National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carried a S&W Model 10 for about 15 years before the mandated transition to the 9mm S&W Semi Auto which I had for about 10 years. I really miss the revolver but if I had to choose a duty weapon again I'd stick with the Semi auto only because the higher ammo capacity affords a much greater tactical advantage. For concealed carry my ambivalence continues as I carry a mix of both.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I carried a S&W Mod 15 when I was in the USAF and a Mod 19 as a police officer. As a Probation/Parole Officer it was a little Mod. 12 Airweight when doing bar checks and effecting arrests.

I still feel more comfortable and natural with a wheelgun and, truth be known, I shoot better with one, too. But I've tried to come into the 21st Century and now carry one of three or four autos most of the time. Still tote the Mod 12 once in a while, though.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NYPD would probably still be issuing revolvers only but stats started to indicate that officers were getting killed and injured while reloading revolvers during gun fights against adversaries with high cap guns.
Up until recently they were offering the choice of the Glock, S&W 5946 (15+1 all double action) and another similar 9mm which I think was a Sig. They also offered those who were trained with model 10's an option to continue carrying them, but that revolver option did not extend to new hires since (I'm guessing a little here) the late 90's. The Glock by far was the most common choice followed by the Smith 5946, and then a few grandfathered wheelguns, but I can't remeber seeing the third semi option which again I think was the Sig. Smith doesn't have the best rep as a semi auto for police work, but as far as I'm concerned the 5946 was fabulous in all aspects except that it was a little on the heavy side but that helped make it a even more controlable. I don't like the original S&W Sigma Series. I found them very disappointing, but Maybe they've gotten better.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I am old school too and I like my wheel guns. I carry one of my M-36's often. I also have several auto's that I carry so I to have stepped over into the 21 Century. I agree the S&W Sigma was a big let down but the M&P is a fine pistol. I am now shooting a lot with a Glock 19 and it's ready to be carried now. Here's my new carry rig from the Holster Store. :D

:i: Thanks Travis :i:

G

·
I joined my dept. (2000) after they transitioned to semi-autos. We currently carry Glock 22's. They used to carry S&W 66 .357's. I love revolvers as over half of my personal handguns are wheelguns. I plan on carrying a snubnose as a secondary gun since my dept. just recently adopted a back-up gun policy. There's just something about the total dependabilty of a revolver. That being said, I'd prefer to keep my semi-auto for my service weapon. Glocks dependability has approached that of a revolver.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I have always carried a 1911...started out with Colt MKIV Series 70, then to Delta Elite 10MM and finished with a Para Ord. P14. I always liked the 1911 best for a combat handgun and the 13+1 capacity of .45 in the P14 made it an ideal duty gun.

I love revolvers and would have carried one had it not 'been the rage' to have a semi-auto when I started. Most of those guys had gotten into the S&W 5906 9mm and Beretta 92 9mm when I was getting started, it was a couple of years before Glocks became a mainstay in L.E., but I always liked the .45 round best, and in 1911 of course. All of us 'tough guys' on the dept carried 1911's...and a couple had .44Mag revolvers...everyone else was a weak girl in our book.

G

·
Heck no, I don't "miss" the revolver....I always have one or several handy. :lol:

Around my home there are, at last count, 7 K-Frame Smiths in either .357 or ,38 Spl. Each one is "up high", loaded with a speedloader filled with 158gr lswchp +P's next to it. My feeling is that a close wheelgun is better than ANY of my autos locked in the safe.

Granted my carry gun, and last duty gun was/is a Glock 30. I always have a K Frame Smith close by. My IWB carry gun when I am wearing sweats or drawstring shorts is a Taurus Model 85UL .38 Spl. It doesn't drag your britches down when you are carrying it.

Nope...I don't miss the revolver.

G

·
Actually I did miss my Model 19 when we transitioned to the 9mm Sig P226. I never had the faith in the 9 that I did in the .357. Right before I retired we transitoned to the .357 Sig and it seemed to be much better. But even now my first level carry and the one I keep in the nightstand is my 2" Mod 19. Never have had a jam or worried about one with it. Otherwise I carry a variety of .45's.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in the Luxembourgish police school right now and our duty handguns are still revolvers. It used to be the S&W model 686. This year's recruits (including me) received the new S&W 620. That will be the service weapon for all the future police officers, but everybody else keeps their 686s. Plain-clothed officers can choose between their standard revolver or a 2" (or 2.5", not sure) S&W model 66.

I'd actually prefer to carry a pistol, but I won't feel underarmed with a revolver.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Nice that so many cop shops dropped the wheelguns; I've snapped them up for peanuts, as well as the old cop leather (holsters, speedloaders, cases, ticket books, etc.). Lots of character-wear, but solid as a swiss watch inside. Hard to believe an old cop Model 10 can group like mine does. $185 out the door (four years ago), Hogue and holster included. Love it.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Hell no I don't miss em! They're alive and well. And, even if the fall completly by the wayside as far as police/military, a high power revolver will never be topped by an auto loader for handgun hunting. As long as Smith&Wesson is alive, so to will be the revolver.

G

·
My dad is a retired police officer of 24yrs with the City Of Houston. He was one of the last ones to keep his wheel gun. He had a Colt .45 Python with the barrell cut down to around 6inches. He hated carrying semis. I feel the same way. I currently own two wheels and one semi.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
My dad is a retired police officer of 24yrs with the City Of Houston. He was one of the last ones to keep his wheel gun. He had a Colt .45 Python with the barrell cut down to around 6inches. He hated carrying semis. I feel the same way. I currently own two wheels and one semi.
Hey TH I think you made a little mistake on the Python as they were made in .38spl/.357mag only on the I-frame. Maybe he had a Anaconda .45cal made on the AA-frame. A lot of police down here carried the .357 Trooper MK III. Check it with him. Good luck.:biggrin5:

G

·
Baldy

Your right. My bad. He said it was the Anaconda. Still wish he had the sucker too. Heavy weapon and darn good accuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts