National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S&W .38 Special that I'm trying to find out an age or any other info on. I was told it was my great great grandfather's when he was a police officer for the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. Not familiar at all with guns, so bear with me! I believe the S/N is on the butt of the gun? It says: 266926. Any info at all is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
The KC, MO PD should be contacting you any time now to get their gun back.

No, really. Most folks find that it's not a good idea to post up the entire serial number of firearms (particularly handguns) about which they are not absolutely sure of the origin. I'm not sure why this is, but it is. But anyway, let's see, great, great, grandfather....hmmmm? If you are 20, and each generation is 20 years apart, then.... father 40, grandfather 60, Ggrandfather 80, GGgrandfather 100 years ago! KCMOPD 38 special prior to 1912. That would mean ...... oh, wait a minute, try here!

.38 Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's not the best source but it'll give you a good start on reading.

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had actually checked that site out beforehand, and had found out some information about the guns, but since they were made pre-1899 to the early 90's, there is quite an age gap there...I'm not able to recall when he was an officer, So I guess I was hoping to find someone who may have been able to tell a time period from the serial number (tried to edit the serial number with xxx, but it wouldn't let me). Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Try www.thehighroad.org ----- they have a lot of info and a forum type chat platform where brainiacs can help you with your gun.:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could try contacting the KC MO PD's records department with your relatives name and if the gun was issued to him they will have records for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts