National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Charter Arms, I mean.

I've been thinking about getting one for some time. So, has anyone tried one lately?

Thanks, TP

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't own a recent Bulldog, but I do own 7 Charter Arms/Stratford, Conn revolvers, including a Bulldog .44SPL, 3". I have also had the opportunity to handle and work a few of the current offerings from Charter 2000. Four years ago, or so, I would have advised staying away from the current crop of Charter Arms 2000 guns - the fit and finish was spotty and the actions were gritty and extremely hard - out of the box. Within the past year and a half, the NEW Charters, seem to have gotten their stride and the fit and finish are now much improved - the action, especially the trigger pull, is a bit crude - but from what I've seen, felt and heard, they are "functional" and a good value for the price. (I work for a FFL/Dealer at weekend gunshows, so I get to see LOTS of gun shows and being a "vendor" have the opportunity to inspect many more firearms than the average gun show attendee.) As for me, I will stick with my "old school" Charter Arms bulldogs - fit and finish very good+, trigger pull - excellent - overall action - very good++ - value for price - Excellent plus. Take a look at one of the STRATFORD CONN pieces that show up all the time on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I have "been into" more than a few Charter .44 Special revolvers. I agree with 32 Magnum. The pre 1986 Charter revolvers are well designed and well made revolvers. Since then they have been "iffy".

That being said, I have not worked on any of the latest incarnation of Charter Arms revolvers. They may be fine. They may continue the more recent trend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one in the '70's. I sold it when I needed some quick cash. Now I wish I still had it
It was a very good little gun.

So now, when I'm having trouble with a certain little PPK/S, I am once again thinking
about getting a revolver. I just thought I'd ask if anyone had anything to say, good or
bad, about the new incarnation of Charter Arms.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts