National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m downsizing and have a 15 or so firearms (long guns and handguns) I don’t shoot anymore and that my grown children don't want. (They each already have the ones from my collection they wanted)

I’ve had some luck consigning guns at my favorite LGS... but some languish and don’t sell for several months. The fee to consign is 10% of selling price

A local auction house has a good reputation for selling firearms and I may give it a try. I’m unsure how it works... I need to call them to find answers to the questions I have... e.g., do they have reserves (or do I take the risk of a very low bid winning?) what are the fees etc.

Anybody else use an an auction house before for firearm sales?

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I've never sold a gun (actually I did sort sell two. One I traded for a bicycle for #2 son [Raven 25 ACP] and one I traded for another gun [Sporterized Jap for a Win 94]), but from other consignment deals I am aware of (not guns), 10% sounds like a pretty good deal.

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and Wag

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,410 Posts
You’ve been here a while, you could just go into the marketplace on this sight and list what you have and what you want. Sell outright what you can and auction off the rest.

Here in IL I can just check a FOID. If you are shipping something out of state or have questions about a buyer, have the buyer send you their FFL, check it on the sight below to make sure it’s valid and only ship it to the FFL’s address on the FFL certificate. They can do the background checks so you don’t have to.

I ship with FedEx. I can ship a pistol to the next state for like $13 before insurance. Don’t know about long guns.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Have you tried any consignment guns lately? In today's market just about every type of gun is selling at a decent rate. Anything that can be used as carry or home defense, hunting and sporting guns just don't sit around. Beat up older .22's and guns with odd calibers, odd makers etc don;t sell as fast but even they seem to be moving at a decent pace compared just a couple of years ago. Like Alan said, 10% is not a bad rate and you'll probably pay more at the auction house but i would still check to be sure. If you sell at online auctions you need to do a bunch of pictures, monitor your emails frequently and answer questions and then pack and ship if sold. It can be quite a bit of work and then if the buyer isn't happy for some reason that could create a bunch of problems and hassles as well. If you plan on selling them online(Auction or like Phil said right here) make sure you have long gun boxes and packing beforehand, they can be a pain to find when you need them. Pistols are easy because of the size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have sold some guns at a local auction company. The fees are fairly high 20 to 22%. They run their auction locally to a live audience and nationally on the internet with several auction vendors so you get quite a large audience. The prices we got for the guns I felt was quite good. Nothing insanely expensive but fair prices, a little more that what was paid for the guns initially. For auctions outside our area I use Proxibid.com you can go there and see what they have to offer in the line of firearms and see what the owners are getting for there arms. Proxibid is one of several of these online auction sights, it will give you a good idea of how they work. Good luck with however you choose to let them go.

Mike

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have sold some guns at a local auction company. The fees are fairly high 20 to 22%. They run their auction locally to a live audience and nationally on the internet with several auction vendors so you get quite a large audience. The prices we got for the guns I felt was quite good. Nothing insanely expensive but fair prices, a little more that what was paid for the guns initially. For auctions outside our area I use Proxibid.com you can go there and see what they have to offer in the line of firearms and see what the owners are getting for there arms. Proxibid is one of several of these online auction sights, it will give you a good idea of how they work. Good luck with however you choose to let them go.

Mike
Yes... I read up on how our local auction company works and it is as you describe above.

I just have to call them and find out the commission percent and any other fees. They are connected with the larger online sites as well. They do all the work (pictures, descriptions, transfers, shipping, etc)

I expect it will be 20%

So... 10% at my LGS and waiting sometimes months for a gun to sell ... Or 20% at the auction house

I've also sold several guns directly via gun forums, and have used shipmygun.com to ship to the buyer's FFL

I've also sold many locally (face-to-face) using Armslist

Both of those last two methods take more time than I currently have to post pictures, describe the gun, and ship it (or meet face to face)

I'm either going to stick with the LGS method or just bite the bullet and take them all to the auction house (once I call and determine commission amount)

I'm selling some Colt, Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat 1911's.... So the relatively high price (compared to plastic guns that fill the shelves) sometimes is not a good fit for the LGS "walk-in" crowd.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I’ll ask about the gorilla in the thread. What ya got?
Ha ha...sorry about that... I wasn't trying to bait anyone into asking... I just wanted to know how those full service auction houses work.

Here's the initial list of what I'll be getting rid of, so far (in one way or another) I'll share some pictures in a few days (I'm traveling for a few days)

If I decide to use the trading post/marketplace here on NGF, I'll post some descriptions and pix there

Five 1911s

-1954 Colt Lightweight commander .45

- 1980 Colt custom Series 70 government model 9mm 1911 in hard chrome

- Dan Wesson ECP 1911 .45

- Dan Wesson CCO 1911 .45

- Wilson Combat EDC X9

Other handguns

Ruger LCRx snubby in .357
Sig P365X Romeo Zero 9mm
Great Western Arms SA .22lr circa 1955
Beretta M100 .32acp circa 1971

Rifles
Savage Mark II BV .22lr bolt action
KelTec RDB17 5.56 bullpup
Remington fieldmaster 572 BDL .22s/l/lr pump action

Shotguns
Winchester Model 1400 MKII 12 gauge semi-auto

·
Aim true !
12,421 Posts
The Remington fieldmaster 572 BDL brings back memories. My dad and i racoon hunted back in 70's-80's, He shot many racoons with it. He used to say this gun will be shot out soon. He's still using it for pest control today.

Reactions: IowaShooter

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just called them (talked to owner) and discussed how it all works

18% commission

No other fees ... They handle all pictures, descriptions, shipping and transfers (they are an FFL)

They are connected with larger online sites and use proxibid

I'll be taking the guns there on Wed. at noon. They just started cataloging for their upcoming Nov 7 online firearm auction

Going to give it a try and see if I will be unhappy or happy with outcome

$1800 to sell $10,000 worth of guns or so ... Hard pill to swallow but I don't need those guns collecting dust here at home

Most were fun while I had them and it's time for someone else to enjoy them

·
Registered
359 Posts
That sounds like a lot of commission but that's just another opinion. I've sold a lot on GB with minimums and "buy nows" and have had very good luck. I will wait it out if I have to in order to get my price but I never have failed to sell at my price. I'm like all other real gun owners, I just can't give one away at less than market value. I sell at what I research as market value, and, if necessary have a "real" local gunsmith appraise them.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
I’m disappointed. You know I’ve been like a son to you. Don’t you ever think of my happiness? You’re only an 11 hour drive from here and I could visit family in Bettendorf while I’m there. Just turn most of them over to me and I’ll make sure they don’t ever get dusty ever again.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like a lot of commission but that's just another opinion. I've sold a lot on GB with minimums and "buy nows" and have had very good luck. I will wait it out if I have to in order to get my price but I never have failed to sell at my price. I'm like all other real gun owners, I just can't give one away at less than market value. I sell at what I research as market value, and, if necessary have a "real" local gunsmith appraise them.
I thought long and hard about GB, but being an unrated new seller, not being a FFL, not being able to take credit cards and only taking money orders, etc. makes many potential buyers shy away.

I'm a frequent buyer on GB, but only from FFLs who take credit cards so I'm always protected from any non-performance by a seller.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m disappointed. You know I’ve been like a son to you. Don’t you ever think of my happiness? You’re only an 11 hour drive from here and I could visit family in Bettendorf while I’m there. Just turn most of them over to me and I’ll make sure they don’t ever get dusty ever again.
We lived in Bettendorf not far from the High School for 12 years 1982-1994.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hope it turns out well for you, it did for my wife and I. Good Luck. let us know the date and the name of the auction company. I may end up with one of your old ones.

Mike
I got a tour of the place at noon when I dropped off my guns today. I met the owners and the gunsmith that writes all the descriptions of the items. They also take and publish (online) many pictures of items they are auctioning.

They are preparing for the Live Online Firearms Auction on Nov 7

Pre-bidding (online) plus phone bids and absentee bids accepted 10 days in advance... and then the auction is live (but online)

I hope it turns out well :) I brought about $10,000 in guns there

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just called them (talked to owner) and discussed how it all works

18% commission

No other fees ... They handle all pictures, descriptions, shipping and transfers (they are an FFL)

They are connected with larger online sites and use proxibid

I'll be taking the guns there on Wed. at noon. They just started cataloging for their upcoming Nov 7 online firearm auction

Going to give it a try and see if I will be unhappy or happy with outcome

$1800 to sell $10,000 worth of guns or so ... Hard pill to swallow but I don't need those guns collecting dust here at home

Most were fun while I had them and it's time for someone else to enjoy them
How did you arrive at the total value of $10,000.00 bucks? Auctions can be, and especially at this time, quite surprising as to what some will pay and prices can go for much more than their purchased prices paid previously, cost then.
The list of firearms you presented are all somewhat desired guns and should do very well when held at auction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts