National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone shoot or own one of these cool Ruger Convertible revolvers. The one I'm looking at shoots either 357mag or 9mm Luger. Easy change cylinder requires no tools. I think it's pretty sweet you can have the stoping power of 357 magnum, and shoot the much cheaper 9mm (or even .38 special?) in the same gun. Plus revolvers are just that cool. If anyone has or has used this gun, please, give me some feedback! :D

G

·
I have owned both the .357/9mm and .45ACP/.45 Colt convertables. I thought they were good guns, but seldom used the extra cylinder. The 9mm cylinder was by far the least accurate. If you think about it, a 9mm is .355, while the .357 is, of course, .357, so the 9mm bullets never really fills the lands and grooves as it is bouncing down the barrel. The .45 ACP cylinder, on the other hand, shot really good, just a tad lower than the .45 Colt. I have since sold both guns, as my interests have changed somewhat. I still got a couple single actions, but at one time that was about all I had.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense that the 9mm isn't quite as accurate in the .357 bore. I'm looking into a revolver, as I think they are fun guns to shoot. Any suggestions?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I just have the Ruger Single Six in SS 5.5" barrel. Has the LR and Magnum cylinder. Fine shooting little 22.

I have never had the bigger calibers but think they would be a lot of fun.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at a 6.5" single six in .357 today at the sportsmans warehouse. I think I may try to find one of those at a local shop or a gun show. I liked that gun. :D

G

·
I have the Single Six in .22/.22 Mag. That is a lot of fun. I can imagine what the .357/9mm or .45ACP/.45LC would be like. Now you got me to wanting to start shopping for one.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have a Bearcat with .22 LR and .22 Mag cylinders. IMO, .22 Mag ammo is too expensive and actually (for me, anyway) pretty useless.

My former shooting buddy and I developed many loads for his .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger. That was a lot of fun and we didn't notice any problems with either of the cylinders.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.22 just seems useless in a pistol to me. I guess for plinking, but it's just not as fun (though plenty cheeeep ;)

Maybe I'll look into that .45 converitble.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I own a Ruger Single Six Convertable and two Blackhawk Convertable revolvers in .45 Colt/.45ACP. They all shoot well with either cylinder.

If you notice a dropoff in accuracy when using the 9mm cylinder, use non-jacketed lead projectiles. The base of the lead projectile will expand to fill the lands and grooves.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I don't shoot a lot of .22 RF, but I still think it's fun to do. I have a pretty old (58 yrs) S&W Mod 18 that feels just like my centerfire K-Frames and lets me practice a little cheeper than them.

Popeye -- Was the .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger only made as a Blackhawk? Not a Vaquero? I can't recall.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
No, I didn't know that. The one I have is the 50th Anniversary model. Still in plastic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Many years ago I had an old model Blackhawk .45 convertible with a 7.5 inch barrel. It shot .45 ACPs very accurately but not the .45 Long Colts. I slugged the barrel and found that it measured .451" and of course my LC bullets were .454". I ran the LC bullets through a .452" sizing die and my accuracy improved to match that of the ACP rounds.

Unfortunately I sold that revolver many years ago and have since picked up a New Model .45 Blackhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel. It's bore measures .452 and it shoots very accurately with properly sized bullets.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do.
I have a pre 1973 Single Six, which I traded an old Taurus M66 for.
However, only the .22mag cylinder was included in the trade.
Someday, I intend to send it back to Ruger and have a .22LR cylinder fitted.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have the Single-Six in .22/.22mag since 1977 and it's a good little gun for tree rats and the like. The .22LR's shoot just a tad lower at 25yds. :thumbsup:

G

·
Denfoote: I got a 22LR cylinder for a friend's Single Six from the internet and it fit right on. I don't think they have to be fitted most of the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts