National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, where do you hunt, what do you use, and do you have any tips you would be kind enough to share.

I'll start.......

My buddies and I pretty much hunt the Texas Coast, with the occassional foray into the prairies and marshes in southeast Texas. I'm still using the same old 870 I bought when I was 18 and it still works like a charm. Plus, I won't get too terribly upset when I drop it in the saltwater. by the time the birds get down here (except teal), the motorized decoys (see mojo, wunderduk, etc.) tend to spook the birds more than bring them in. The only motorized we used after, say, Thanksgiving, is a mallard machine. We also tend to set our spreads with mottled ducks closest to our position to add realism to the calls since we don't get all that many mallards down here.

G

·
ive only been twice. both times in lake charles la. limit out easily if you can shoot.model 1300 waterfowl. really want to go do some sea ducks. i love anything fast with a shotgun.mainly rabbit hunt here, some dove and grouse.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You ought to come to Texas (or Louisiana for that matter) for the early teal season. Those suckers humm!!!!!

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts

Duck Hunt?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol....anything closer to the screen than three feet is just plain cheating -r-

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
A good dog is the key to a good hunt.

Its been years since I have been duck hunting. But I always preferred to hunt the fields back home in Iowa to hunting on the Mississippi river.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C-D-P said:
A good dog is the key to a good hunt.
Truer words were never spoken. My wife and I live in an apartment at the momeny, and I'm not going to make a dog live in an apartment. But as soon as we get to a house, she's going to get her pocket dog and I'll get my duck dog.

I too would much rather hunt on family land as opposed to the coast. It's just getting scarcer and scarcer.

G

·
ducks

I have had good success using a dozon coot deks and just four or five mallards in the spread. seems the ducks get wise to the large spreads

·
Hunter of Ducks
677 Posts
Oh yea, duck hunting has been going on in my family for generations. I treated my dad and some other die hard duck hunter friends to a Mexico duck hunt, we had a Blast ;-) shot our limit. I used a pump as I get the opportunity to think about the 2end shot, dad uses a SBE2 as his shoulders cant do pumps like they used to. my buddies had there ol tried and true guns and used a combo of Black Cloud and rem heavy loads. I enjoy the beautiful sun rise and sets with my family and close friends more so than the hunting. It was a great trip but $$$$$$$$$$$$, still worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts