National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have a 50 cal Hawkin muzzle loader on my wall. Never have fired it since its made by Traditions and I am not sure about the barrel quality.

But of course its not a 50 cal in a league with the M-2 round.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Does the M2HB count? :smile:

probably not since it is not technically a "rifle" so to your original question, I must answer - no.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I have a 50 cal Hawkin muzzle loader on my wall. Never have fired it since its made by Traditions and I am not sure about the barrel quality.

But of course its not a 50 cal in a league with the M-2 round.
What would make you think the barrel quality is queationable?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
What would make you think the barrel quality is queationable?

I was told by some of the experts over at Gun Broker some time ago that the traditions barrels are soft and you must be carefull to not overcharge them.

Don't really have a clue if that is true or not. but I will be carefull and stick to the recommended load when I fire it, at some time in the future.

D

·
0 Posts
Sig, It suprises me ,but I think you have been hoodwinked. Traditions is a very well respected name in muzzleloaders. The shop where I frequent has sold dozens, with no returns or complaints.
You should know better than to believe gun quality rumors without running by the forum.

·
Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sig, It suprises me ,but I think you have been hoodwinked. Traditions is a very well respected name in muzzleloaders. The shop where I frequent has sold dozens, with no returns or complaints.
You should know better than to believe gun quality rumors without running by the forum.
I would have to agree. Traditions is a good brand and should digest 150 grain with no problems. for the muzzleloader I use a Traditional Tompson Center for my hunting. Being a older one I know it will digest more then the new model loaders.

H

·
0 Posts
I have a custom made bolt action 50 BMG rifle with a five shot magazine. I reload for it but I haven't shot it in a couple of years. Is there something specific you would like to know? I have a lot of experience reloading pistol, rifle and shotgun, if 50 years counts. I was unfamiliar with your grizzly until you posted and all I can say is that for me I would be a little reluctant setting off 242 grains of powder in a bull pup rifle. I will post some pictures of my gun tomorrow when I can get gun and camera in the same place.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I'm guessing the OP meant a .50 BMG rifle. I've shot my fair share. In fact the last FA I shot was a Browning M2 at night with a belt loaded with tracers. Very cool to see the bullets bounce off the ground and go straight up in the air. The very first .50 BMG I shot was a bolt action single shot upper on an AR15 lower. Anyways, I was scared at first to shoot it because the people who I was with had shot it before and wanted me to shoot it first. The sheer size of the .50 BMG cartridge was scary enough by itself. I remember laying on my belly and closing my eyes as I shot it and the odd thing was I have no memory of recoil on the first shot. All I remember was being deafened by the sound and being engulfed in dust from the muzzle blast blowing the dirt everywhere. Second shot I remembered the recoil. It was actually a dream to shoot in the recoil department. Wasn't an annoying quick jerk, but rather a slow push. The muzzle report gave me a headache though.

·
Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a picture of my father holding the LAR Big Bore. I have heard pro's and con's about alot of 50 BMG rifles out there but from people that I have talk to who have fired the LAR seems to enjoy it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,623 Posts
I own a Mauser, single shot, bolt action rifle chambered in .50 BMG.

Yup, a Mauser!

During WWI the Germans developed, and fielded, an oversized Mauser rifle chambered in, I believe, 12.2mm as an anti-tank weapon. Iver Johnson somehow acquired many of these rifles. He rebarreled/rechambered them in .50 BMG.

I own one. The muzzle brake included on the barrel is the one that Ron Barrett copied/modified for his rifles. It works well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you look on my pics i actually own two a m82 and a m95 they are a dream to shoot.Although ppl usually tend to back away when i bring em out . hrmm wonder why.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts