National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made any real preparations or deals that they are already prepared for a global pandemic? I know some of us are in some very rural areas which may not be impacted very much and even if they were people stand on their own 2 feet but are you ready for an invasion? Are you ready for no food in the supermarket? Are you ready for people just showing up on your front doorstep looking for food, shelter, or your guns?
many of us live in urban or even city environments where things to turn ugly real fast. I’m not praying on your fears as much is interested to see if you’re taking any of this seriously or serious enough that you’re at least making some preparations.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My wife came home last night with a couple of hundred dollars worth of OTC meds.
She heard that if it hits the pharmacy shelves will be the firs to empty out, and a lot of those meds come from China now So replenishment might be a problem.
Other than that, no special preps other than what we usually do. Stash some money in the house, We usually have about a month worth of food.
Ammo should last, well lets just say quite a while.

·
Aim true !
10,292 Posts
Well stocked on ammo and food. I saw on the news where folks are pretty much on a stay at home lockdown in China.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that a months worth of non perishable food would be good to have on hand. Rice, dried beans, oatmeal and cereal would be good. As far as meat, there are canned meats like spam that keep for a long time too. Powdered eggs and powered milk and pasta seem like a good idea. Coffee/tea and some powdered drink mixes and even canned soda/ beer and such. Anything else?

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
Call me stupid or whatever you’d like but I am honestly paying zero attention to it.
I have become so desensitized by anything the news has to say. The sky is always falling and the world is always ending.
I’m not too worried about it to be honest.

Not to mention when the lord is ready to clock me out, that’s exactly what he’s going to do. I’m at peace.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would think that a months worth of non perishable food would be good to have on hand. Rice, dried beans, oatmeal and cereal would be good. As far as meat, there are canned meats like spam that keep for a long time too. Powdered eggs and powered milk and pasta seem like a good idea. Coffee/tea and some powdered drink mixes and even canned soda/ beer and such. Anything else?
Whisky, and more whisky. Especially if stuck in the house with Mrs. Cowboy for an indefinite period of time.
I love her to death, but alcohol would be a must for survival.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alcohol kills germs and viruses so yeah you’ll need a lot. I’m fairly well scotch and bourbon stocked.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I’m watching the stock market tank. Hopefully the CDC and WHO can fix this quick.

·
Registered
13,212 Posts
We usually have a months worth of food. Ammo, yeah i think i have a few rounds kicking around here. I could use more gas. Have a decent stock of basic meds/first aid. Little upset about the 7k that disappeared from my 401k overnight but still way ahead with Trump being in office.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
545 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the people on tv walking around with the germ masks on, seen a lot of them covering their mouth but not their nose. There by rending the mask useless.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see people all the time wearing dust masks on construction sites and on TV construction sites but they don’t pinch the nose bridge so it’s got air going around the mask and doing nothing to protect the wearer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm honestly not concerned about the virus itself, it's mass hysteria that I'm wary of. The virus seems scary on the surface, but when you compare the 2,000-something deaths it's caused to the 300,000-600,000 people killed each year by influenza, it's really not that bad. Of the confirmed cases, only 3% have died while just over 37% have already recovered.

That said, people are notoriously bad at thinking rationally, and mass hysteria alone can be more destructive than any virus. To that end, I always try to have a decent stock of ammo and non-perishables, first aid kit, basic survival gear, etc. Cousins have a hunting camp in the mountains if things get really bad.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
think i will watch stephen king's "the stand" this weekend............followed by "the andromeda strain"......that is my plan....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My will is up to date. That's about it. I prepared for the "changeover to 2000" doom predictions, and I'm not repeating that one.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,292 Posts
Living in the middle of BF nowhere, we don't have much to worry about. We grow food, have wood for heat, etc. What I'm worried about is the city folk fleeing the cities and venturing out here, looking for food/shelter/etc.

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,285 Posts
We grow most of our own food including meat, there's plenty of wild game large and small, mostly would need salt, sugar etc. Have our own water supply and plenty of ammo and as we got nowhere to go and three months to get there we're sitting ok for several months

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,292 Posts
As far as ammo, you only need about 200 rounds. If someone tries to come into your house, shot them and leave the body on the front lawn. Trust me, everyone after that will think twice.

With all due respect, while on the surface that seems like a good idea, it will end up attracting coyotes/wolves/etc. And having a predator familiar with the taste of man can be especially dangerous.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Don't forget some simple things like hand sanitizer and N-95 NIOSH masks (or better) in case you have to go out. I have elections coming up that I work, so it will be interesting...........

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Are you allowed to check id’s?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts