National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
At the prices people are asking at some places i think that's just for a few thousand rounds of .223 and a box of 45's. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
Ammunition manufacturers unable to keep up with demand in peacetime concerns me more than high prices.

I remember hearing the old guys talk about ammunition availability during WWII. Essentially, there was none to be had. Even immediately after the war there was none. The first deer my dad killed was with a borrowed Win Mod 71. The old boy he borrowed it from had three cartridges. He used two of them on the buck and split the meat with the gun owner. The second deer he killed was with a Mauser Mod 98 "bring back" that a friends father had brought home. They had two 8x57 round for it. They filed the points off to expose whatever the core was and fired one round to see where it was shooting. The other round killed the deer, again splitting the meat.

I don't know who produces ammunition for our military at the moment or where it is produced. If it is the commercial manufacturers then perhaps some rethinking is in order on the whole thing... Ammunition should be the easiest part of the firearms manufacturing process...

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
One plant produces all the ammunition for our military...

I shouldn't have read that article at 3:30 AM. Now I won't get back to sleep...

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 5 of 5 Posts