National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
You need to check your state and local laws. In many places, it is illegal to hunt with a handgun.

Reactions: Popeye

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can hunt pretty much everything besides a turkey as long as I use hollow point ammunition and not rimfire.
(TN)

I've just only seen one video on YouTube of a person killing a deer with a Glock 9mm, so I was hoping there were more success stories on here.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Get the regional favorite rifle because there’s a reason why it’s a regional favorite. Pennsylvania has the 30-30 or .35. Further north in New England it’s the 30.06 or 270. In the West it’s long range shooting 308, 300 Win Mag, 348 LaPua and down south it’s 30.06 smaller 243 or 25.06. There’s so many caliber options and different actions.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get the regional favorite rifle because there’s a reason why it’s a regional favorite. Pennsylvania has the 30-30 or .35. Further north in New England it’s the 30.06 or 270. In the West it’s long range shooting 308, 300 Win Mag, 348 LaPua and down south it’s 30.06 smaller 243 or 25.06. There’s so many caliber options and different actions.
I'm looking online for some used thirty off sixes right now. New would be ideal, but I have to buy my lady a self-defense pistol too.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
You need to get with local hunters and talk at length about all aspects of hunting especially safety. My biggest fears in the hunting woods is other hunters. Don't take it personally but people like you especially scare me. I've personally known people hunting for years since they were young that shot at branches thinking it was a deer. I'm talking to a guy at work in a 12 member club but the dues are around $800. It's more than I like to pay but part of what I am paying for is to restrict the number of people out where I can get shot at.

Back on topic... If you have any interest in hunting small game as well as big game get a 12GA shotgun the most versatile gun around.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to get with local hunters and talk at length about all aspects of hunting especially safety. My biggest fears in the hunting woods is other hunters. Don't take it personally but people like you especially scare me. I've personally known people hunting for years since they were young that shot at branches thinking it was a deer. I'm talking to a guy at work in a 12 member club but the dues are around $800. It's more than I like to pay but part of what I am paying for is to restrict the number of people out where I can get shot at.

Back on topic... If you have any interest in hunting small game as well as big game get a 12GA shotgun the most versatile gun around.
I'm not offended. At all. Guns have to be taken seriously. An idiot with a gun is scary. However, in exercising my right on an open forum to defend myself...

No one is born knowing the specifics of the right gun for the right animal. I have never hunted, and I freely admit I have a lot to learn. But, that doesn't mean I don't know to never shoot at anything that's not 100% confirmed, never shoot at anything without a safe background behind it, keep the gun always pointed in a direction you wouldn't mind a bullet traveling, and finger off the trigger til you're ready to shoot.

I'm a novice hunter. Not a veteran idiot haha.

And I will of course get my hunter's safety license before going after a deer.

Oh, forgot to ask.

A 12GA wouldn't obliterate small game?

· Registered
319 Posts
A 12GA wouldn't obliterate small game?
That depends. They do make turkey guns which are 12 gauges with really tight chokes. The purpose of having the tight choke is to hit the turkey in the head without much, if any of your shot hitting it on the body. That way you can take out the head without destroying the body.

Of course if you make a body shot on a turkey with such a weapon you will obliterate it but that's not the proper way to hunt turkey. You want to make head shots.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That depends. They do make turkey guns which are 12 gauges with really tight chokes. The purpose of having the tight choke is to hit the turkey in the head without much, if any of your shot hitting it on the body. That way you can take out the head without destroying the body.

Of course if you make a body shot on a turkey with such a weapon you will obliterate it but that's not the proper way to hunt turkey. You want to make head shots.
hmm

I could hunt deer with a 12GA slug as well if I'm not mistaken.

I'll have to look into this. I didn't consider a shotgun.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Shot and choke selection are key and to a lesser extent shell type and barrel selection. I've hunted dove and squirrels with little meat damage using 6, 7-1/2, 8 shot. You can go up to deer with buckshot, normally 00 or slugs. You can practice or just enjoy shooting various clay sports. A 12GA also makes an excellent home defense weapon also. Like I said the shotgun is the king of versatility.

· Registered
319 Posts
Shot and choke selection are key and to a lesser extent shell type and barrel selection. I've hunted dove and squirrels with little meat damage using 6, 7-1/2, 8 shot. You can go up to deer with buckshot, normally 00 or slugs. You can practice or just enjoy shooting various clay sports. A 12GA also makes an excellent home defense weapon also. Like I said the shotgun is the king of versatility.
I've hunted and killed squirrel using a Daisy Powerline BB gun.

The 12GA is a very good all around weapon although the main drawback is that you can't use it as an EDC.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.