National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
I think it's just a wall hanger. Not a working gun. Is there any markings on it?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Think I saw one of them on Pawn Stars, called a Blunder Bust or something like that?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
For some reason i can't open the first pic but i think sam is right, it does resemble a blunderbuss. Prices are all over on these types of guns and there are also many fakes and reproductions out there.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
The bore looks to be copper. Under the corrosion you can see some copper color. That is what leads me to think it's a wall hanger.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Yea, Wiki says the barrels were made of steel or brass. If it's copper, must be a reproduction or a novelty.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Ok it maybe brass. Brass is a copper zinc alloy. And will corrode with a green color too.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Moisture can do it. I learned the hard way. Not drying casings after washing them. Getting coal dirt out. Now i lay them out with a fan blowing across them.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
It's a shame the frizzen is missing. Byron look and see if there is a vent hole by the flash pan.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Blunderbuss, missing frizzen and lower jaw on the flintlock.
If it has a touch hole it used to be a working weapon.
As far as value, I would be surprised if it is worth much at all.
Look to see if it has any modern style screws or bolts in it, may help to let you know if it is really old.
Blunderbuss was popular in the 15th-16th century on ships for clearing the decks in a fight.
You could load that sucker up with anything. Shot, glass, rocks etc. Close range weapon.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
I wonder what kind of charge a blunderbuss could handle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts