National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a few companies are close to putting out products on the US market.
I would be great if unauthorized users could not use your handgun, or take it away from you and use it on you or steal it and use it in crimes. But I believe the consequences are too great.
Someone will figure out how to hack it with a handheld device rendering your gun useless if you need it.
Technology always fails just when you need it most.
Think I will stick to my dumb guns.

·
Super Moderator
15,443 Posts
They already know where you are, what you buy, what you post online, what you look at, how you vote, who you vote for, how many and what kind of guns you've bought and likely a whole lot more...

Alan

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Before smart guns become mandated by politicians they should issue them to their relevant police and security forces for beta testing. If it's good enough for us it should be good enough for them as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As someone with a background in Cyber Security & Network Engineering, Smart Guns sound like a nightmare for 2A supporters and a wet dream for the government. I agree that the concept sounds nice, but a smart gun not only adds an additional and more likely point of failure, it also adds the possibility of outside control and/or manipulation.

·
Live Free
3,875 Posts
Looks like a few companies are close to putting out products on the US market.
I would be great if unauthorized users could not use your handgun, or take it away from you and use it on you or steal it and use it in crimes. But I believe the consequences are too great.
Someone will figure out how to hack it with a handheld device rendering your gun useless if you need it.
Technology always fails just when you need it most.
Think I will stick to my dumb guns.

Yes…I like my dumb guns!

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
It also makes guns more expensive. Higher cost means fewer buyers. If the govt can disable gun, then a hacker can unlock a stolen gun and once again bands ave ears and were holding our d**ks.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
27,249 Posts
They can make smart guns, but it won't do anything for the idiot behind the trigger.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
I'll take antiquated and mechanical over futuristic and computerized any day. If it works just as good as pairing my headset to my phone i want no part of it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Look at it this way, would you rather have a 2022 Electric Corvette or a 1954 Corvette gasser?

This is just my opinion, but I would imagine that the majority of the smart gun demographic would be left leaning, liberals of which a segment is for strong gun control. They will buy a smart gun, fire 15-20 rounds, consider themselves qualified, and then promptly put it in a locked gun safe, unloaded, if ever to be used again.
Someone who is pro gun is going to be proficient with their firearms, without fear or loathing. They will train with them, maintain them and use them.
If or until confiscated, the 1911 and non safety Glocks will never go out of style.

·
Super Moderator
13,326 Posts
Before smart guns become mandated by politicians they should issue them to their relevant police and security forces for beta testing. If it's good enough for us it should be good enough for them as well.
Not too long ago, I heard a report on the radio saying that one municipality was considering a proposal to require cops to keep their guns locked in a glove box. If they were to need it, they were to call dispatch and explain the situation. Then, dispatch would send the remote signal to unlock the glove box so the officer could retrieve the weapon.

I have to see if I can find a link to that story.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not too long ago, I heard a report on the radio saying that one municipality was considering a proposal to require cops to keep their guns locked in a glove box. If they were to need it, they were to call dispatch and explain the situation. Then, dispatch would send the remote signal to unlock the glove box so the officer could retrieve the weapon.

--Wag--
Forehead Nose Watch Jaw Tie

Thanks for that reminder of idiocy, I remember seeing that story as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts

--Wag--
That’s how the police were in HBO’s The Watchmen series.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
I wonder if anyone has though how the microchips and circuits will respond to cleaning solvents over time?

Reactions: GRBOU812
1 - 20 of 38 Posts