National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after researching for a few days, this is what I have found out about California law reguarding "Assault Rifles" (Even though there is no such thing as an assault rifle).

Basically, assault rifles have been completely banned in california. You're not going to find any normal dealer selling completely functional AR15's out of their store. However, there are some ways around the ban. You can buy them as kits, or buy a top kit and a complete lower receiver separately from SOME manufacturers. For some reason there is a ban on major manufacturer AR15 parts. I think someone fooled some lawmaker into thinking that the way the law read would ban all assault rifles.

Now another provision to this law is that in order for the rifle to be leagal you have to do one of two things. A) Have a clip that is non-removable, so you have to partly disasemble the gun in order to load it from the top of the lower receiver. (10 round magazines of course) OR B) Have a clip release that requires a tool for it to function. This can include a set screw that requires an alen wrench, or something more creative. The law doesn't specify what a tool is, so they came up with a mag release called a bullet button. Basically it uses a .223 or 5.56mm bullet tip to depress a button to release the mag. The nanny state never ceases to amaze me.

I'm inclined to go with a version with a set screw, and here's why. It is very easy to just leave the screw out and use the magazines as normal. My great question is, what is stopping anyone who wants to shoot up the streets with their AR or AK or whatever from just unscrewing the set screw and using their magazines as normal. The lawmakers in my state are completely mentally challenged... Lucky for me I can still get an AR leagally, at least for a little while longer. Just thought I would share with anyone who was interested in the California laws regarding "Assault Weapons"... sheep

baaaa

G

·
Yeh I'm in San Diego and still trying to figure out these laws.
I have to be careful what I ask and who I ask.
Have to check out this bullet button thing, sounds interesting.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh I'm in San Diego and still trying to figure out these laws.
I have to be careful what I ask and who I ask.
Have to check out this bullet button thing, sounds interesting.
I basically found this out by talking to different firearms dealers. One told me that they wouldn't transfer a stripped lower because they don't deal with AR15's (too many possible legal reprecussions) A guy then proceded to explain the law and pull out his lower with the 'non removable' clip. I kinda laughed that the dealer didn't transfer the weapons, but still opted to own one. :D

Anyway, here is a site that sort of breaks it down. It's not the most organized, but it will help you get the gist of it. http://lee.org/blog/2007/04/23/fully-legal-ar-15-in-california/

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel for you guys in Cali. I am from Canada and we don't even have as bad of gun laws as you guys.
Hahaha, you heard it here first folks. California is worse than Canada. It's time for me to move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts