National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys wants a 75 gr coyote load for .223 Rem and the only bullets I could find are the Hornady A-Max {number 22792 (regular) or 22794 (moly)}. I know, that's more of a target bullet than a hunting bullet -- customer doesn't care. I don't know what happened to the 75 gr HPBT Hornady used to produce; I loaded thousands of them in .223 with no issues, but the "A-Max" is sure not the same projectile.

The problem is that the ogive is so far back that if I seat the projectile properly to limit C.O.L. to 2.26", the case neck is forward of the ogive. In other words, the actual bullet diameter with it seated to achieve proper length puts the case mouth where the bullet is far smaller than 0.224". I wish I could show a photo of what I'm talking about, but my camera is just not good enough (OK, maybe the camera is -- I'm not!).

I guess my questions are (1) has anyone run into this before and how did you handle it?; and (2) what bullet in the 75 gr range would serve better for this application?

Allowing greater C.O.L. is not possible because he's using it in an AR and if it's longer it won't clear the magazine.

G

·
Don't have a clue Rick. I don't reload but really want to start.
I see that NRA offers a course for reloading. Do you think that's a god starting place? Damn ammo prices are going thru the roof. :shock:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The NRA course is a great place to start. I haven't been through the actual course but I've seen their material and it looks to be first rate. Even with component prices having risen through the roof, it's still cheaper to reload.

I think I'll put up a thread to talk about just that...

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The thing to remember with most anything over 69 Grains in .224 dia. is you'll need a 1 in 8" or 1 in 7" twist to stabilize it. Most AR-15's have a 1 in 9" twist, and some commercial bolt guns are 1 in 12" twist. A 75 Gr. bullet in .224 would most certainly keyhole in that type of barrel. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we're aware of that, thanks. The guy I'm loading for has a 1:8, 24" bbl on a custom AR. He actually has the position I had about 35 yrs ago as lead on the USAF rifle team, so he has pretty good knowledge and understanding. My issue is simply fitting that 75 gr A-Max bullet to a .223 case. It's no problem for a .223 Rem bolt action or a .22-250, but in order to fit into the AR's magazine, I can't go over 2.265" OAL.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK -- to answer my own question: It can't be done! Seems that Hornady stuck a little blurb in their latest manual (like I buy new loading manuals every day!) which states exactly what I did in my original question, i.e., the ogive is set back too far to achieve the COAL required to clear an AR-type magazine. The guy at Sportsmen's Warehouse told me about it and said that another customer had told him of the Hornady statement.

SO...for you guys who want heavy, long-range .223/5.56mm loads to be fired in an AR-type rifle, don't waste your time with Hornady 75 grain A-Max projectiles.

That said, I think I'll try some for hot & heavy long-range rounds for my .22-250 Ackley Improved. She'll digest just about anything I feed her.

G

·
Hi have been loading these for a while. I use a savage 110 police tactical rifle. You will need to get a new seating stem either from hornady to use with their die set or send off 3 bullets to RCBS to have them make the profile you need. I use Varget at around 22.5 gn make for MOA groups on a consistent basis. I perceive better results with Winchester primers but have been content with Remington's 7 1/2 bench rest. Speed are just under 3000 fps. BLC(2) works a close second best in warm afternoons. These are longer rounds 2.290 so I can only load 3 in the magazine. You mileage may vary - Steve

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum, Steve. The 75 gr A-Max projectile loads just fine for a bolt gun, but like I said, can't be loaded so that it will fit in an AR magazine. That was my issue. My shooter wanted to use them in his custom AR15. There used to be a couple of other 75-grain pills that would work, but I can no longer find them. I just went ahead and loaded 69 gr for him. Will continue to look for other, heavier, projectiles.

G

·
You are right about the 75 gr a-max have an ogive that is to long but Hornady still does make a 75 gr BTHP but thats not gonna expand at all in a coyote or any other animal. I have reloaded the 69 gr Matchking in my AR-15 with a 1:9 in twist that shot farily well. Beger also makes a VLD 75 gr bullet but I have no information about these. The best in my opinion would be the 77 gr Matchking from Sierra. its the best out there. Hope i'm not to late to help you

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, welcome to the forum Mr. Oberg -- great that you jumped in to this discussion. Sounds like you have experience with the components. You're not too late and you have some very good info on those rounds, but the two issues which persist are (1) the COL which can't be altered so that an AR magazine will accommodate the cartridges; and (2) The simple fact that there are really no reliable and humane projectiles in the 75 gr weight that are appropriate for the game.

No biggie. I have several 69gr loads and there are a few projs that may fill the bill.

Thanks for chiming in, guys.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
gunrnr said:
OK -- to answer my own question: It can't be done! Seems that Hornady stuck a little blurb in their latest manual (like I buy new loading manuals every day!) which states exactly what I did in my original question, i.e., the ogive is set back too far to achieve the COAL required to clear an AR-type magazine. The guy at Sportsmen's Warehouse told me about it and said that another customer had told him of the Hornady statement.

SO...for you guys who want heavy, long-range .223/5.56mm loads to be fired in an AR-type rifle, don't waste your time with Hornady 75 grain A-Max projectiles.

That said, I think I'll try some for hot & heavy long-range rounds for my .22-250 Ackley Improved. She'll digest just about anything I feed her.

Just to be contrary. There is a guy (yeah, don't you love that statement?) who uses 75 grainers in High Power compitition I shoot with. He seats the bullet just deep enought to clear the mag. No concern about the bullet taper. he does pretty good with them. Me? I'll stick with my 69 grainers from Sierra for that stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I tried that. Even with the bullet tip dragging the magazine, the neck came up to the ogive and would not properly seat. I thought I might be able to fudge and tighten the Lee Factory Crimp just a hair to compensate, but that didn't work and the bullets could be pushed back with just finger pressure. If there's another secret, I'd sure like to know! But meanwhile, I'll have to agree that Sierra 69 gr will have to suffice. Only problem with that is that Sierra 69ers are less than optimum for coyotes. In fact, Sierra even discourages their use for that purpose.

·
Registered
648 Posts
One crazy thing I have heard of people doing is to trim a little extra off of the case neck.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree...that's crazy. Fact is I've had very good results with both 69 Gr and 70 Gr projectiles. I'm not going to worry about the 5 or 6 gr difference.

My feeling is that if you need that much hit at such long distances and want to stay with a .22 cal cartridge, you need to step up to either .22-250, .223 WSSM, or .220 Swift. I use the .22-250 Ackley Imp. and the WSSM to great effect at very long distances (500+ yds). Again, if you need more than that, you need more gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts