National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience w/ H & R rifle in .308 or of a cal. similar to this with its down range accuracy and consistency. I have a H & R in .243 and want a .308 and though about getting a barrel for my H & R rather than buy a remington 700 or a savage rifle to save a little money. thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never had one in .308, but I had one once with .223, 30/30, and a 12 ga barrel. It was very accurate with the .223 and 30/30. At the time it was the only 30/30 I owned, so I would use pointed bullets in it, and I could shoot 2 inch groups with open sights at 100 yards, which is dang good for me! The .223 would shoot sub inch groups with scope.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have an older H&R in .22 Hornet and one in .45-70 - both are very accurate and will digest any ammo that I can find for them. IMHO they are very good value for the money which equals a high quality quotient for the user.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. That helps me with my decision, I think I am going to get a barrel for mine in 308 and 12 gauge rifled for deer hunting, to go with my 243.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do realize that you can't just buy a barrel and stick it on there, it has to be sent to H&R and fitted for the other barrels.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
fitting H&R Barrels

livebytheguns' response is the safe way to handle the situation. The other consideration is: according to manufacturer, the rifle frames will accept both rifle and shogun barrels, while the shotgun frames will only accept shotgun barrels.
All that being said, I have an NEF SB-1 receiver/frame which I purchased as a .410 bore. Subsequently, I purchased 12, 16, 20 and 28 ga. shotgun barrels - all marked with the SB-1 markings - and all fit and function on that frame - none needed adjustment to the hinge set-up and head space on all was excellent - no gaps between barrel and standing breach. I'm guessing that I got lucky - but I wouldn't suggest going against the manufacturer's requirement of fitting shotgun barrels to the rifle frames and not trying to use rifle barrels with shotgun frames.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Save some aggrivation and buy a Thompson Center Encore, many more barrel options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warning about not just slapping another barrel on there, but I am well aware for the fact that it needs to be sent back to be fitted. As far as the TC goes, I like the haritage of the h & r guns and the background that H & R has, they have been around for a long time.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
hahaha, no experiance but i was about an inch away from buying one a while back....even made a thread askin about em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts