National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather wierd indian friend that is totally into all of his beliefs.... He has peace pipes and such which are actually really cool.

He taught me how to actually take basically a stick of metal and turn it into a pretty knife with deerskin as the handle. Looks really cool.

Steps to making it.

Forging & beating it with a hammer
grinding
Smoothing
Sharpening

Made one PRETTY KNIFE!

Im calling it the Travis COMBO!

G

·
Travis said:
I have a rather wierd indian friend that is totally into all of his beliefs.... He has peace pipes and such which are actually really cool.

He taught me how to actually take basically a stick of metal and turn it into a pretty knife with deerskin as the handle. Looks really cool.

Steps to making it.

grinding
Smoothing
Sharpening

Made one PRETTY KNIFE!

That is awesome man. I just have a walmart special buck knife! :D

·
Banned
818 Posts
Not really a knife, but I once made a throwing star out of sheet metal. I must of hardened it too much afterwards because when I threw it at a tree, it broke. :cry:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I haven't done it myself -- wish I could say that I have -- but I had one friend who made beautiful knives out of old files and then made the handles from any of several materials (wood, horn, antler, stone, etc.). Another guy I knew yrs ago used old automotive leaf springs to make the blades. I have one of his knives and will try to get a photo of it, later.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Travis said:

Steps to making it.

grinding
Smoothing
Sharpening

Made one PRETTY KNIFE!

Lets get a picture of that up on the forum, Travis! I have a custom I will get the wife to photograph and share also.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This thread is worthless without pics of she9!!!!!!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
That knife has a wicked curve, good for gutting your adversary! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Nice Shoes, Big T! Oh, and the knife is definitely BadAss, too!

G

·
No, I don't have a lot of talent along those lines. Buy I do want to share two unique knives I picked up last week. Guy that makes them is a Master Blacksmith, fast becoming a lost art. He lives about 30 miles from me and has his shop adjacent to his house out in the country.
As you can tell his stock is railroad spikes. His high end models have handles that go from rather plain to ornate. One model has handles made of wood which is virtually petrified, says it comes from Mexico and costs big $$. He charges accordingly.

Hummmnnn? Maybe a new business venture for me?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts