National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lifted this from another forum - only because I have one and it's interesting/a little known fact.

I checked with my godson - he has a very respectable collection and knows his Mosins.

Here's the thread and answer:

Hey everyone,

Yesterday, I got to shoot my Mosin for the first time but it was shooting way to the left. I looked at the front site and it is dovetailed to the right and not centered. Was wondering where or what I could use to adjust the front site. Like the adjustment tools for the AK/SKS, is there one I can purchase for my Nagant? Thanks for your help.
The answer:

Was it a 91/30 or an M44? They'll do that when you leave the bayonet off when you shoot. Soviet infantry doctrine was stuck in the 18th century. The soldiers had bayonets fixed at all times (except the SVT shooters...).

If it's an M38, that's not the problem...

A hammer, a punch, a sturdy bench and steady hands work fine for drifting the front sight over.

Also, it's a Mosin or Mosin-Nagant. If you want it to have a one-word name, it's a Mosin. A Nagant is a revolver.
I've got a little M44 blaster and like to plink around with it - I'm going to have to check to see it pulls to the left, too!
:---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Zip,
I have zero knowledge with the Mosin-Nagant. I see a lot of fans post.
I have just begun my rifle collection after rounding out all of the handguns I want/need.
I started with the AK 47 Legend, then the Colt AR 15 Hbar (my shooter), SKS M59/66, and latest Winchesteer Underwood M1 Carbine.
Give me your honest impression of the M-N and is it something I want as a shooter.
Thanks,
Chris Ramsey (whompuss)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give me your honest impression of the M-N and is it something I want as a shooter.
Thanks,
Chris Ramsey (whompuss)
Hmmmmm.

First .... I like military guns .... older ones with a history.

I like 'slick' actions .... I could work my .30-40 Krag all
day long - the Mosin M44 has one just like it!

I also like something that shoots pretty cheap ammo -
the M44 fills the bill + it's still very cheap to buy/easy
to find in excellent condition!

I use mine a s a 'Jeep gun' up at the ranch and out in the
desert.

I do like it - it's a blaster because of the short barrel.

It's all of those things - but it won't take your breath away
like a good AK or AR will.

... again, I bought one because I wanted it for those reasons
and have never regretted it for a minute!
:-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Zip,
I've found a few other Mosin-Nagant fans, they love to shoot the rifle but none are as familiar as you seem to be.
I'm sending you a PM ref a specific listing, would welcome your opinion.
Thanks,
whomp

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mosins are awesome rifles. The ruskies sure knew what they were doing when the designed it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I'm no expert - I just have an M44 - I was going to collect Mosins at one time - my Godson collects them in Ocala, FL. He's the expert. I was looking for an example of the Czarist rifle (unscrubbed receiver), perhaps an American example, manufactured for Czarist Russia (many were not delivered), and perhaps a WWI example, and a WWII rifle (full sized).

Check out these websites:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forums. ... /index.php
:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts