National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In video games that is. :biggrin5:

For me I have a simple rule for cheating. I play through the game with no cheating and then the 2nd run through I cheat like crazy. I think it's rewarding to complete a game the first time around with no cheat.

How about you guys and gals?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I tried not cheating at Grand Theft Auto IV but it was just too hard. I played for 3 hours without obtaining a single gun. Try accomplishing anything in that game without a piece. Googled the weapons codes and all is fun again.

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
On the rare occasion I pick up a videogame, I generally try not to 'cheat' per se, but I usually play in super easy mode and look up the gamefaq walkthrough If i get stuck for more than a few minutes. It just feels kinda stupid running around trying to figure out wtf to do for tooo long.

I think the last game I played and liked enough to finish was Metal Gear Solid 3. Love that series but I cant afford a PS3 to play MGS4, and I am ideologically opposed to hand held gaming, so I can't play the PSP MGS games either.

Darn overpriced piece of tech.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I refuse to cheat. It makes the game worthless in my opinion. 99% of games give you the option to turn down the difficulty if you are having trouble with it, and that should be used before resorting to cheats.

Did you know.... Cheats were originally put in place for demonstration purposes before the games had a hard drive to store saved games? BUT before that the cheats were accidentally stumbled upon by programmers playing pc games. While looking at the coding they would plug and play to check what object and placement corresponded with a particular string of code. It didn't take long to figure out the advantages of "cheat codes".

As stated before, I will occasionally go through a game a second time and try a cheat to see how it works, but usually it is a humorous addition more than a tactical advantage to a game.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried not cheating at Grand Theft Auto IV but it was just too hard. I played for 3 hours without obtaining a single gun. Try accomplishing anything in that game without a piece. Googled the weapons codes and all is fun again.
I am totally addicted to that game ever since I got it! I already beat it with no cheats which is pretty easy to do because the missions are pretty easy and the targeting system makes for quick kills even with the lame Glock. But yeah, it very hard if you allow yourself to get a high wanted level because the cops are ruthless in trying to kill you and they are punks with their shotguns at close range.

Funny because after I beat the game with no cheats, I then was cheating so much that my cell phone actually died while I had a 5 star wanted level and I was totally screwed and couldn't cheat no more! :mad2:

·
Banned
921 Posts
Am I a cheater? Yes.
I'll play about half way through any given game, and after I "Get it" I'll just start cheating

I played through Fall3 the 1st time without any cheats, but it took daysssssssssssssssss

Second time, cheated my ass off, downloaded the game guide, and just cheated cheated cheated, it made the game really fun, but there is no reason to ever play it again.

GTA4, I can beat any level without cheating, I just dont want to drive around for an hour to get all the weapons, armor and such, just to play a 10 min shoot out, I got a Wife, a Job, and a Gun that need attention too. So half way through I just started using cheat codes for weapons and vechiles. Almost done, saved me hours.
I dont add health during a mission, THATS cheating

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Am I a cheater? Yes.
I'll play about half way through any given game, and after I "Get it" I'll just start cheating

I played through Fall3 the 1st time without any cheats, but it took daysssssssssssssssss

Second time, cheated my ass off, downloaded the game guide, and just cheated cheated cheated, it made the game really fun, but there is no reason to ever play it again.

GTA4, I can beat any level without cheating, I just dont want to drive around for an hour to get all the weapons, armor and such, just to play a 10 min shoot out, I got a Wife, a Job, and a Gun that need attention too. So half way through I just started using cheat codes for weapons and vechiles. Almost done, saved me hours.
I dont add health during a mission, THATS cheating
I agree. I have a job and very limited time to play games. I can't run around in GTA4 robbing people by hand to get $12 at a time. Unlike in previous GTA titles, some of the people you try to rob will just kick your ass anyway. I don't ruin the experience with rampant cheating but if I can have unlimited ammo or money I'm doing it. Wandering around trying to find guns or money is tedious and I lose interest.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
If you are not cheating, you are not trying.

·
Appreciated Member
179 Posts
I never play video games anymore, but when I did I would use cheat codes whenever the game started to bore me.

B

·
0 Posts
The only time I ever cheat nowadays is online, when I play gears. I teach people how to glitch out of Subway and Tyro Station, as well as teaching the roadie run and my personal favorite, chainsaw glitching. I love it so much; I can usually take out most of a team with a chainsaw glitch right infront of them, then split while they stare in shock at me when I do the re-glitch (do the CSG, then roll. You will continue to spray blood from thin air for another 5 seconds, and make the chainsaw noise for another 10.)

·
"Evil black gun" owner
386 Posts
Years ago I had Privateer. Good game and made you think about the "deals" you took. Played it for months and beat the hell out of it. Then I found the cheats and tried a few. Only the extra missiles and higher level engines actually did anything to increase chances of winning. Can't play it any more for 2 reasons: 1. One of the installation floppy disks has gotten corrupted and I can't find the copies. 2. New computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive. Never did get the CD version of it. I don't play computer games all that often any more. A lot of the games aren't out for computers so I don't even bother with looking at the reviews. Of those I do play, I don't even know if there are cheat codes for them.

·
Super Moderator
5,591 Posts
I do try and play without them first run only on my personal game stations. These games comming out are taking the fun out of gaming with these crazy hard to do moves and tricks to accomplish the game. So, I love using "game enhancements", they are FUN!!! Remember video games are supposed to be FUN.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will also play through the game at least once or twice without cheating. Usually I'll play a "good" character, then I'll play a "bad" character. If its an RPG type game where you have options on how you want to play it (like Borderlands 1 or 2) I'll usually play two characters before I cheat. Usually what happens is I'll pick the "really easy character" (hunter on borderlands) and get bored half way through because I'm anal about completing EVERY mission therefore I get way too strong and it's way too easy, even on hard mode. So I'll switch to one of the harder characters and beat the game without cheating.

GTA... I cheat. Basically all I did in that game was give myself all the weapons and unlimited ammo and run into a police station and just start shooting people. I'd back myself into a corner near the jail (only one way in) and just shoot people as they came around the corner. Then once I got the army after me I'd attempt to escape and steal a tank or what not. (Haven't played any of them in YEARS, so I don't quite remember.) The game took way too long not to cheat.

Sometimes I cheat just for ease of use. If I'm playing a game with a weight limit, and I want something that's on the ground... sure I could come back for it, but usually I just give myself a slightly higher carrying capacity and pick it up. Same with games where you get "encumbered" and can only walk instead of run. Sure, I could walk home, but I usually just cheat and run there.

Also sometimes I "sorta-cheat" meaning I'll write programs to do things in the game for me. I don't consider that full on cheating as I had to use my brain to make it do what I want it to do, and it's not instant. If anyone of you has ever played Mass Effect 2, where you had to scan the planets, I wrote a program to scan the planet for me. It'd move the mouse a bit, check if anything was there, the move it some more etc etc. It basically took the tediousness out of the game.

Yes, I used to play a lot of games when I was younger. Now-a-day I'm usually too busy and I'd rather read or go shooting (in real life). Every once in a while I'll cave and install an old game and run through it. (I have a desire to play Black and White 2 (I think there are 2 of them). It's a game where you play god (literally) and control people, telling them what to do, building your city etc. Of course, you can be evil or nice. Good game.)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I use mods and make n00bz rage. Glass walls, UAV support, unlimited ammo, teleporting, etc. I don't use God mode though. That's just no fun.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Almost never.... I am a stickler about it mostly because when I started playing PONG there was no cheat codes .... I have watched my kids and nephews who think cheats are great. But head to head I can clobber them in most games. Hard work and practice will always result in better performance be it games or anything else. But I agree with some that after a game is getting tired it is time to throw the cheats on and get through it... Twisted Metal Black comes to mind.... Beating it with every character to unlock everything is ridiculously tedious....so yeah good game to cheat and get infinite ammo or invincible to unlock the coolest stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheating, one of the many fun things to do in video games. Like Maser, I play through the game without cheating, and when I play through it again, cheat like crazy. If there are games where there are technically no end, like Grand Theft Auto, and pokemon... yes I do play some pokemon games... I have two games, 1 for non-cheating play through, and the other for cheating. My cheat game never being allowed to pass my legit game during play through.

2 games of pokemon black made possible through the AR, which allows me to save the game to the SD card, and reload it anytime I wish.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts