National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several claims made that Glocks are unsafe due to the lack of an external safety. I have also read of two different motorcycle cops crashing and sliding on their holsters for several yards with no discharge. Does anyone have PERSONAL knowledge of a Glock firing accidentally? I carry a Glock 27 and I sometimes wonder if the family jewels are in harm's way. The piece was VERY accurate right out of the box, easy to conceal and very lightweight, so my safety is my only concern. I have a Taurus Millenium, also in .40 cal., a Uzi in 9mm and a S&W .357 revolver, but the Glock is the one I shoot best. I added Trijicon night sights, other than that no modifications. Your insights are appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Both my sons have carried Glocks since they came out, no problems. My LE son has to carry a non Glock issue handgun. Off duty he carries a Glock. All Georgia State LEs carry Glocks, most city and county cops do too. I've never heard a report of accidential discharge. I carried a G-27 for years, never a problem. Now upgraded to G-30, no problems for the 1k rounds I've put thru it.

Honestly though, there is one problem that every Glock has- butt ugly.

Carry my Kimber for dress up occassions.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think most accidental discharges by Glocks are caused by carelessness of the person holding the gun (think there is some video of a fed LEO having an AD in a classroom with a Glock). That goes for most models and manufacturers. There are stories of Glocks going full auto when a different model magazine is inserted in them, etc. But they must be reliable and accurate, because a whole lot of LE agencies depend on them. I personally have 2 problems with them:

1. Since there is no 'real' safety...if you're on duty and lose it in a fight, the bad guy will have no difficulty pointing it and shooting you...not the case with other semi-auto models generally. At least you would have time to draw another weapon or try to retake it from him if he was confused about the safety.

2. Like Whompuss said, they are ugly and I have never been able to get the 'feel' for one yet. 1911's feel so much more right. Hard to explain.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I also have a Glock 27 because I am most accurate with it.

But I agree with SBH's #1, point and shoot can work against you in rare cases.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
#1 Glocks were designed to be combat handguns
#2 No gun goes off by itself..without someone pulling the trigger
#3 The guy at the top always gets a bad rap...it's called jealousy
#4 The only real safety of any handgun is the person who possesses that handgun
#5 No external hardware devices can compensate for ineptness
#6 Practice retention or carry a BUG
#7 Ugly has nothing to do with any of it....is a BG going to keel over in shock at the sight of your pretty gun?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
#7 Ugly has nothing to do with any of it....is a BG going to keel over in shock at the sight of your pretty gun?

I have to agree. If you look at the number of Glocks on the street and had the statistics to show how many accidents happened per Glock vs other handguns the Glocks would be a sure winner.

Its very hard to accidently fire that gun if your finger is off the trigger. I have far more fear of popping off my 1911s then my Glock. Its all about training, training and more training.

I will always choose my 1911 over my Glock for carry. But the Glock is accurate enough to get the job done, easy to break down, and reliable to boot!

Yes the Glock is getting a bad rap, but not from me or most of the members on this forum.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Keep your booger jerker off the bang stick until it's on target and you will never have a problem with any gun. :rolleyes:

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
LEO officers practice it intensely...it still happens. Especially while breaking up fights/disturbances where there are multiple suspects.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I agree w/SBH. Sometimes that's easier said than done. Also, regardless of safe practice of not putting finger on trigger, in a shoot situation and a finger being legitimately on the trigger, with nerves or with cold (freezing/shivering) there is very little motion necessary to activate the Glock trigger. --I KNOW-- that's unsafe practice and can be improved with training -- I'm just saying what happens in the real world.

Bottom line, for me at least, is that I'm not LE anymore, so I can carry what I want. Several other firearms just 'feel' better to my hand.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If anyone wants to forego one of the most reliable, affordable, and accurate self defense handguns because they don't trust themselves to follow the basic rules of gun safety, then I guess that's up to them.

I would have no problem carrying a Glock, and in fact I will once I buy smaller one (only have a G21 atm- just a bit big to CC).

One thing I will say: If you just can't bring yourself to carry your Glock with one in the chamber, then leave it at home, and carry one you can deal with being ready to fire. Carrying in condition 3 is more likely to get you killed than carrying a gun you think might ND. When you really NEED it, you may very well not have time to rack that slide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

+1 for me. I, along with approx. 500 other LEO's in my county carry Glocks on a daily basis. Accidental discharges are very rare, but would happen none the less with any firearm. Glocks are ugly and lack a manual safety just like a revolver, but go bang every time.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
I badmouth the Glock. I do not badmouth its "lack of a safety". The ultimate "safety" on any firearm resides between your ears.

Reactions: Gunrnr
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the dilly:

I love the 1911 and the Hi Power. I own at least several of each. I have carried both on duty...I started my LE career with a Sheriffs Dept that had an 8-page approved weapons list. I carried the Hi Power in summer, as the best 9mm jhps available then were the Federal 9BP which may or may not expand reliably if fired through heavier winter clothing. In the short winter months here in AZ, I carried a slick little Combat Commander in .45acp loaded with 230 Remington jhps.

Fast forward a couple of years, I have finished my BA and I am hired by a federal agency whose issue piece was the 3" Smith Model 13. Your only other choice is a Smith Model 36 Chiefs Special for off duty or as a BUG. This was no problem for me, as the Smith K Frame is my favorite revolver, and have owned one or several since I was 10 when my Dad gave me a 5" M&P (pre Model 10).

Forward one more year, agency wide we switch to Glock 17's. I went from shooting 275/300 to shooting 290/300. In the 20 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds that have followed...I have never had ANY kind of failure with a Glock. NONE.

As for the issue of "accidental discharge"...there are none. What one has is a NEGLIGENT discharge.

Keepo your booger hook off the bang switch.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Here's the dilly:

I love the 1911 and the Hi Power. I own at least several of each. I have carried both on duty...I started my LE career with a Sheriffs Dept that had an 8-page approved weapons list. I carried the Hi Power in summer, as the best 9mm jhps available then were the Federal 9BP which may or may not expand reliably if fired through heavier winter clothing. In the short winter months here in AZ, I carried a slick little Combat Commander in .45acp loaded with 230 Remington jhps.

Fast forward a couple of years, I have finished my BA and I am hired by a federal agency whose issue piece was the 3" Smith Model 13. Your only other choice is a Smith Model 36 Chiefs Special for off duty or as a BUG. This was no problem for me, as the Smith K Frame is my favorite revolver, and have owned one or several since I was 10 when my Dad gave me a 5" M&P (pre Model 10).

Forward one more year, agency wide we switch to Glock 17's. I went from shooting 275/300 to shooting 290/300. In the 20 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds that have followed...I have never had ANY kind of failure with a Glock. NONE.

As for the issue of "accidental discharge"...there are none. What one has is a NEGLIGENT discharge.

Keepo your booger hook off the bang switch.

I think you hit the nail on the head!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
If everything mechanical is in working order, Glocks are as safe as any firearm out there. I just don't like the way they feel in my hand. They feel icky to hold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there is not a safety device of any kind in this world that can take the place of common sense and basic firearms safety, period!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Its the grip angle for me, I just cant warm up to a glock. And, the unsupported chamber, leaving bulged brass, some reloaders dont like to use glock-fired brass. I have reloaded an odd peice or two with no problems though. As for the safety issue, how is it a different argument than with a revolver?

I prefer the XD over the glock, but not because there's anything wrong with a glock, it's just not right. Does that make any sense?

·
Banned
921 Posts
I think most accidental discharges by Glocks are caused by carelessness of the person holding the gun (think there is some video of a fed LEO having an AD in a classroom with a Glock). .
He then went on to sue the Feds for releasing the tape and ruining his rep.
Video of him shooting himself
[video=google;1183904817279114761]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1183904817279114761[/video]
I like that he says "i'm the only person in this room professional enough" to carry whatever kind of glock he is holding, then he shoots himself by mistake.
And this is the law suit
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Sorry about that back on topic
I think glocks are fine, but they arent my cup of tea. I just think its like Macs Vs PC. Both get the job done, but I aint ever gonna use a MAC.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
back to the original question of are Glocks getting a bad rap?

No. But I do think what we are starting to see is the backlash from unrealistic claims, exaggerated statements from unknowledgable people, and saturation advertising hype.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
back to the original question of are Glocks getting a bad rap?

No. But I do think what we are starting to see is the backlash from unrealistic claims, exaggerated statements from unknowledgable people, and saturation advertising hype.
Well put as usual, DS. I think that the Glock has been around long enough and in the hands of enough people, both professional and non-professional, that the myths and legends surrounding the product have begun to blur the truth. Yes, it's a reliable, accurate, versatile, durable product. That is documented. But the anecdotal stories and almost mythic claims are not conducive to any kind of factual assessment of the piece. I would like to see armorers' records form a really large PD or SO that has used them for a significant period of time (maybe 5 to 10 yrs) with a comparison to their previous or subsequent issue sidearm. Breakage rates, FTF rates, and so on, might give a more accurate comparison to other similar firearms in a much more statistical manner. That said, I have never seen such a study nor do I know if any exist. Sure would be interesting to see, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts