National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
18,016 Posts
I took my carbine to the 100 yard range a couple times. Once I zeroed at 100, did ok, didn't spend a lot of time on it. I went a second time and just kept it zeroed at 25 and adjusted my aim, did almost as good. There are youtube vids of guys with 7.5" barreled pistols shooting 100 and 200 yards. They'll do it, but with the design, the high sights, the bullet will cross zero at 25 yars and again at 300 yards, so you just expect about a 6-8 inch climb between those to points.

· Registered
18,016 Posts
I may be wrong about the 300 yards, it may be 100. The page I used to reference for trajectories doesn't have the diagrams anymore.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A long time ago. One of my issues of guns and ammo. Had trajectory charts in diagram form. The chart was spread out on 2 pages. I wish i had that copy now.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,012 Posts
It would depend on the caliber and barrel length of the AR. .22LR, 5.56, 300BLK, 6.5, etc.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's 223/556 brass im finding close to the target. Last week i ran into a group of shooters. The one guy had SW MP 15 and a 15-22. He was shooting off a bench with sand bags. And scope on them, Not red dots. And the targets they has set up were about 25-30 yards away, He was shooting steel plates.

· Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
We have a plate range for pistols set up at 50 yards and people shoot them all the time. The smallest targets are about 6" square. I shoot at them with iron sights and the misses are bare misses. Sure nice to get a hit and see that little plate swingin' after a nice "ding!"

--Wag--

Reactions: Popeye

· Registered
367 Posts
Before my right shoulder injuries and nerve damage down into my right arm, with a scope I could hit a dime at 100 yards with an AR15.

With open sights on one, my brother hit the bottom of a12 oz. Coke can 9 out of ten shots at 100 yards.

The brass you're picking up is probably from re-loaders and or cross target shooters. .

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Actually, I have seen a lot of people shooting AR’s at 25 yards. They either do not know the weapons capability, or are not capable/interested in doing so. I cannot count the number I have seen shooting rapidly at 25 yards and barely able to hit a silhouette target...
They are not interested in becoming proficient, just spraying bullets.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of the brass i pick up AR wise has the primer crimp. And some have that sealer stuff around the primer. And only one deflector ding in the cases. When i pick up other casings like hand gun and other rifle. I look for the matching box on the ground or in the trash barrel.

· Registered
17,521 Posts
I find the same thing at my range. when no one else is there shooting they walk out about 25 yds and shoot at the 50yd target, that's where i find lots of brass. I think it's mainly people shooting fast seeing if they can keep a mag in a certain size area.
I have 3, 1 with irons, one with a red dot and one with a scope. Rather than tailor loads for all 3 i just have one load that works decent in all 3 and really good in one. The scoped one i can easily shoot clays at 400yds and then start shooting the pieces until they are too small to see in the scope.

Reactions: Coalcracker

· Registered
302 Posts
I carried an M-16 in Viet Nam for a year. At seventy-four, I can still shoot cloverleaves at 100 yards with an AR-15 with iron sights and consistently ring the six-inch gong at 200 yards. With optics, I am good out to 500 yards.

The question is what is the energy of a 5.56X45mm bullet past 100 yards. I would not go deer hunting with an AR-15 in 5.56X45 unless it was all I had and it was for survival.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to find an area i can reach out with my 223 bolt action. Pipeline is an option maybe. Im not sure how far underground they are. It's gas lines. And they are always fixing them. Because of off roaders traveling the line.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.