National Gun Forum banner

Are You A Supporter Of A Gun Rights Organization?

5K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  billt 
#1 ·
So you are a gun owner, do you back up that belief with a membership in a gun rights organization? I won't get into names but wanted to toss that on the table for discussion.

#27 ·
billt said:
Another thing that I'm concerned about is the misinformation that is being spread about the NRA "compromising our rights away". For example the latest barrage of criticism that the NRA "conspired" with anti gun people about the law passed to improve the Insta Check system. I'm reading how the NRA "Helped pass a gun control law that denies people who have had mental issues in the past from buying a gun". That's nonsense. The NRA supported a law that did nothing but improve a system they have been in favor of for over a decade The Insta Check System has been full of flaws that caused eligible people to be denied their legal right to purchase a gun because it was a poor system the way it was set up from the get go. I myself was denied once even though I had a valid CCW Permit. It took a full day, and several phone calls to straighten it all out. The law the NRA helped pass did nothing but help improve a weak, problematic system. It did not deny anyone any rights they already have. Yet, in spite of the NRA explaining this fully in a very easy to read article in the American Rifleman Magazine, the myth continues on the Internet how the "NRA is in bed with the anti gun forces of this country". This type of misinformation about the NRA is going to cause more damage than any law they could, or might support, ever would. I'm not trying to sound like an old man here, but most of this kind of crap seems to be coming from the younger generation of shooters. I read this stuff constantly on a lot of the black rifle forums that are comprised of many of the younger shooters. I've been in the NRA since I was in high school back in 1969. I've seen this kind of thing before happen with the NRA. For example back in the mid 70's when Harlon Carter took over with his group of hard liners because many thought the NRA had been infiltrated by anti gun people. A "wolf in sheep's clothing" type of scenario. The NRA can't stop every piece of anti gun legislation that comes down the pike, but they are without question the best thing going for gun owners to date. Sure, by all means join the other groups such as GOA, CCKBA, and all the rest. But put the NRA at the head of your list. If you are saying why? Just ask any Democratic liberal politician what gun organization they hate the most? They will immediately reply, "The NRA!" That alone should tell you all you need to know. The more they hate, the better I like it! Bill T.

You see this criticism constantly over at the big auction forum Gun Broker. I have been in many battles over there supporting the NRA and called every name in the book just because of my opinions. Even the Mods are anti-NRA in a few cases. Very strange, and I suspect, and pointed out to others, that there is a good chance that the Brady Bunch has a couple of members that hang out there as "shrills" to do nothing but divide the herd. There were not very many of the membership that would jump in and defend the NRA so it is not surprising to me that so many gun owners shy away from the conflict. But then I do fail to understand why they would be such cheap azzes and not buy that membership when they will spend the membership fee on lattes at Starbucks or beer at 7-11 in one week.

#28 ·
billt said:
Glock27Bill said:
Lastly, what do you think about the constant inundation of funding requests? It seems that the NRA’s sky is perpetually falling. I believe in supporting the cause, but am concerned that if I send something other than an anonymous Money Order (which I do) that it will be like feeding a stray kitty “just once” and I’ll get even MORE solicitations.
If you don't want the NRA calling you asking for donations, simply call them and ask to please be put on their "Do Not Promote List". I wish more members would do this instead of complaining about it constantly on the Internet. It doesn't do much to entice new members to join. Bill T.

NRA member since 1969

Life Member since 1976

Point taken, BillT.

I was aware of the attacks from the GOA and JPFO against NRA's position on NICS, and thought at the time that it was like eating your own young. I did not realize that it had permeated the community in the way you & Sig describe...now I know.

#29 ·
Glock27Bill said:
(Although I have bought a couple of their DVDs and a set of gun cookie cutters).

What caliber are the cookie cutters? Do you have a license? Any pictures? Sorry, I can't eat a Glock cookie, it doesn't fit my hand...

I just joined the NRA and am expecting the deluge of requests for funds. Your approach is a good one - contribute annonymous, that way you can help the cause while not painting a target on your back for additional pressure to give more.

E

#30 ·
The revolver is an UltraLite if you leave off the icing.

Sorry the Glock cookie won’t fit your hand, 500 batches and no FTF!

I haven’t figured out how to post pics, here’s a link:

http://www.goodyguns.com/gallery.html

Regarding making contributions, the important thing is to provide your support any way you choose.

#32 ·
Rockatansky said:
I think the question was about gun RIGHTS.

#34 ·
denfoote said:
GOA all the way, baby!!
That is good that you support them, I do also. But you know that they are less than 1 million members and very ineffective. I do hope they grow into the elephant in the living room but don't see that happening. In fact the Second Amendment Foundations is much bigger now, I believe.

The NRA is 4-5 times larger than any of the other gun organizations. If everyone were to get on board with them they would become much stronger and take a much tougher course backed up by strength in numbers. A 4-5 million membership out of 80 million gun owners is not a position of strength.

Gun owners need to wake up and join up!

#35 ·
sig232 said:
That is good that you support them, I do also. But you know that they are less than 1 million members and very ineffective. I do hope they grow into the elephant in the living room but don't see that happening. In fact the Second Amendment Foundations is much bigger now, I believe.

The NRA is 4-5 times larger than any of the other gun organizations. If everyone were to get on board with them they would become much stronger and take a much tougher course backed up by strength in numbers. A 4-5 million membership out of 80 million gun owners is not a position of strength.

Agree totally. I've made this argument with the anti NRA, 20 something, black rifle dirt shooting crowd. But their reply is usually something to the effect, "Why should I pay to join an organization that has done nothing but compromise my rights away?" I get sick of listening to it. As I mentioned it's much more prevalent with the 20 something, black rifle, bump fire crowd. I really like AR-15's, and own several. But I really get sick of the attitude of many of the younger owners of them. They've brainwashed, (bull$h!tted would be a better word), themselves into thinking the NRA is worse than Sarah Brady. If you want a really good example of what I'm talking about go over to http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php? I started a pro NRA thread over there, (same one as I did here), and just look at the fire it drew. There is one warped soul over there who calls himself "EOD" and is a moderator of sorts. He makes Joe Biden look like our best friend! It's totally unbelievable the way these nit wits think. I have a feeling this is the same crowd who believes we faked the Moon landings, and 9/11 was an "inside job"! Idiot's all. Bill T.

#37 ·
billt said:
sig232 said:

Agree totally. I've made this argument with the anti NRA, 20 something, black rifle dirt shooting crowd. But their reply is usually something to the effect, "Why should I pay to join an organization that has done nothing but compromise my rights away?" I get sick of listening to it. As I mentioned it's much more prevalent with the 20 something, black rifle, bump fire crowd. I really like AR-15's, and own several. But I really get sick of the attitude of many of the younger owners of them. They've brainwashed, (bull$h!tted would be a better word), themselves into thinking the NRA is worse than Sarah Brady. If you want a really good example of what I'm talking about go over to http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php? I started a pro NRA thread over there, (same one as I did here), and just look at the fire it drew. There is one warped soul over there who calls himself "EOD" and is a moderator of sorts. He makes Joe Biden look like our best friend! It's totally unbelievable the way these nit wits think. I have a feeling this is the same crowd who believes we faked the Moon landings, and 9/11 was an "inside job"! Idiot's all. Bill T.

I wonder if EOD is the same mod that is ECC at Gun Broker. He has the same attitude about the NRA. I see the same thing at GB. The anti-NRA crowd screams like a bunch of shrills when I put up my threads in defense of the NRA some time ago. They have driven many of the older supporters away. But that's the inter-net, if you want to do battle then there are lots of places to do that.

I don't attack people about what they think I just try to share my experiences and what I believe and then let others join whatever group they want to support. If you join any pro-gun group its a good thing.

#38 ·
sig232 said:
I wonder if EOD is the same mod that is ECC at Gun Broker. He has the same attitude about the NRA. I see the same thing at GB. The anti-NRA crowd screams like a bunch of shrills when I put up my threads in defense of the NRA some time ago. They have driven many of the older supporters away.
I get a kick out of the way he blames the NRA because he can't buy an Anti Tank gun, or a full auto at a hardware store. You simply can't argue with fools like that. He honestly believes we would have less gun control without the NRA. Bill T.

#39 ·
billt said:
sig232 said:
I wonder if EOD is the same mod that is ECC at Gun Broker. He has the same attitude about the NRA. I see the same thing at GB. The anti-NRA crowd screams like a bunch of shrills when I put up my threads in defense of the NRA some time ago. They have driven many of the older supporters away.
I get a kick out of the way he blames the NRA because he can't buy an Anti Tank gun, or a full auto at a hardware store. You simply can't argue with fools like that. He honestly believes we would have less gun control without the NRA. Bill T.

Frankly I get real suspicious of people like that. I wonder if they are not shrills from the Violence Policy Center or the Brady Bunch that are trying to influence gun owners and divide the herd.
I doubt that they are gun owners at all. Just anti-gunners thinking that if enough people hear their opinions that some of the younger less experienced will begin to believe it as truth

But then if they belong to GOA to support the "Hard Line Organization" thats OK, at least they are included in the numbers that are recorded as progun.

#40 ·
A lot of people in the full auto community blame the NRA, not Regan, for the 1985 Full Auto Ban, as well as they blame the NRA for the National Firearms Act of 1934. In fact they blame the NRA for every piece of gun legislation ever passed. If it passed, the NRA "conspired with anti gun forces" to make it happen. That's their take on it. You simply cannot argue with anyone that ignorant. The NRA has won far more battles than they have lost. These fools don't see it that way. I have been on forums with members from Australia and the U.K. and all of them have said at one time or another how they wished they had an organization like the NRA to help them. This "EOD" moron even believes the NRA helped the anti gun laws get passed there! He's a complete idiot. I thought so much so he has to be a "plant", but he's a moderator over there. As I said, most of this crap comes from the 20 something, "Camo Cowboys". I don't like to stereotype like that, but that's what I've found. They separate themselves from most everyone else in the shooting community. They even call hunters and the guns they use "Fudds" and "Fudd Guns", in reference to the cartoon character. I regard them much like I do California and Illinois. A lost cause. The bad thing is this type of Cancer spreads fast. I've seen much of it in the last 10 years. How soon they forget that it was the NRA that lobbied hard for the sunset clause in the 1994 AWB. To them it was "compromise". They don't seem to have the mental faculties to reason it's why you can still buy AR's with 30 round mags, flash suppressors, and bayonet lugs. They believe the NRA only fights to protect "Fudd Guns", in spite of the fact the evidence is right there in front of them proving otherwise. As if the Brady's, Schumer's, and Feinstien's aren't enough, we now have these fools to fight. Bill T.

#41 ·
BillT Quote:Agree totally. I've made this argument with the anti NRA, 20 something, black rifle dirt shooting crowd. But their reply is usually something to the effect, "Why should I pay to join an organization that has done nothing but compromise my rights away?" I get sick of listening to it. As I mentioned it's much more prevalent with the 20 something, black rifle, bump fire crowd. I really like AR-15's, and own several. But I really get sick of the attitude of many of the younger owners of them. They've brainwashed, (bull$h!tted would be a better word), themselves into thinking the NRA is worse than Sarah Brady. If you want a really good example of what I'm talking about go over to http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php? I started a pro NRA thread over there, (same one as I did here), and just look at the fire it drew. There is one warped soul over there who calls himself "EOD" and is a moderator of sorts. He makes Joe Biden look like our best friend! It's totally unbelievable the way these nit wits think. I have a feeling this is the same crowd who believes we faked the Moon landings, and 9/11 was an "inside job"! Idiot's all. Bill T.

Wow! I went over there and read most of the four page thread and several others. You did a great job defending the NRA and putting them in their place. Its important to just let those kind of folks know that most of us disagree with them and think they are idiots.

You need to find a list of all the lawsuits that the NRA has been involved in over the last 30 years and just flood the forum with it. They claim there are no facts to favor the NRA. One that comes to mind is the recent lawsuit when the NRA sued the city of San Francisco claiming their law outlawing gun ownership in the city was illegal. They won and proved that only the State of California can pass laws outlawing firearms. That was a big win for them. I have not followed it to completion since there was an appeal later on so some research needs to be done to check the final outcome.

#42 ·
sig232 said:
One that comes to mind is the recent lawsuite when the NRA sued the city of San Francisco claiming their law outlawing gun ownership in the city was illegial. They won and proved that only the State of California can pass laws outlawing firearms. That was a big win for them. I have not followed it to completion since there was an appeal later on so some reasearch needs to be done to check the final outcome.
Just ruled on today, here's from NRA-ILA.

NRA Wins Big in California State Court of Appeals Fairfax, VA – The California State Court of Appeals announced today their decision to overturn one of the most restrictive gun bans in the country, following a legal battle by attorneys for the National Rifle Association (NRA) and a previous court order against the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

“Today’s decision by the California State Court of Appeals is a big win for the law-abiding citizens and NRA Members of San Francisco,” declared Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist.

#43 ·
Glock27Bill said:
sig232 said:
One that comes to mind is the recent lawsuite when the NRA sued the city of San Francisco claiming their law outlawing gun ownership in the city was illegial. They won and proved that only the State of California can pass laws outlawing firearms. That was a big win for them. I have not followed it to completion since there was an appeal later on so some reasearch needs to be done to check the final outcome.

NRA Wins Big in California State Court of Appeals Fairfax, VA – The California State Court of Appeals announced today their decision to overturn one of the most restrictive gun bans in the country, following a legal battle by attorneys for the National Rifle Association (NRA) and a previous court order against the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

“Today’s decision by the California State Court of Appeals is a big win for the law-abiding citizens and NRA Members of San Francisco,” declared Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist.

There you go, thanks for picking up that info glock27bill. I am sure there are thousands of examples that can be pulled up that show lawsuits that the NRA has sponsored or participated in over the last 30+ years.

#44 ·
sig232 said:
Glock27Bill said:
sig232 said:

There you go, thanks for picking up that info glock27bill. I am sure there are thousands of examples that can be pulled up that show lawsuits that the NRA has sponsored or participated in over the last 30+ years.
Just last night I got a call from GOA asking for support to get in the Supreme Court fight.

I went to their site to see if they had an equivalent to the NRA-ILA area, in order to find out what they posted regarding their legislative successes. Mostly what I found were their criticisms of the actions of "others." I could not find any examples of legislation that they actually sponsored, lobbied for and got passed.

I did a similar search on CCRKBA. While they also seemed to lack a concrete legislative record, at least they understand what I'm adopting as my new Free Speach Safety Rule #1..."Never point your mouth at anything you don't intend to destroy."

I'm all for supporting organizations that fight for my rights, but not entities that elevate themselves primarily by denegrating others. (Unacceptable behaviour in organizations and in individuals).

I'm still deciding what to do and how to communicate this to them, not only on this issue but on the net benefit to gun owners of our long term relationship. Right now, I'm leaning towards sending my check to the NRA. At least I know that it will go to the right battle.

#45 ·
sig232 said:
Thanks glock27bill. If you guys can find information of this type, please post it here, or else provide the link, and I'll flood their "NRA The Good" thread with it!

http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/inde ... opic=23161

Anything the NRA has accomplished from a legal standpoint that simply means less gun control is whats needed. I'll wait until we get several like this one glock27bill has just posted, then I will cut and paste them over there. You guys can do the same if you wish. The more the merrier! Bill T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.