National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You who know me. You know I'm not crazy about AR's in general. Mostly it's the grip. To me, a rifle should be more like an M1 or M14. I love an english stock. ... I owned an AR. Wasn't impressed. It was a Colt H-Bar. 223.
Anyways....
Until now...
This is what an AR is all about to me....
AR

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
interesting......the barrel comes off like an AR7.......

Reactions: PrairieHunt

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Kris Paronto is a top shelf guy and Benghazi survivor (13 Hours). His parents own a golf pro shop here in town and I've met him when he taught a tactical pistol/carbine course locally. Would love to have one of his Toolbox AR's.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For over 20 years I used a AR A2 with a 3-9 power scope and a cheek high rise attachment. to hunt coyotes. In that time I killed over 100 dogs and enjoyed all the hunts. Back in Nam did see a few VC after they took a round of 5.56 ammo. Kind of looked like the coyotes (DEAD). I like the M4 because it is small and the round works well on humans. Each to his own it is a big world.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
For over 20 years I used a AR A2 with a 3-9 power scope and a cheek high rise attachment. to hunt coyotes. In that time I killed over 100 dogs and enjoyed all the hunts. Back in Nam did see a few VC after they took a round of 5.56 ammo. Kind of looked like the coyotes (DEAD). I like the M4 because it is small and the round works well on humans. Each to his own it is a big world.
I agree. They keep calling it a "varmint rifle". Tell that to the school kids that have seen the effectiveness of that "varmint rifle", and like you said, the Vietcong. I doubt the military would send in their troops with a rifle meant for opossums,

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided to look seriously at AR's. I found that a 16 inch barrel feels small, quick, and handy enough to fit a pistol grip well. Especially with an extending stock. Feels really good to me. With a red dot sight is really nice.
I am wondering. Saw 14.5 inch barreled ones online. They get into the realm of a pistol? It's regulations?

·
Premium Member
Keep honking... I'm reloading!
496 Posts
dupe

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,712 Posts
Decided to look seriously at AR's. I found that a 16 inch barrel feels small, quick, and handy enough to fit a pistol grip well. Especially with an extending stock. Feels really good to me. With a red dot sight is really nice.
I am wondering. Saw 14.5 inch barreled ones online. They get into the realm of a pistol? It's regulations?
SBR. People are permanently attaching flash hiders to overcome barrel length laws. My opinion, 1.5” isn’t worth a prison sentence if the ATF decides to change their minds and you didn’t get the memo.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've also seen some 'stabillizers' in place of stocks that appear a little far fetched. ????

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
You can get a SBR if they are legal in your home state but they fall under the NFA and require doing paperwork, a long wait and a $200 tax stamp. You can do a pistol, again if they are legal in your home state. They either have a brace or just a bare buffer tube at the back. At this point i would honestly stay away from braces as they are under much scrutiny right now. Or you could just do a normal rifle with a 16" or more barrel and walk out the door with it and be done until the feds deem the so called "assault rifle" illegal. Might happen tomorrow or might never happen.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Just buy an AR pistol (an AR with shorter than 16" barrel) with stabilizing brace. Some of those braces extend in and out. You can shoulder it and shoot it like a rifle. But it's a pistol.

Legal (at least in my state) and no special SBR/NFA paperwork or tax stamps required... just another firearm you can buy, shoot, own, sell, trade with no special paperwork.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Just buy an AR pistol (an AR with shorter than 16" barrel) with stabilizing brace. Some of those braces extend in and out. But it's a pistol.
^^^ this... (y)

Here a few examples of AR pistols I've built with braces that extend in and out:

.300 Blackout - 9" barrel

Machine gun Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

.223/5.56 - 10.5" barrel

Air gun Wood Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel

.45 ACP- 7" barrel

Plant Trigger Air gun Machine gun Military camouflage

9mm - 9.5" barrel

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^ this... (y)...Here a few examples of AR pistols I've built with braces that extend in and out:...
Those look really nice. I'd be happy with any of them. I can even see in them. The questionable 'braces'. But I like em.
I"m at home for a little over a week. Know inflation is going to go nuts. Buy now. Anything... buy it now. Focusing on necessities. Picked up two Rugers and a Mossberg. 16 inch AR 5.56 with nice extras from factory... extending butt stock, nice sights. A Mark IV all black with threaded barrel end and rails. Clean looking. None of the fancy looking BS. Got red dot sights for both. Also a defense shotgun. Nice, nothing fancy.
I'm not going to say more on purchases. No pictures. Not with this administration's political atmosphere.
Oh.. had to change my license address. ATF won't let me purchase a gun with a PMB address. So changed it back to my actual home address.
My gun cabinet is now stuffed full.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
^^^ thanks PH... I really enjoy building the ARs and getting them out to send lead downrange. I'd like to eventually cough up the $$ for the stamp to put together an SBR, but in the meantime the pistols will scratch my current itch.

Who knows which way the pistol brace ruling will eventually go, but I'm adhering to the regulations as best I can. All four of them have SB Tactical braces and when firing them, the braces are rested against my cheek. I'm sure I sacrifice accuracy doing so, but my better half would be less than pleased to have a G-Man with badge show up knocking on my door for shouldering them. All the lowers on each one are either dedicated pistol lowers or multi-cal. None of them were originally rifle lowers. The one .223/5.56 does (or did at the time of the picture) have a foregrip, but it's angled and not a vertical grip making it a no no. With all that said, it's my understanding those features make them pistols and not SBRs requiring the wait and tax stamps.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
27,334 Posts
ARs in 5.56X45mm or 300 Blackout are poodle shooters. Here is my AR-15 in .50 Beowulf.
Poodle shooters? IMO, 5.56 was used by the U.S. military. 300 Blackout is basically a .30-06/.308 short and would do well as a hunting round for deer, coyotes, hogs, etc.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ultimately I'd love an AR like Kris Poronto was selling. 308 Blackout and all. Talk about Rock and Roll!
I can afford it now too. Now with my health. I'd probably injure myself having fun with it.
Have to admit. A 16 incher on 5.56 is good enough. I like it very much.
I don't need to be fooling with regulations either. Only thing added is a red dot sight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts