National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one would you consider to be the best when it comes to durability? I dont like having a gun for only 5 months and having to send it off? Anyone have any good experiances they can share?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
stag arms bsure does make A good AR. I own two of them and they are fantastic. One of the better rifles out of the 15 I have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bushmaster is overpriced.

ive built several ar15s and i have my preferred setup as anyone will. as long as you get a mil-spec ar with tight tolerances you'll be fine. stay away from Olympic arms. alot of there stuff isnt milspec. some colts came with different size trigger pins so replacement parts are a little more expensive.

the best way to get an ar is to build it yourself. its easy. just find a lower reciever. and then order a parts kit. you can get a good quality ar for around 7 hundred. but if you tried to buy the bushmaster equivalent in a shop you d pay 1200

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colt Hbar is great, but expensive. I bided my time and found a mint used match grade for $800. No way would I pay the price for a new one. DPMS is a good, lesser priced rifle. As previously posted they ae easy to build. I used to have a Colt Hbar upper on a DPMS lower. Great rifle for less than a 100% Colt.
For the best bang for your buck: Bushmaster. My son is currently in the land of towel head fanatics. His issue rifle is made by Bushmaster. Every day he bets his life on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not a fan of the colt. there QA went to hell mid to late 70s and i just never really forgave them. for my money DPMS if i was gonna buy another assembled rifle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a Rock River, no complaints and I ordered a DPMS last week. Hope it's a good one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price was right, thats what I liked about it. I ordered it from Atlantic Firearms, ordered it on line, so I have to wait on shipping. Can't hardly wait................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Big fan of Bushies (I have a couple of 'em). Right now, they are one of two mfg for the military. FN in South Carolina (?) is the other -- that's right folks, a Belgian M-16! I am not sure whether Colt has a current contract or not, but I'm pretty sure they're building for non-military LEAs.

I think that my next AR will be a Stag -- I want to try one of their lefties. Hope I like it better than when I bought a left-handed bolt gun. That didn't work out too well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bushmaster when I purchased mine they were competitively priced with other brands with the same options.
I am partial to bushmaster as they are made in Maine but I consider them one of the top three Ar's made.
I am not talking about some bastardized rifle made out of a pile of miss and matched parts.I am talking about
genuine manufactures parts through and through.I am not an expert so I refer you to a forum that knows way more about AR's
than I will ever hope to know.Check out AR15.com for your answers you seek.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've had several different brands of AR and I've been most impressed with the Bushmasters. I'm a brat -- I can own any brand I want -- and I have two Bushies; a 16" flattop and a 24" E2. Thousands of rounds through them and not one mechanical issue, so far.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for Rock River

Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River all make great stuff but is a bit more expensive. The next tier of good brands is DPMS or Stag, both offer a nice product at a good price.

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dpms actually makes alot of the goverment contract stuff. i know better than half the guns in our armory here are rebarreld with a dpms

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gunrnr said:
Big fan of Bushies (I have a couple of 'em). Right now, they are one of two mfg for the military. FN in South Carolina (?) is the other -- that's right folks, a Belgian M-16! I am not sure whether Colt has a current contract or not, but I'm pretty sure they're building for non-military LEAs.

I think that my next AR will be a Stag -- I want to try one of their lefties. Hope I like it better than when I bought a left-handed bolt gun. That didn't work out too well.
I would like to see where Bushmaster makes rifles for the US military...They do not make anything Mil-Spec on any of their rifles
Mil-Spec: Colt, LMT, CMT (Stag, S&W, CMMG), FN
Commercial: Everyone Else (Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Olympic, etc.)

Of those last time I checked FN and Colt were the sole suppliers to to the US Military

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just to let you in on a little secret. I used to be the shop forman at LAR manufacturing. We were the OEM manufacturer for ar/m16 recievers. We used to sell recievers to dpms Armalite Colt FN Bushmaster and some others that I can't remember offhand. They were all the same part just stamped with the appropriate logo and serial number.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sell a lot of stripped AR15 receivers and as long as it isn't a Vulcan, they all seem to be nearly the same. Of the lowers I own and have sold basically the main difference is the logo and the finish. Other than that, a forged lower receiver is a forged lower receiver. I would recommend any of these brands listed in a rough order of what I think is the nicest.

LMT
POF
MEGA
CMMG
RRA
Centermass Tactical Solutions CALGUNS
Stag
LAR
Sun Devil
Spike's Tactical
Superior Arms

I have also dealt with the following lowers a little and would think you couldn't go wrong with them, but I don't own them myself.

Double Star
Ameetec
Lauer Custom Weaponry LCW-15

Also last on my list is Essential Arms. They are the ugliest recievers ever, but they supposedly work and if you don't mind having an ugly black rifle, they certainly are cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I never heard of Double Star until this past year. They make quality stuff. I bought one of their lowers, and am completely happy with it. I believe it to be every bit the equal in quality to my Bushmaster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts