National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. My granfather pulled an old shotgun out of the shed today on Christmas. We were trying to figure out around when it was made and any other information. I have researched it some and the only thing I can find on it so far is that it was belgian made. The only markings on it are "N. Barback" on the side near the engravings and "412-80-1274" underneath the action of the gun. It is a double barrel percussion shotgun. Anyone know any information or know where I may be able to find information about this gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Belgian, but everything I find says "maker unknown" That may be as close as you come unless you find a makers mark of some sort.
Pull the fore-end, remove the barrrels. Look at the bottom of the barrels and the water table on the action. (flat part hidden by the barrels)
GUESSING 1880's thru 1910 or so. Firearms making in Belgium was a cottage industry, and you could have any "brand name" on it you wanted if you ordered a quantity. Here is a link to the 1897 Sears catalog. Start around page 560. Pages of shotguns only described as
"Belgian".

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158001963940;view=1up;seq=548

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Pricely! Weren't they.

Alan

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
From the pictures you posted that is not a percussion shotgun. It is a break open breech loader hammer gun. The Belgium Mfg. doesn't help much. Back during the period that gun was made anybody and his cousin could commission a run of SxS shotguns made by one Belgium manufacturer or another. It was the Miroku, Japan of it's time. That is likely the reason John M. Browning went to Liege, Belgium to make his guns. Belgium was the hub of European gun making until the Nazi invasion shut it down from 1940 to 1945. After the end of WW II the day of the cheap SxS shotguns was pretty much over. People were focusing on the auto loaders and pumps instead of the SxS.
They are fun to shoot and hunt with I have several in various gauges that I use every chance I get. If the barrels are Damascus use EXTREME caution with what you shoot in them. I would even recommend that you retire the old shooter and not shoot it, if it is Damascus steel. The 'Marble' figuring on the barrels will tell you if it is Damascus or Armor steel.
Nice find.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum. My granfather pulled an old shotgun out of the shed today on Christmas. We were trying to figure out around when it was made and any other information. I have researched it some and the only thing I can find on it so far is that it was belgian made. The only markings on it are "N. Barback" on the side near the engravings and "412-80-1274" underneath the action of the gun. It is a double barrel percussion shotgun. Anyone know any information or know where I may be able to find information about this gun?
The 412 # looks like a Social Security # someone could have put on it for identification purposes

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
The first three digits of a SSN indicate the place where a person lives or has filed an application for their first Social Security card. In this case '412' means the state of Tennessee. Previously, they pointed to the state of residence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts