National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, this is my complete beginners guide to AR-15 lower receiver assembly - as I was a complete beginner this evening when starting the build... I had never handled an AR-15 before. I thought I'd take pictures as I remembered, and post any tips I had that could encourage other beginners to build their own rifle.

Firstly - I purchased a Doublestar stripped lower receiver, a bullet button mag log kit, and a modified 10 round, original 30 round pmag from my local dealer. www.coldwarshooters.com. They have a local store on Palm Avenue in Highland, Ca.

Then I purchased an M4 rifle kit from www.del-ton.com which had everything I needed to complete my rifle assembly (including lower parts kit).

This is the complete rifle kit before assembly. (I forgot to place the lower in this picture, my apologies).

Now before trying to assemble the lower, I looked for guides. The guide I used solely, was from AR-15.com, and can be found here... http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
I will make references to this guide throughout my guide.

1. The first step was the magazine catch assembly - this wsa very straightforward in the guide... just remember to pay attention to the orientation of the lower in the pictures... it helps to take note of what side they are referring to for all assembly steps.

2. Triger guard assembly was very straightforward as well. I used a flat punch with a small piece of wood under the lower flange, so I didn't bend it. I didn't have a 1/8" punch, instead I used a 3/8 center punch that was tapered to a point on the end. Be careful not to slide the punch, which would surely marr the finish of the lower.

3. The bolt catch assembly was a bit trickier. The spring and bult catch plunger actually go into a hole that is just lower than teh two rounded flanges that the pin goes through holding the bolt catch. It was hard to tell this by the picture, but if you read the steps it should be clear. Again, I used a 3/8" center punch for the roll pin in this step.

4. Pivot pin assembly was a bit trickier. The guide showed a special tool which I did not have, so I'll try to explain and show you how I completed this step fairly easily.

I had my brother's help on this step. He used the needlenose pliers to hold the detent pin. Then I held the pivot pin on top, you can use the flat edge to help you once you depres the pin a bit. You need to be careful though, as if you mess up slightly you can shoot both the spring and the detent pin, and they are small and hard to find. Pay close attention during this step. I then lowered the pivot pin until it fit in the hole using it the entire time to depress the spring and hold the detent pin in place.

5. Trigger assembly... this part is simple, again pay attention to the orientation of the lower in the pictures. Also when inserting the pin, it is easiest if you have ample light so you can see when you align the holes. If you do it right you can push the pin in easily with your thumb.

6. Hammer assembly: Pay careful attention to the picture that shows the hammer above the assembly. The spring should look like this. Again, the loop on the spring goes OVER the hook in the hammer. It's hard to tell by the picture. The their picture shows how the 'feet' on the hammer spring actually sits on the trigger assembly pin. The pin works just like the trigger assembly pin, and you can easily push it in with your thumb if you line it up correctly. Make sure to check the function as noted in the function check after inserting the pin.

7. Selector assembly step just has you insert the selector, it DOES NOT include puting the detent and spring in.. this is covered in the pistol grip assembly

8. Pistol Grip assembly is fairly easly. Just make sure that you put the pistol grip part of the way on, then place the detent pin and screw for the selector - making sure the selector is in the FIRE position. Then bend the spring slightly, being careful not to 'kink' it so that it goes into the hole on the pistol grip. Then lower the pistol grip in place so that it depresses the selctor switch spring. Then install the screw that holds the pistol grip.

9. I installed a telescoping stock, and it was a bit tricky - I wish I had a picture to describe this part.

The parts go in just as aligned there. Just remember that the buffer retainer actually holds the metal spring catch from protruding out of the hole that you screw the telescoping tube into. Also the plate hanging on holds the take down detent pin and spring... once the bufer retainer holds the spring and catch in place, you can press the plate into place and then screw down the locking ring... Also remember to check proper function of the fire selector once installed.

Now you have completed the lower assembly, and you can hook the pre-assembled upper into the takedown and pivot pins in order to complete the assembly of your AR-15 rifle. I hope that this helps and encourages newbies to build their own AR-15, as I was a complete amature when it came to this gun, and was able to do it in a couple of hours.
I hope I've been clear... Here are some more pictures. :D

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Me with a lazer sight IN MY EYE!!! :lol:

My arsenal, It's small, and needs improvement, but good...yeah, still good.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Looks great! Congrats on the build. Glad all those parts worked out well.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, at least I know the lower inside and out - Plus I had a lot of fun building it, and I was able to learn a lot about gun parts in general.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Good for you, that's great. Definitely puts you one-up on anyone who just buys a factory rifle.

Tooooo kewl!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a question. I want to buy a BCA AR-15 Complete Lower Assembly, Multi Caliber - Billet Lower with a .450 Bushmaster, 18" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 1:24 Twist, Mid-Length Gas System, 15" MLOK Rail|Upper|New MLOK & Spiral Flash Hider. Before I buy, would they be compatible?

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I'd say the first question you need to answer is; Is your desire to buy and possess this rifle compatible with the laws of your location. For instance, it is illegal to possess an AR-15 in Chicago and most of the surrounding area. Some exceptions exist.

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd say the first question you need to answer is; Is your desire to buy and possess this rifle compatible with the laws of your location. For instance, it is illegal to possess an AR-15 in Chicago and most of the surrounding area. Some exceptions exist.

Alan

Yes. I live in Danville, IL and I want to buy a Ruger AR 556 in .450 bushmaster but I could save money this way. I just don't know how to build an AR yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts