National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been casting for quite a few years now. Started off with a210 gr 45 bullet only because my son and I shoot a lot of bowling pins. The club I belong to has many cast bullet silhoutte shoots and cast only bench rest matches so I started on other calibers.What I have ended up with are moulds that I don't use or were not the right bullet that I wanted.If anyboby is interested I have a few I would like to sell. I'll list later in the buy, sell forum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Silver bullet huh,you the Lone Ranger? I have no problem with the necessary temp, I just don't have a lot of silver laying around. I don't think I should melt down Grandmas silverware.

·
Banned
818 Posts
When I used to own my cap and ball revolver I used to cast my own .451 balls. I still have the double cavity mold.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used to cast all of my pistol bullets and some rifle as well. But for quite a few years now I've only been casting for my muzzleloaders. With the price of bullets rising, I may have to go back to casting my own pistol bullets again. Good thing I hung on to must of my molds.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Gabby said:
I used to cast all of my pistol bullets and some rifle as well. But for quite a few years now I've only been casting for my muzzleloaders. With the price of bullets rising, I may have to go back to casting my own pistol bullets again. Good thing I hung on to must of my molds.
Yeah, but good luck with getting lead at a decent price. The tire shops around here no longer give their wheel weights away like they used to. I heard they're getting serious $$$ from the scrap dealers now. Metals have gone up across the board. I got almost 2X what I used to get for my yearly "clean out the scrap brass" run to the recycler, this year.

·
Registered
263 Posts
gunrnr said:
Yeah, but good luck with getting lead at a decent price. The tire shops around here no longer give their wheel weights away like they used to. I heard they're getting serious $$$ from the scrap dealers now. Metals have gone up across the board. I got almost 2X what I used to get for my yearly "clean out the scrap brass" run to the recycler, this year.
I still have about 500 pounds of cleaned, soft lead for muzzleloaders and about the same amount of cleaned wheelweights. Also, about two months ago I ran into a guy who was asking if I knew anyone who would want some old wheel wheights. I told him the price of lead was up and he could sell them at the scrap metal dealer here in town. He said he didn't want to mess with it and he would give them away for the hauling. So I took him up on it and figure that it'll make over 600 pounds when I get it all cleaned and poured into ingots. So with about 1,100 pounds of pistol lead I guess I can stay busy for a while before I run out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts