National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker bought a AR-10. He's not a gun guy but is diving in head first now like many others. He took it to the range the other day and told me he had problems with it. After decifering his non gun language i found out it was not extracting the case from the chamber and trying to load a new round causing it to jam. This causes a bigger problem with fixed mag guns to clear. First i asked if he cleaned it when he bought it and he said no(didn't know he should) so i figured this might be the problem. Later that day i thought about it some more and asked what kind of ammo he was using and he mentioned several types one of which was steel case junk ammo which he used first. So i figured maybe he chambered was gummed up and told him to bring it over and i would clean it and show him how too. He did that last night but i didn't see anything unusual but cleaned it and told him to come to the range today. I also looked at the extractor and checked the spring which seem to look and work normal. Today every single round he fired would leave the case in the chamber but you could manually extract it after you closed the bolt again. It's a black rain ordinance rifle and i told him to google them while we were at the range and call them right now. He did but the tech guy wasn't there and he has to call back Monday. He's a bit frustrated after dropping almost 2k. What are others opinions as to what might be happening. besides a dirty chamber, bad extractor or maybe a chamber burr what else could be causing this? Hopefully the company will have him send it back or be able to tell him what the problem is over the phone.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
The gas block may be out of alignment, or out of adjustment?

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt seemed to function fine, it moved back and far enough to grab the next round. Am i missing something else? Not sure if the gas block is adjustable, i didn't either bother looking in that direction.

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
If I understand correctly, it fires and the extractor fails to pull the empty but the bcg travels far enough to pick up the next round? That does not sound like gas to me, more like an extractor issue. Sounds like it cannot hold on in the more violent auto extraction but can for manual. Does it have sufficient tension I wonder...? I guess you will find out with the tech guy, but it sounds like an extractor and/or spring to me.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's what it's doing. The extractor does not look broke, chipped or worn and the spring seems rather stiff. I can't really pull on the extractor with my finger nail. With the BCG out and a case inserted and held straight againt the ejector i can't pull the case off the bolt head by hand. My only guess is something with the chamber. You can extract by hand and it seems rather tough to do but this is my first time playing with a AR-10, not sure how much difference in force is require versus a AR-15 with a smaller round. Either way i hope they figure it out and make good on it for him, i guess they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
Since the extractor works when the rifle is manually cycled, but not when the rifle was fired, it seems that the extractor isn't the problem. I suspect that the rifle was cycling too fast for the extractor to "grab" the cartridge shell, basically an over-gassed problem. Most of the time, this is more noticeable in carbine length rifles, instead of rifle or mid-length rifles. Gas blocks "should" be turned down until the rifle stops cycling, then back off to where the rifle cycles again, then an additional quarter turn for good measure. At least that is the way I was taught, whether it is right or wrong.

Reactions: underdog

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in other words it's trying to extract the case before the cases shrinks back after expanding?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
Basically. I'm not sure if the rifle is over-gassed or not, but it is what I was thinking when I read the OP.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the guy i work with ended up sending his gun back to black rain and they put a stiffer extractor spring in it. Guy got it back and put 30 rounds through it with no issues and on his 4th mag he started having failure to extract problems again. I told him this morning to call them again. He caught me at the fuel pumps this afternoon and said the guy called back and apparently a bunch of people have been having the same problem. According to what he was told they have it narrowed down to a bad batch of bolts that are somehow out of tolerance. They are going to send him a new bolt now. Not sure what in the bolt could be causing this unless it has something to do with restricting the extractor somehow? Not sure if they are sending a whole BCG or just the bolt. Maybe another problem could be something to do with the gas key too? Either way it seems like the company is trying to fix the problem which is good and hopefully they do get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts