National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
no idea.....but why did i suddenly think about the Hindenberg?

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
H2 is the most plentiful element in our universe. It can be used as fuel in several different ways, all of which may be viable in the future. But, probably not our futures.

Combustion is a form of using hydrogen as a fuel as hydrogen atoms are rearranged from organic carbon hydrogen compounds into carbon dioxide and water.

Alan

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
It will require a very sophisticated refueling scheme with hydrogen so that the regular "jack-ball" motorist doesn't level the neighborhood or city block while "topping-off" his/her I-95 Terrorcruiser.

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
By then everyone who is anyone will be smart and the peasantry will be busy growing food and refueling hydrogen tanks at a safe location...

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,974 Posts
It will require a very sophisticated refueling scheme with hydrogen so that the regular "jack-ball" motorist doesn't level the neighborhood or city black while "topping-off" his/her I-95 Terrorcruiser.
They said pretty much the same thing about gasoline, back in the day.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,410 Posts
no idea.....but why did i suddenly think about the Hindenberg?
LOL yeah but using it as fuel is a lot safer than blowing up a giant balloon with it and riding under :LOL:
The residue of hydrogen is water so zero pollution

Edit: A shut off valve can easily be mounted on the tank when the wanted pressure is reached. On the down side, high pressure gas tanks in a collision would have to be so friggin bullet proof the tank would have to be an inch thick or else KABOOM!

Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,974 Posts
We'll all be driving electric cars before hydrogen ones...which will never happen.
Electric cars are more harmful to our environment that petrol-powered vehicles and require more resources to build. As more vehicles go the electric route, those resources will come in shorter supply, driving (pun intended) up costs. Higher costs means higher prices, for vehicles as well as electricity. Building a hydrogen fueling network isn't any more challenging than building a electric charging network.

LOL yeah but using it as fuel is a lot safer than blowing up a giant balloon with it and riding under :LOL:
The residue of hydrogen is water so zero pollution

Edit: A shut off valve can easily be mounted on the tank when the wanted pressure is reached. On the down side, high pressure gas tanks in a collision would have to be so friggin bullet proof the tank would have to be an inch thick or else KABOOM!
The hydrogen explosive problem has already been solved. It requires a pressurized tank attached to the hydrogen storage tank, and it case of a collision, the pressurized tank would release a chemical into the hydrogen tank making the hydrogen inert. It works similar to airbags in vehicles now.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hydrogen takes too much space to store. Gasoline produces a lot of energy in the space it takes up.

Reactions: Wag

·
AZHerper
3,673 Posts
Electric cars are more harmful to our environment that petrol-powered vehicles and require more resources to build. As more vehicles go the electric route, those resources will come in shorter supply, driving (pun intended) up costs. Higher costs means higher prices, for vehicles as well as electricity. Building a hydrogen fueling network isn't any more challenging than building a electric charging network.

The hydrogen explosive problem has already been solved. It requires a pressurized tank attached to the hydrogen storage tank, and it case of a collision, the pressurized tank would release a chemical into the hydrogen tank making the hydrogen inert. It works similar to airbags in vehicles now.
Electric cars are more harmful to our environment than petrol-powered vehicles? You're going to have to explain that one to me and I'm an engineer.

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
Electric cars are more harmful to our environment than petrol-powered vehicles? You're going to have to explain that one to me and I'm an engineer.
Batteries. They have to be made somewhere and the cast off waste will destroy an environment in no time. The new rare-earth materials they're using for the batteries are tough to get out of the ground and also cause ecological devastation. Then you still have to run a power plant to generate the power needed to recharge the batteries. At some point, the batteries go bad and have to be replaced. Where do you throw away the old batteries?

That's the short version.

--Wag--

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
One of my frat brothers at GA Tech in the 70s was in a SCORE competition which was to make a car run on hydrogen - this isn't anything new. Big Oil doesn't like it because water doesn't cost as much as gas. That competition got him a job out of college with Chrysler. He converted an VW bug

\
\

Reactions: QuickdrawMcgraw

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
The power grid is straining under the present loads.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
The power grid is straining under the present loads.
And that load only gets exacerbated with every new battery device folks buy

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
Two different batteries, no? Lead and lithium? From what I have been reading Lithium is the one that is truly harmful. Though as long as the smug electric vehicle drives keep their noses in the air and their heads turned they will never see. Crying and standing for electric cars, and their electric / gas powered cars put out more harmful exhaust then gas powered cars to boot. Two power sources in a vehicle is not good and expensive in the long run. How many times are we told that you spend more gas and wear n tear turning over a vehicle then its running? Gas/electric does this every time it stops. They smugly stand by their electric junk because "its electric" and their thinking is, they just "plug it in".

I've always liked the hydrogen way seeing its the best option all round. In high school I remember student projects getting vehicles to run off of water. My friend was in one of these projects and it worked.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Don’t forget that the electricity for electric cars comes from fossil fuel so you’re not saving the environment, only making your self feel good.
I think we should be powering our cars with CNG. We are the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. Everywhere there is natural gas, at your home or business or downtown gas station, could become a gas station. They have no problem building explosion proof tanks with smash valves incase of an accident. You could fuel up at your own house with a meter to collect road use and state taxes. Seems like a no brained to me. They claim that you can’t get the power out of NG but between proper transmission gearing and higher compression engines, that’s ridiculous. If they can get 800 HP out of a gas engine then they can get 200HP from a NG engine.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
My former utility I worked for installed CNG stations in the Reno area for commercial fleet vehicles. UPS and Sprint were some of the customers; more and more buses are going to CNG as well.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,410 Posts
Don’t forget that the electricity for electric cars comes from fossil fuel so you’re not saving the environment, only making your self feel good

Nope, here it comes from a dam almost all electric power in QC comes from one dam or another we also had nuclear when it was a trend but I think they closed the last one 10 years ago I think we sell half of that power to the closest states in the US, New york and maybe a few others I never kept tabs cause I don't really care lol

Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
AZHerper
3,673 Posts
Amazon ordered 100,000 electric vans from Rivan. That's just the tip of the iceberg. As well as hydroelectric, we have wind and solar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts