National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know what makes you a black powder fan. I dont own any black powder rifles cause they just dont tickle my belly. Any particular reason you enjoy them?

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
It's the best way to hunt deer in Ohio since no centerfire rifles are allowed. I chose the high tech CVA optima pro mag in nickle plate with advantage camo monte carlo stock w/ break action & rear hammer. Uses 209 primers and can shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yds. Great gun, a little heavy to carry around, but shoots great and easy to clean. I use it for slow stalkin' and stump sittin'. Have never seen one get back up after I drop them. Longest shot on a deer for me was 80 yds, the shortest was 65 yds. Most of my shots were from sittin' on a stump with elbow on knee. I love taking this gun to the range and shooting it off a sandbag, it always amazes my friends.... :ugeek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got about 60 black powder rifles and handguns. Mostly percussions, but several flintlocks as well. I enjoy shooting them as I find it very relaxing. When I take out modern firearms it just seems that things are a bit more serious. With the black powder arms you HAVE to take your time and it's just slower paced. Also, just about everyone who shows up at the range shows an interest in shooting a flintlock. Most shooter have never firee one before and have no idea what to expect. It stimulates quite a bit of discussion and questions. It's always fun to dispell many of the false conceptions that people seem to have about black powder arms.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Well then I used to be into blackpowder revolvers, I was a die hard fan of it. It was so cheap because the only things I had to buy were caps. I casted my own balls and made my own powder. I think what really made me into it was the history behind them firearms. I mean any fool (no offense to anyone) can load a gun with pre loaded cartridges, but it's a real challenge to load them chambers one by one with powder, bullet, seal, and cap. Imagine our Fore Fathers who had to do that while riding on horses. Sure makes me appreciate how far we have come in firearms technology.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
years ago blk powder was all i shot. :)
i had lost interest in cartridge /modern firearms due to their cost and such. :(
but being involved in historical military impressions allowed me to shoot again on
a very slim budget since i already owned a smoke pole. :D

through the years i have sold most everything until recently i have returned
to the impression hobby and have rearmed somewhat :D but i still would like to oneday
own a custom made .32-.36cal long rifle. :cool:

so, no i'm not a die hard blk powder shooter. now that i've got more money with the rug rats married off i have purchased several modern firearms. so i'm ac/dc! ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a T/C Omega to take a nice 8 pt last year , i also have a Contender with a 45cal barrel that my son uses

i had a T/C cap & ball but sold it several years ago

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 black powder rifles. All are caplocks and I only shoot black powder and a patched round ball. One is a .45 cal Pennsylvania rifle the over all length is 57" and is a tack driver. I have a .50 cal CVA mountain rifle not a fancy rifle but will shoot a 1.5" group at 50 yards with a round ball and iron sights. My baby is my .32 cal Kentucky long rifle that I hunt squirrels with.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like all kinds of guns, from black powder to AR-15s, I like them all. But, every now and then I gather all my smoke poles up and spend a enjoyable day just shooting them, and leave all the metallic shooters at home. I only have 3, two rifles and an Ruger Old Army, but you can get a lot of enjoyment out of them. The Old Army actually is one of the funnest guns I have!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a great way to hone your shooting skill. You have one shot, you pick your distance to the target and fire. I set up targets around the farm and stalk them shooting from different angles and distances. When hunting season opens this fall, so will my freezer. Plus it's cheaper than shooting modern ammo.

Dave :--- :i:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been stuffin roundball for 40 odd years, only need one cause thats all I can shoot at a time.

Made this one from scratch two seasons ago. Ill have it until I die

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My ruger old army is a charm to shoot.I get in to the old ways at times. this is a 1880 springfield army knife with my old army . oh yeh stanless is easy to clean

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes

I would say yes, I am a die hard for black powder .
No other powder that I am aware of or shot has ever supplied me with as much fun , SMOKE and FIRE as real BP .
It is very easy to clean compaired to pyrodrex also, unlike most people would think or have been lead to believe. Tripple 777 is also one I shoot allot of , pretty nice stuff if your into it that is .
BP is the only one that supplies the amount of smoke and fire I crave , real fire and real smoke , lots of both . One shot one kill , so the arguement of too much smoke is pretty weak . :biggrin5:
If you have never shot a Walker 44 with 60 grains of 2FF in the morning dawn light on a crisp Fall or Winter morning and watched the smoke billow through the trees and air for forty feet or so , you just will never get it anyway . :thumbsup:
And if you do ever get a chance to shoot that same load at night , you'll be hooked !!!!!! You will also come to the conclusion that the Devil himself owned Sam Colts soul when he created that monster , in his own image . Truth .
Try it yourself and me and you will have lots to discuss here .

Guttbicket

1 - 12 of 12 Posts