National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a knife enthusiast to some degree, but I was wondering if any of y'all carry one regularly and what kind. Personally, I have have 3 that have some defensive application:

1. Cold Steel 5" folder w/Tanto blade - carry it daily clipped in front right pocket

2. Gerber fixed blade - knife that is in my living room whrere I generally don't keep a gun in case I was actually suprised by an intruder w/o time to get to a gun. (O.K. I may occassionally play with it while watching crime drama movies or documentaries)

3. Cold Steel 'Spike'...neck knife - good for taking on a 'cooling off' walk after a workout or in an environment where anything bigger or more noticeable may be frowned upon. Plus I make my 17yoa daughter wear it when she goes out at night.

I do keep an 'Old Timer' folder for cutting bale strings or castrating bull calves, but thats more a utility purpose.

Any one else implement their knives for self defense, home defense, etc? Anyone carry one instead of a gun sometimes...or in addition to? Attended any combat knife classes/instruction?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I have always been a knife enthusiast to some degree, but I was wondering if any of y'all carry one regularly and what kind. Personally, I have have 3 that have some defensive application:

1. Cold Steel 5" folder w/Tanto blade - carry it daily clipped in front right pocket

2. Gerber fixed blade - knife that is in my living room where I generally don't keep a gun in case I was actually surprised by an intruder w/o time to get to a gun. (O.K. I may occasionally play with it while watching crime drama movies or documentaries)

3. Cold Steel 'Spike'...neck knife - good for taking on a 'cooling off' walk after a workout or in an environment where anything bigger or more noticeable may be frowned upon. Plus I make my 17yoa daughter wear it when she goes out at night.

I do keep an 'Old Timer' folder for cutting bale strings or castrating bull calves, but that's more a utility purpose.

Any one else implement their knives for self defense, home defense, etc? Anyone carry one instead of a gun sometimes...or in addition to? Attended any combat knife classes/instruction?

I carry a Gerber Stud Gator when I do my walks. Its got that neat rubber handle which I think would insure I could hang on to it if I got into a big battle with an aggressive Chihuahua!

I also have some SOGs, Benchmades and a few assorted made in China knives. And a big hunting knife made by a custom knife maker up in Washington state.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dethlokk said:
For carrying around, I have a black stiletto switchblade with a 6" blade and a 4" boot knife. For more "extreme" situations, I have a KA-BAR fighting knife with an 8" serrated blade and a 12" kukri. I also have several throwing knives, as well as a butterfly knife... but those are more for tricks than anything...
I always liked butterfly knives and think they are intimidating in the hands of someone real skilled with them. I had a Gerber boot knife while on duty and loved it...didn't know if they were still part of anyone's carry scheme. Do you practice much with the throwing knives? Always thought that was an intersting talent

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have lots of knives in my collection but I would not carry one for self defense.
Ever seen anyone pull a knife and threaten someone with a gun from a distance?
That didn't work! :-B-:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Only Ka-Bar combat knives are considered part of my arsenal. I own 3 of them currently.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Well, other than my razor sharp fishing knife and some cheap no name brand folder I found, the only knife I really enjoy is my Leatherman Wave multi tool. I've had that thing for so long I don't even remember.

G

·
I always have my benchmade 3550 auto with me. I also have a ka-bar, S&W fighting knife, an old timer field knife, one of those mini gerber applegate knives, a colt survival knife and a huge one that I got from a buddy of mine before I deployed. I use to have a Marine bayonet (literally "acquired" from a Marine, don't ask), but sold it to one of the replacements on the way out of Iraq.

G

·
I almost always am carrying three plus my Leatherman.

Itty bitty Kershaw

Kershaw folding Hunter

Ka Bar Tanto fixed blade that Pabooger gave me.

I like knives, guns, whiskey and (female) redheads. Anything beyond these is just gravy.

Doug

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I always carry a Remington stockman for work. I also daily carry a defensive folder. This will vary dependind on my location that day and my mood. Right now it is a CRKT M-21. I also carry Benchmades, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Gerber, etc.

I always have a blade on me as well when I carry my gun. The knife will never jam or run outa ammo. I have taken a few years of private knife fighting lessons and attended a couple of seminars. I train with a friend of mine with wooden replicas.

I would rather use a gun but I am prepared for blade use too.

·
Cyber Version of Myself
534 Posts
I have various folders laying around the house, several multi-tools, a couple of fixed blade hunting knives, and a CRKT Stiff Kiss that I attach to my PFD when paddling. I usually have a small folder of some sort in my pocket.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I keep my Kershaw 1550ST with me at all times - soon to go back to Kershaw for blade fix (hopefully). In addition, I have my K-Bar and a Japanese T 30 bayonet.

G

·
I always have a minimum of 2 on me at ALL times. If I am packing heat one of them may get moved to the other pocket. I have about 50 knives to choose from for defensive carry and a few more that are not very good choices for defensive carry( too big ). They are kind of like guns , you can never have too many.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am just getting into guns, but have been into knives for a while now. I have many knives, but always find the same three on my person at all times.

My main carry is a Spyderco Mini Manix. It used to be a Benchmade Rukus (a bit too big), followed by a Benchmade 710 (beautiful knife, but just doesn't cut as well as my Manix. I use this knife when I need to dress up), and finally settled on the Manix. I also always carry a Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife, and a Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit (modified with a pocket clip). I find myself using each of these almost every day. I never leave home without them.

Forgot to mention that I also carry a Benchmade Morpho Balisong. I usually only flip this for fun though. I don't really use it. Nice knife, but not as good a flipper as the BM42 I used to have.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The only knives I've owned are for cleaning fish.

Not to be all tin-foil-hat here, but if I get into a knife fight, I'll lose.

I spend knife money on a good pair of running shoes ;)

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Redhwk44 said it:You can never have too many

Amen

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I am not much of a knife person, but I do have a few that I use on a regular basis.

At all times I have a Benchmade 3550 auto. I would not have spent that much on a knife, but it was issued to me several years ago. And I have long since left that unit.

Hunting? I will either carry my Ka-Bar, or a Bowie knife my dad gave me, that his dad gave him.

I also have a Gerber Freeman gutting knife stuck in between the seats of my truck (to cut the seatbelt).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts