National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two pistols that I adjusted the rear sights on so they are dead on for me when I shoot, but when I let others use them, they seem to be off. I'm thinking of using a bore sight to set them up. Anyone used one? Do they help? Thanks.

Dave :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought that the purpose of a bore sighting system was to set your rifle scope/sights to be close to the center of the target. Then you use the scope fine tuning to set it up to be dead nuts on at the distance you want to set the zero.

It saves you the big hassle of attempting to set your scope from scratch.

Never seen it used on a pistol before, I suppose if you have a scope on a hunting pistol you could use the bore sighting system for the same purpose. For open sights I don't see the need, they are adjusted at the factory to be close to perfect and are easy to fine tune at the range.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
sig232 said:
I may be wrong, but I thought that the purpose of a bore sighting system was to set your rifle scope/sights to be close to the center of the target. Then you use the scope fine tuning to set it up to be dead nuts on at the distance you want to set the zero.

Never seen it used on a pistol before, I suppose if you have a scope on a hunting pistol you could use the bore sighting system for the same purpose. For open sights I don't see the need, they are adjusted at the factory to be close to perfect and are easy to fine tune at the range.
Yep - that's the plan. I used one to sight in my PS90 at 50 yards. Got me on paper right away at 50 yards - it was 4 inches high at 10 o'clock, however - but it was just a matter of "dialing in" the Eotech.

If I have doubts about a handgun sights - I use handbags. I rest the magazinewell on a sandbag and then shoot the gun.

I had doubts about my USPc sights initially - but after sandbaggin the gun - the sights were spot on.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I used a laser boresighter for the first time a couple of months ago. I had just bought it as a b'day present to myself on my last Midway order.

I was at the range, test firing my 1898 Vintage S&W Mod 1½ (first time I'd ever fired it) and I couldn’t get it on paper the first 3 shots. I remembered that I had stashed the laser in the range bag.

It probably looked strange, a 100 yr-old revolver with a laser sticking out the barrel. Doesn’t matter, though – the next round went exactly where the laser said it would and I didn’t waste anymore of the very few rounds of .38 S&W that I have. I forgot what the little thing cost, but it started paying for itself on its first trip out of the pkg.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
shipwreck said:
sig232 said:

Yep - that's the plan. I used one to sight in my PS90 at 50 yards. Got me on paper right away at 50 yards - it was 4 inches high at 10 o'clock, however - but it was just a matter of "dialing in" the Eotech.

If I have doubts about a handgun sights - I use handbags. I rest the magazinewell on a sandbag and then shoot the gun.

I had doubts about my USPc sights initially - but after sandbaggin the gun - the sights were spot on.
So I just went back to re-read what I thought I had read. Do I understand correctly that you put your handbag on the sandbag, or are you putting a sandbag in your handbag? But then if you need something in the handbag, you’d have to remove the sandbag.

How does a thing like that work?

I’m so confuzzzzed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gunrnr said:
shipwreck said:
sig232 said:

So I just went back to re-read what I thought I had read. Do I understand correctly that you put your handbag on the sandbag, or are you putting a sandbag in your handbag? But then if you need something in the handbag, you’d have to remove the sandbag.

How does a thing like that work?

I’m so confuzzzzed!
LOL
gunrnr you are hilarious!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SheNine said:
....... and I'm concerned that we have members with handbags!! :eek: The fact that they have guns in them doesn't count! ;)
They're man bags. This was all explained in great detail in an episode of Friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts