National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ammo.com
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aldous Huxley, the writer of A Brave New World, would have turned 126 tomorrow. If you haven't read it, it's just as important as 1984 – and just as predictave. Huxley's dystopia is the polar opposite of Orwell's, where people are subjugated through decadence instead of fear.

Today we are seeing a healthy 50/50 mix: YouTube and pills, riots and paranoia.

One thing Huxley predicted that Orwell missed was the rise of the antidepressant. He thought up "soma" decades before psychopharmacology really took off.

Does antidepressant abuse lead to mass shootings? Our article Prescription For Violence at the very least suggests that they do. But it could still be that they're part and parcel of a world going bonkers. What do you think?

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Speaking of meds. The pharmacy seams a lot more busy since the plandemic.

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
Soma soma soma soma soma...

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
I don’t know that any drug or combination of drugs is to blame. In fact blaming a drug or alcohol for human behavior is a cop out.

The problem is that people have abandoned conscience and the ideal of a moral obligation to do the right thing as opposed to doing the wrong things without accountability or consequences.

Alan

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Well said Alan. I think the new business the drug store is folks coping out on ''happy'' meds. Because they can't deal with the fear instill on the covid. Im glad i can keep myself entertained no matter what goes on in the media and world. I was always a woods person since i was a kid. Other kids had their video games and whatever else. I was always in the woods exploring and out plinking with my air rifle.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
On a side note. I was browsing your site. Ammo.com i like the history of videos. 👍

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,951 Posts
I don’t know that any drug or combination of drugs is to blame. In fact blaming a drug or alcohol for human behavior is a cop out.

The problem is that people have abandoned conscience and the ideal of a moral obligation to do the right thing as opposed to doing the wrong things without accountability or consequences.

Alan

Any drug that alters a person's feelings/emotions/thought-processes should be suspect as a possible contributor to any anti-social actions. Just my 2¢.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Absolutely loved reading Huxley and Orwell. Very thought-provoking stuff. If you liked Brave New World, you'll like Brave New World:Revisited. Avaliable for free on line and well worth the read.

And yet, he misses a lot of the true underlying causes of today's lack of personal responsibility. Bottom line is, parents are raising kids with no sense of what it means to think ahead to the consequences of their actions. A key part of that lesson is to learn how to deal with failure. Kids don't learn that lesson any more.

As a result, parents rely on meds to fill in the blanks where they failed to teach their kids. So, a kid can't feel the reward of a job well done and they don't know how to overcome the disappointment and grief of failures or loss. By the time they grow up, they're on all the anti-depressants their helicopter parents can find for them and every little criticism or perceived insult makes them collapse into a quivering bowl of jelly who can't function any more. Then they take more pills.

The pills might make things worse in the sense that on a typical day, the kid, now adult may actually not feel anything at all.

Occasionally, these guys and gals, raised by irresponsible, indulgent parents, will finally get pissed off. They don't have any sense of control of their lives because again, they don't understand consequences or rewards of actions. So they drift through life and have lost their mental grip on reality. They're parents have taught them to expect Nirvana at every moment. Finally, they snap.

When they snap, they go into a rage and even the ones who don't go on a shooting spree will start throwing things around the room, destroying someone's car or any number of other temper tantrums. Naturally, everyone blames the meds because that's the easy answer. Nobody is interested in troubleshooting the real cause that begins in the childhood and in the parentage of parents who frequently don't even like their kids and don't want to be bothered by them. Other parents who believe their little curtain clibers should never have their tender feelings hurt so they create a trophy generation of kids with no understanding of their own emotions, positive OR negative.

It's a thing that goes back two generations now, all the way back to the mid-60's.

And we aren't going to fix it any time soon. Probably not at all.

--Wag--

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
''Spare the rod. Spoil thy child'' The lack of discipline these days is a big factor. Parents are afraid of children and youth. One time my son said he will call CYS. If i spank him. So i called myself on speaker phone. The gal who answered said she uses a wooden spoon to paddle her kids. The look on my sons face was priceless. You can spank your kids just not beat them. My son was taking money from my wallet. When i caught him. I smacked his fingers with a ruler. He never stole again after that. Now and the he thanks me for doing it. One lesson he said was good. So yes a parent needs some self control on there part.

Reactions: Kobs and Wag

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
100%, CC. There's a difference between discipline and abuse. So many parents are so afraid of being told they are abusive that they don't offer discipline as well. They end up trying to be a friend to their kids instead of a parent. That's just insane.

--Wag--

·
Registered
145 Posts
My thoughts, having a fair amount of close experience with these drugs in my family.
  • It is not possible for any drug or substance to make you robotically find and load a gun, then go shoot people, period. That is just not at thing. ADs don't take away free will. They do not take away any sense of right and wrong.
  • There are about 39 million people on ADs in the US. There were something like 372 mass shootings in 2019 and not all of those people were on ADs. So only a minuscule percentage of people on ADs become mass shooters.
  • Cause and effect may be turned around in a lot of these mass shooting cases. So someone who is prone to violence is also prone to depression and gets prescribed ADs. But the ADs don't cause that person's violence. That propensity was already there.
  • Not all AD drugs are the same. There are SSRIs, SNRIs, Tricyclics MAOIs, etc. So saying "AD's and violence" is casting too wide a net. They all have different effects on different people.
  • These drugs are often over prescribed, given to kids that don't need them. That can be a problem. That doesn't make them bad drugs for kids who do.
  • It is really important for doctors to try different things with each patient and "titrate" the levels. I suspect a lot of doctors don't take the time do this well enough and/or parents don't give them the chance.
  • Patients often do not take the drugs as prescribed. They will lay off the drugs when they are feeling OK, but then double up when they are feeling bad. That is dangerous.
  • Many other substances are associated with violence. Alcohol is one of the worst and we don't seem to have witch hunts over that. There is also cocaine, meth, etc. ADs get held up as a "boogeyman" when they don't account for nearly as much violence as other substances.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The Prescription, Pharmacist, Doctor is no more responsible than the actual Gun is. Gun is merely the tool as the Prescription, Pharmacist and Doctor are but tools. Yes it is a "Bitter Pill" to swallow I Choose therefore I am Responsible.....

Reactions: jmf552

·
Ammo.com
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thoughts, having a fair amount of close experience with these drugs in my family.
  • Alcohol is one of the worst and we don't seem to have witch hunts over that. There is also cocaine, meth, etc. ADs get held up as a "boogeyman" when they don't account for nearly as much violence as other substances.
These are all great points for our writer to take into account. To your last point, I'd say it's important to consider the source of these drugs. Alcohol is an inextricable part of civilization, and our recent attempt at banning it actually spiked violence. Meth and other recreational drugs are not dealt out by someone who has taken an oath saying they would do no harm. But the thought of a benevolent doctor prescribing drugs when they're not needed, or could potentially do harm? I expect that's what chafes people about them so badly.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

Alan
Personally i think it's a combination of both. You already have to have something wrong upstairs and the drugs just exasperate the problem in some people. I know a few people who are on drugs for being Bipolar or depression and most of them are like two different people depending if they are on or off the drugs. Some are better with the drugs and some are worse from what i see although the drugs may make the people feel better who i think are worse. When i say worse i don't mean they are meaner or more depressed but almost like a subdued or zombie state in some ways. I have also noticed large memory gaps in a few people when they are on certain meds. Sometimes it's just a conversation i had with them and others it seems like a whole day is missing from their brain. Some of these drugs are quite powerful and i would dare say equal too or more powerful than some illegal mind altering drugs. Just think what some people can and have done while taking things like LSD. it's very easy to see some of these drugs could trigger someone to do evil things if they already have some of those thoughts in their head.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
145 Posts
These are all great points for our writer to take into account. To your last point, I'd say it's important to consider the source of these drugs. Alcohol is an inextricable part of civilization, and our recent attempt at banning it actually spiked violence. Meth and other recreational drugs are not dealt out by someone who has taken an oath saying they would do no harm. But the thought of a benevolent doctor prescribing drugs when they're not needed, or could potentially do harm? I expect that's what chafes people about them so badly.
I get that completely. But that is people reacting with their emotions, not with facts. Just because we are not as offended by the source of a serious problem doesn't make it any less of a problem. That's like saying if we are upset about violence, we should take it out on the few cops who have done violence, because they have taken an oath to protect us, rather than concentrating on the people who are actually doing the vast majority of the violence. If we keep thinking with our emotions, there will be no end to the downward spiral. At least with doctors you have someone to sue.

And I wasn't talking about banning alcohol again. But there is a lot more we can do to crack down on people who abuse it.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
IIRC, every teenage mass shooter was a user of modern ADHD psychotropic drugs. My youngest was on them for a bit, but we stopped when he kept complaining about how it made him feel.............Teachers do not like "kids being kids" or the old "boys will be boys" so they stress medication and zombie behavior so they are quiet......

·
Registered
145 Posts
IIRC, every teenage mass shooter was a user of modern ADHD psychotropic drugs.
The origin of this urban legend seems to be a meme that was widely circulated on social media some time ago. Also, the Church of Scientology, which is very hostile to the field of clinical psychology and psychiatry has promoted this myth. In addition, Ollie North made a statement to that effect when he was president of the NRA.

Fact checking organization Politifact checked these claims and said they are definitely false. A 2015 study by Peter Langman, Ph.D. studied 52 school shooters and only seven were on these kinds of drugs. To date, there has been no scientific study linking these kinds of drugs and violence. Some violent kids are on these drugs, but a lot of them aren't.

It is easy to try to blame some boogeyman like a drug or the psychiatric profession for these events. It is harder to deal with the real issues. These kids were screwed up and most often people knew that and did nothing about it.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
These kids were screwed up and most often people knew that and did nothing about it.
Of course that is true; what hasn't been established is WHY they were screwed up. Many in his article may not have been on those drugs at the same time as the shooting, but as he stated, many HAD been on those. The lasting effect and damage caused cannot be ruled out as a cause because there is no definitive proof one way or the other.
The real shame, especially in Parkland, was that the school was fudging numbers because they were known as a school to prison pipeline and that made them look bad. Add in an idiot of a sheriff and non-responsive deputies; ALL should be charged for allowing that to happen.

Reactions: jmf552

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
While it's not entirely fair to rule out the meds as a cause, we don't have enough research to demonstrate causality. Perhaps the kids with the propensity for violence are the same kids on the meds, regardless of the reasons.

The root causes, as I mentioned above in my overly long post is bad parenting. I'm betting the kids are just soft, with or without meds.

--Wag--

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,951 Posts
Fact checking organization Politifact checked these claims ......
I wouldn't use Politifact as a fact checking source.

PolitiFact.com is a nonprofit project operated by the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida, with offices there and in Washington, D.C. It began in 2007 as a project of the Tampa Bay Times (then the St. Petersburg Times), with reporters and editors from the newspaper and its affiliated news media partners reporting on the accuracy of statements made by elected officials, candidates ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts