for lying on the 4473 if you use your old address.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The form specifically asks your state of residence. The only questions are, can a California resident buy in Arizona and are you willing to chance lying on the form?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,219 Posts
".......... will the background comeback showing I am a CA resident?"

Try it and see. Then by all means, let us know how it turns out! As a group, we need to constantly expand our knowledge base. Yes, indeed.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
When I moved from Washington state to California, over a decade ago, I had DLs from both states. When the WA DL expired, I only had a CA DL.

California state law specifically bans the importation of any firearm not approved for sale in California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I moved from Washington state to California, over a decade ago, I had DLs from both states. When the WA DL expired, I only had a CA DL.

California state law specifically bans the importation of any firearm not approved for sale in California.
well I sure am not and wouldn’t be the only person in the whole state of CA that has a gun that is not CA compliant

·
53,706 Posts
But, doing what you propose will leave your bare posterior hanging out for anyone interested to see and possibly use.

If you're gonna do it, do it and shut up about it. Discussions concerning how to violate firearms laws are not tolerated on this board.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
well I sure am not and wouldn’t be the only person in the whole state of CA that has a gun that is not CA compliant

Almost certainly not but do you want to be the one caught with one, trying to buy one or caught lying on the 4473 form?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But, doing what you propose will leave your bare posterior hanging out for anyone interested to see and possibly use.

If you're gonna do it, do it and shut up about it. Discussions concerning how to violate firearms laws are not tolerated on this board.
it was a legit question to ask. In my question did I ever say I intentionally planned on violating any laws. Pull your head out of your ass

·
Registered
18,219 Posts
"Some folks are slow learners."

As well as rude. But then, it's the internet and he wuz just passin' thru ............

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Funny, must be a CA thing because when I moved to all the various states I did over 30 years, EVERY time, I had to turn in not only my out of state DL but my plates; that applied from GA to TX to CO to ND to NV to FL

·
Registered
18,219 Posts
"How did you get a CA DL without turning in your AZ one?"

You lie and say you lost it, it was stolen or you never had one. It's not that difficult, and people and the "system" aren't perfect.

·
53,706 Posts
"How did you get a CA DL without turning in your AZ one?"

You have two AZ DLs

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,879 Posts
In my past lives, each time I moved from one state to another, and got a new state issued driver's license, I was handed back my old license.

From what I understand, your new state of residence reports your "relocation" and DL issuance to your old state. Then your old state would report your "driving history", criminal background, child support orders, etc., to your new state. So if you get pulled over and hand the LEO your old license, they would know your license was reissued by your new state of residence. I'm not sure if this applies to all 50 states, but it is what I was told by an individual who was privy to such information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts