National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am currently running a Holosun HS510C red dot (link) and I am looking to add the Riton 3x multiplier (link). Can anyone suggest the red dot mount I would need to accomplish this? Is there a certain height I need to get?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
Looked up your sights OP. You will have over 500.00 invested till your done. IMO i would by scope with illumitated cross hairs. You can get a decent scope for that and have more magnification. (y)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi all - I am currently running a Holosun HS510C red dot (link) and I am looking to add the Riton 3x multiplier (link). Can anyone suggest the red dot mount I would need to accomplish this? Is there a certain height I need to get?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have both the HS5010C red dot and the HE510C-GR green dot. I have the green dot one mounted on my Tavor SAR 7 with a Vortex Micro 3x magnifier. They work well together.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Camera Camera accessory

Automotive design Machine gun Gas Engineering Optical instrument

·
Premium Member
Keep honking... I'm reloading!
484 Posts
@GRBOU812 may be able to help ya.
I'm was running a 510 for a spell with a Holosun HM3X magnifier and the center height for Abs. CW is 1.41", while the center height for lower 1/3 CW is 1.63". The HM3X comes with a spacer that can be installed or removed to go either way which makes is easy. I looked at the specs of the Riton magnifier and didn't see CW specs, but perhaps you have them already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked up your sights OP. You will have over 500.00 invested till your done. IMO i would by scope with illumitated cross hairs. You can get a decent scope for that and have more magnification. (y)
My AR was built mainly for home defense, it has a 11.5" barrel. I am a newish gun owner so I am trying to figure this out as I go. I want to keep the red dot but also get some magnification to shoot longer distances at the outdoor range I am a member of.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
Optics on a home defense weapon makes no sense. A laser ( again a poor choice) would make more sense. An AR for home defense is also a poor choice. A 600 yard rifle for a 12’ room with the very real possibility of over penetration into the house next door or worse the next room with people in the line of fire is a poor choice. Get yourself a shotgun with birdshot and you’ll destroy any target within 20’ without going through the next 3 rooms.

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
The guns i have ready to go for home defense is my Shotgun a 22 pistol and a .380 pistol. None of them will penirate my walls. Their old horse hair plaster. I had a accidental discharge with my 45 acp. Hard cast lead. The bullet did not go through the wall. If you have thin drywall walls then yes shotgun is best like Stamps suggested. I suggested an actual scope for your AR because you will get bored real fast with 3x on the range. They have ways to cowitness red dots with scopes these days. Here is a cheap example. I put one of them on an AR for someone. Wasn't impressed with it. But there is better quality out there.
Amazon.com : Rifle Scope Combo 4-12x50EG Dual Illuminated with Laser Sight 4 Holographic Reticle Red/Green Dot for Weaver/Rail Mount (Green Laser) : Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Optics on a home defense weapon makes no sense. A laser ( again a poor choice) would make more sense. An AR for home defense is also a poor choice. A 600 yard rifle for a 12’ room with the very real possibility of over penetration into the house next door or worse the next room with people in the line of fire is a poor choice. Get yourself a shotgun with birdshot and you’ll destroy any target within 20’ without going through the next 3 rooms.
Curious as to where you got the empirical evidence to form your opinions. You might read up on some actual testing of the myth that an AR will penetrate more than pistols or shotguns in a home defense situation. Also having an optic on a home defense weapon may not make sense in your head but can be a perfectly good choice for others.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
Ok I read your article and it just dismissed the shotgun because of the writer’s personal belief. He used a Turkey round. To say that that is a stout round would be fair. He didn’t complete his tests with the shotgun. Had he have used a normal #6 shot, I believe his results would have shown minimal over penetration. When the rifle went through 11 sheets of drywall, it the equivalent of an apartment complex. The reality is that a 5.56 NATO round or God forbid a 62grn green tip, would go through those 11 sheets and at a good speed. I’ll take a shotgun load of #6’s after 2 sheets of drywall rather than a 62 grain green tip after 11 sheets. The science doesn’t hold up. A single 55 grain projectile has much more kinetic energy than a single #6 pellet. I shoot pheasants every weekend this time of year and even a too close dead on 20ga shot reveals very few pellets in the meat. Most of the energy is absorbed by the feathers.
If you fire your weapon, you are responsible for that bullet and where it winds up. A shotgun round of #6 shot will only travel 150 yards before dropping to the ground. That 5.56 will go a mile or more. Do the math. Do what you want but realize what science and physics say, can’t be denied.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok I read your article and it just dismissed the shotgun because of the writer’s personal belief. He used a Turkey round. To say that that is a stout round would be fair. He didn’t complete his tests with the shotgun. Had he have used a normal #6 shot, I believe his results would have shown minimal over penetration. When the rifle went through 11 sheets of drywall, it the equivalent of an apartment complex. The reality is that a 5.56 NATO round or God forbid a 62grn green tip, would go through those 11 sheets and at a good speed. I’ll take a shotgun load of #6’s after 2 sheets of drywall rather than a 62 grain green tip after 11 sheets. The science doesn’t hold up. A single 55 grain projectile has much more kinetic energy than a single #6 pellet. I shoot pheasants every weekend this time of year and even a too close dead on 20ga shot reveals very few pellets in the meat. Most of the energy is absorbed by the feathers.
If you fire your weapon, you are responsible for that bullet and where it winds up. A shotgun round of #6 shot will only travel 150 yards before dropping to the ground. That 5.56 will go a mile or more. Do the math. Do what you want but realize what science and physics say, can’t be denied.
So in your opinion you say his shotgun test is unrealistic because of the shell he used and then you yourself dismiss an AR15 for home defense by using M855 steel tip rounds as your example. Have you performed similar testing with a range of shotgun shells and layers of sheetrock? You keep using specific numbers of layers of sheetrock that #6 will go through. Do you have video of your testing to prove it stops at 2 sheets and that the pattern has spread significantly by sheet 2? What were the distances between the sheets during your test?

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
I used specific numbers of Sheetrock because your article used those numbers. Watch the videos I posted and tell me that the AR is the better home defense weapon. You cling to your one article as definitive evidence. Did you do any tests? Do you have proof I’m wrong? Can you show me any data that states I’m not following real science? Have you ever studied physics? Einstein had some thoughts that I’m sure you’ll want to argue with him about. If you came here for an argument you’ll be disappointed. I don’t believe your mind is open and you want to believe you’re right. So be it.Enjoy and bury your head in the sand. We’ve hyjacked this thread and I’m sure it’s been entertaining. If you can prove me wrong then feel free to show me more than one article that just dismissed the shotgun. This is a subject that has been debated many times. I believe I’ve shown why I feel the way I do but you’ve shown me nothing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used specific numbers of Sheetrock because your article used those numbers. Watch the videos I posted and tell me that the AR is the better home defense weapon. You cling to your one article as definitive evidence. Did you do any tests? Do you have proof I’m wrong? Can you show me any data that states I’m not following real science? Have you ever studied physics? Einstein had some thoughts that I’m sure you’ll want to argue with him about. If you came here for an argument you’ll be disappointed. I don’t believe your mind is open and you want to believe you’re right. So be it.Enjoy and bury your head in the sand. We’ve hyjacked this thread and I’m sure it’s been entertaining. If you can prove me wrong then feel free to show me more than one article that just dismissed the shotgun. This is a subject that has been debated many times. I believe I’ve shown why I feel the way I do but you’ve shown me nothing.
So then you admit your 2 sheet fact was more of an opinion not based on any actual testing. That's all you needed to say. I am clinging to one article? Hahaha ok. There are literally more articles and actual videos corroborating it than you can count. It's okay I fully expected the goto tactic of disparaging my one article when your "factual statement" gets called out as the opinion that it is. In the future when you want to state your opinion (which is fine to do btw) it's more helpful to just preface your statement with "In my opinion" instead of trying to portray it as fact. Have a nice day.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
ok let me correct this for you. In my opinion you’re a jerk who wants to twist and basically troll anyone you don’t agree with. I tried to give you solid examples and facts but your head is too far up your ass to carry on a real and honest conversation. Facts don’t matter and again you haven’t given any evidence as to why you feel I’m wrong. I’ll not waste anymore time with a troll.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ok let me correct this for you. In my opinion you’re a jerk who wants to twist and basically troll anyone you don’t agree with. I tried to give you solid examples and facts but your head is too far up your ass to carry on a real and honest conversation. Facts don’t matter and again you haven’t given any evidence as to why you feel I’m wrong. I’ll not waste anymore time with a troll.
When you got to the name calling is when I knew I won this debate. You proceeded quite predictably through the layers of losing an argument though. Hahaha
Rectangle Product Purple Triangle Line

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,634 Posts
Might I suggest the ignore feature

1 - 20 of 31 Posts