National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to get a gun for graduation. i need a little help with picking a gun, i need one big enugh for elk, and small enugh for deer.
and sugestions

G

·
personally i like the fast .30 cals for their bullet availability.you can use a 100 grain bullet traveling ultrasonic or a 220grain bullet moving very slow.deer are easy to kill(thin skinned) as litttle penetration is required,elk on the other hand have thicker skin ,heavier muscle and denser bone mass therefore requiring much more in penetration.with all that said a .300 win. mag or if your going to practice and shoot loooong range a .300 rem.ultra mag .lots of recoil on the latter will need a muzzle break. learn to load up the right pairings of bullet weight to powder charge to animal thru others and your own experience and youll have it licked.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
If you're hunting in Arizona, which is similar geography to NM, a .308 or .30-06 is the best all-around choice, IMO. Leave the .300WM and SAUMs to the moose hunters. If you practice with your rifle and understand shooting within your area of accuracy, (and intend to use the meat from your game) either of two I mention will serve you very well.

G

·
If you're hunting in Arizona, which is similar geography to NM, a .308 or .30-06 is the best all-around choice, IMO. Leave the .300WM and SAUMs to the moose hunters. If you practice with your rifle and understand shooting within your area of accuracy, (and intend to use the meat from your game) either of two I mention will serve you very well.

your right it all boils down to bullet placement. the difference being that a small miscalculation w/ a smaller bullet/caliber all could be lost.two schools of thought on taking game ,both involving kinetic energy. one states that a big bullet at medium velocity hitting and remaining in the animal loses all of its energy into the beast.the other school says that a faster moving bullet of the same weight makes more energy and causes a wider wound channel therefore more hemmoraging hence death.i subscribe to the second. water in a stream moving around a stationary object makes a wave of kinetic energy the faster the water the bigger the wave or kinetic energy.their is nothing wrong w either calibers mentioned but both are leaning to the small end for elk.and will end up in having to buy another weapon where as the magnums can be slowed down or speeded up making them versitile for all game other than the dangerous 5.jack o'conner did it all w a .270 but spent sometimes weeks waiting for the "perfect" senario those of us w/ things to do other than spend our lives in the woods must make the most of all opportunities afforded us.not to take "bad" shots mind you but to have the right rifle to be able to make a decision based on its and our abilities as one unit. if i spent $5000 to hunt an animal in a certain area and didnt give myself all the advantages available to me i'd be a fool.and if the bullet placement is right there is no more meat loss than w/ "standard" calibers.imo

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
.338 Lapua mag will take care of all your gaming needs from all ranges. But she is expensive.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Re: any suggestions?

.30-36 Springfield. In addition to the recommendations above, you can purchase Hornady Light Magnum 180 gr. ammunition that will increase the ballistics of your '06 to those of a .300 H&H Mag.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I would get me a .30-06 and two different loads. One for deer and one for elk. That caliber has killed everything from Polar bear down and shoud do just fine. Good hunting. :-B-:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your input :) , know of any low recoil .30-'06 or .308 guns?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts