National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on this forum reload or work on their own firearms anymore?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I do, but I haven't heard much from others who do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I load for several of the Gov't trappers and independents. I also build rifles for myself but I won't do it for anybody else. Too much liability and you never know what some moron will stick in a gun. Like a 38-55 a trapper, of all people, complained about that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn after I worked on it. This was a nice 1885 Winchester complete with tang sights and double set trigger. I had him bring the gun and ammo to a local range and he was already set up when I got there. He shot the first shot and it didn't make it to the 100 yd target. I looked at the brass and asked if this was the ammo he had been shooting. He said yes. I told him don't ever call me again. He was shooting 30-30 ammo in it. I still have the brass. You just never know about folks. But I do wish this part of the forum was more active.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Me too, fellas. I reload for several calibers, and work on my guns, when I need to. No files or dremels though. A couple years ago, I got a decent deal on a levergun, it was locking up with the bolt open, and I found a little spring loaded plunger on the lifter was defective (the gun didnt have enough use to be worn), a call to brownells and 35 bucks fixed it. I have swapped out sights, too. That kind of home 'smithing....if you can call it that. I am in the process of building an AR, I am just spending a couple hundred bucks a month on it buying parts..currently on hold for the Christmas season spending.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,702 Posts
I am the Smith at a gun store in Sacramento, CA. I'm mostly a parts changer, scope mounter and gun cleaner.

Until 1997 I had a FFL01 and sporterized US Model 1917s.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's good to know that we don't all send our weapons to the gunsmith & buy our ammo at the store. :lol:
I think that a large ammount of owning firearms comes from working on them & loading your own ammo. Just my opinion, I guess. :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Trapper L said:
I load for several of the Gov't trappers and independents. I also build rifles for myself but I won't do it for anybody else. Too much liability and you never know what some moron will stick in a gun. Like a 38-55 a trapper, of all people, complained about that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn after I worked on it. This was a nice 1885 Winchester complete with tang sights and double set trigger. I had him bring the gun and ammo to a local range and he was already set up when I got there. He shot the first shot and it didn't make it to the 100 yd target. I looked at the brass and asked if this was the ammo he had been shooting. He said yes. I told him don't ever call me again. He was shooting 30-30 ammo in it. I still have the brass. You just never know about folks. But I do wish this part of the forum was more active.

Thats a sad story. The 38-55 is one fine cartridge, very much under rated and a great woods round. I think Marlin makes or did make a lever rifle in that cartridge recently. I was thinking about buying one for a time and decided that I had to back off the gun buying for a while.

I most likely will get back into reloading some this winter. Since taking my part time job at Lowes I have been buying more damn tools than I will ever need and playing with them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 38-55 is EXPENSIVE to load for. Brass is close to a dollar each and finding the correct bullets is next to impossible. Only Barnes makes the correct bullet and they make them in .375 and .377 so you have to know what the barrel is cut to so you get the right ones. Or, you can get lead bullets with gas checks from Beartooth but the last I ordered took 4 months to get. A 375 Winchester is basically the same cartridge but more HP and a lot cheaper to load. The 375 isn't as finicky about bullet weight like the 38-55. I load the 375 for my brother and the 220s seem to work great for his Winchesters. I'd like to find a near NIB Marlin but they are hard to come by.

So how do you like working for Lowes? I've considered it. I retired earlier this year and got in the framing business but you can't give a house away around here since the mortgage crunch. I drove the westside today and not on frame in progress and zero slab starts. Looks like it's gonna be a poor Christmas around here for a lot of folks in the building industry. Lowes pay worth having or is it something to keep you busy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts