National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is long, but thanks a lot in advance for any advice or opinions:

I've been shooting guns my whole life, but first got big into them when I was in high school, sometimes going to the range up to three times a week. Then I started college and put all my focus on that and became completely distanced from guns. This past summer, I finished getting my associates degree and a certificate and started taking a break from school, thus getting back into the gun groove again.

I'm working full time now to save up money, so I don't want to spend any money I make at work on guns, but since I had a few guns that I didn't really shoot too often, I sold them in order to make money for some that I would shoot more. I bought two so far and have a budget of about $750 left. I'm torn as to what I want to get. I know that whatever it is that I'm going to get, it will be the last one (or two) for a while since I'm going back to school before too long, so I have to choose carefully.

What I own now:

Yugo M70 N-PAP AK-47, Ruger 10/22 (from 1986, old steel trigger assembly and mag release), Remington 1187, Winchester 69a, Stevens 16ga break action, Browning Hi-Power, and a Glock 23.

What I sold (if it was a bad idea):

Winchester 9422, Marlin 39 Article 2, Remington 870 12ga (not in the best condition, or else I would have kept it), New Haven 600ct 20ga, and a Beretta 92f.

Even though some of these may be out of my price range, I could make some extra money on the side ($1200 absolute max). This is what I've been interested in along with the prices that I've seen on them:

AR15 ($950-$1200): Was looking at the Colt 6920 ($1200) as everyone seems to love it. I was also looking at a Bushmaster XM-15, which a local gun shop has a deal going on where its $950 with $100 rebate and four Pmags.

Benelli Supernova ($525): I don't have a pump shotgun anymore and I really like the black synthetic and pistol grip configuration. Like the idea of being able to shoot 3.5 inch shells too. From what I see, this thing's starting to become the third shotgun in the Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 debate.

Ruger 10/22 with nice setup ($700): I know I have one of these already, but I would really like to get one with the new mag release mechanism that they have now. I would like to get it with a bull barrel and a really nice thumbhole stock from a certain ebay seller. The one I have now has some sentimental value so I don't want to change it up too much.

Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosquito ($360-$400): Don't have a .22lr semi-auto pistol and would love to have one. Seems like a good way to make your .22lr ammo last a bit longer.

Remington 700 in .308 ($950): Would like a nice long range bolt action.

It's important to note that I don't really own guns for self defense, just for recreation, so that factor doesn't matter to me when looking for new guns. I wish I would just cut out the headache and buy them all but that's not happening any time soon. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Out of that wish list, I'd get the 700, personally.

As for AR15s, in that price range I would consider a Stag Model 8 piston instead of a direct impingement gun, but that is just my opinion. I've shot Colts and I wouldn't trade my Stag for one.

The SR22 is a fun little plinking gun, which I use as a backup backup / fishing gun. There are other things I would rather have, however. If you want a low-cost .22 auto to hunt with, though, Smith's 22A is a heck of a lot more accurate than my SR22. A lot bigger, too.

The 10/22 mag release thing...I dunno, I got rid of mine after realizing it had too many faults for me to overlook. One of which was that if I carried it at the point of balance while trudging through the snow, I could drop out the mag without realizing it. Into said snow. Maybe that have fixed that in the past couple years.

As for the SuperNova, unless you hunt geese, the 3.5" is fairly pointless IMO. And that thing is fairly ugly, as well as being about the most plastic shotgun I have ever handled (right up there with the 887 Rem).

Just my $.02

CM

Edit: I woulda kept the 9422, as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know this is long, but thanks a lot in advance for any advice or opinions:

I've been shooting guns my whole life, but first got big into them when I was in high school, sometimes going to the range up to three times a week. Then I started college and put all my focus on that and became completely distanced from guns. This past summer, I finished getting my associates degree and a certificate and started taking a break from school, thus getting back into the gun groove again.

I'm working full time now to save up money, so I don't want to spend any money I make at work on guns, but since I had a few guns that I didn't really shoot too often, I sold them in order to make money for some that I would shoot more. I bought two so far and have a budget of about $750 left. I'm torn as to what I want to get. I know that whatever it is that I'm going to get, it will be the last one (or two) for a while since I'm going back to school before too long, so I have to choose carefully.

What I own now:

Yugo M70 N-PAP AK-47, Ruger 10/22 (from 1986, old steel trigger assembly and mag release), Remington 1187, Winchester 69a, Stevens 16ga break action, Browning Hi-Power, and a Glock 23.

What I sold (if it was a bad idea):

Winchester 9422, Marlin 39 Article 2, Remington 870 12ga (not in the best condition, or else I would have kept it), New Haven 600ct 20ga, and a Beretta 92f.

Even though some of these may be out of my price range, I could make some extra money on the side ($1200 absolute max). This is what I've been interested in along with the prices that I've seen on them:

AR15 ($950-$1200): Was looking at the Colt 6920 ($1200) as everyone seems to love it. I was also looking at a Bushmaster XM-15, which a local gun shop has a deal going on where its $950 with $100 rebate and four Pmags.

Benelli Supernova ($525): I don't have a pump shotgun anymore and I really like the black synthetic and pistol grip configuration. Like the idea of being able to shoot 3.5 inch shells too. From what I see, this thing's starting to become the third shotgun in the Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 debate.

Ruger 10/22 with nice setup ($700): I know I have one of these already, but I would really like to get one with the new mag release mechanism that they have now. I would like to get it with a bull barrel and a really nice thumbhole stock from a certain ebay seller. The one I have now has some sentimental value so I don't want to change it up too much.

Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosquito ($360-$400): Don't have a .22lr semi-auto pistol and would love to have one. Seems like a good way to make your .22lr ammo last a bit longer.

Remington 700 in .308 ($950): Would like a nice long range bolt action.

It's important to note that I don't really own guns for self defense, just for recreation, so that factor doesn't matter to me when looking for new guns. I wish I would just cut out the headache and buy them all but that's not happening any time soon. Thanks again for the advice everyone!
I've seen Bushmasters for much less than that here in Arizona. I don't know if it was the XM-15 variant, but they had optics-ready Bushmasters for $650 at my local gun store. I have the A3 Bushmaster AR15 and it's been a rock -- love it.

The price on the 10/22 seems awfully high. You can buy a brand new 10/22 Target for $529, and that's MSRP, it can probably be found for much less than that.

I have a Ruger Mark III, and that has been amazing save for when it comes to cleaning. I have heard really bad things about the Sig Mosquito; I would stay far away from it.

The Rem 700 is a fine gun, but you won't have to pay $950 for it. The SPS Tactical only runs about $600-$700 (without an optic, of course, which you should spend about the same amount of money on as the gun), and Cabela's has the 700 Varmint in .223 or .308 on sale right now for around $400, which is an EPIC deal. I don't even have the money now and I'm tempted to go buy another at that price.

·
1,796 Posts
22lr is still either a empty spot on a shelf or priced like 9mm per 500 around here so I'd probably skip it at the moment. Out of everything listed I'd go with a 700 but in. 223 to bring ammo costs down a touch. Like was said earlier though make sure you factor decent optics and rings into the 700 budget. To add to your confusion some savage makes pretty nice rifles too and typically a little under the 700's price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also would vote for the Remington 700 in .308 (have owned and shot mine for 30 years) or the Savage 110 in .308. Both well made, accurate rifles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm too new at shooting to add any recommendations, but I just want to say I'm jealous you have a Browning Hi-Power.
Hehe yeah its one from 1987 and its probably one of my favorite 9mm's I've ever shot. Just ordered some Pachmayr grips for it the other day too. You can find some models as low as $600 on gunbroker.com. The way this broke college student is able to stay active in a now borderline rich man hobby is to find things around the house that you don't want/use anymore and sell it on ebay. I've made about $2000 on ebay the past year and about $400 a couple weeks ago just from stuff I don't use, its unbelievable. Its probably a lot easier than you think to be able to get a Hi-Power.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions, all great answers.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
10/22 (from 1986, old steel trigger assembly and mag release) - These seem to be more desirable than the newer cheapened and plasticized models.

Winchester 9422, Marlin 39 Article 2 - These are the two finest lever action .22 caliber rimfire rifles ever made. In time, you will regret selling them.

Of you proposed purchases the only one I'd consider is the Remington 700 although I'd not limit myself to the Remington brand. Many manufacturers offer quality rifles priced similar to the Remington.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gosh if I had sold a 9422 AND a 39a I'd be too busy kicking myself in the butt to even think about buying another gun. That said A good basic bolt action in 308 OR better yet 30/06 would be the first thing I would buy. I wouldn't get it in the Savage or Remington though it would be a Browning Stainless Stalker X bolt for sure. Once you have a good all weather bolt rifle in a caliber that will take anything in NA you can build from there. FRJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
A mossberg500 can easily be made or modified to meet that visual and stock preference and I've seen them lower than $300. It's the glock of shotguns. As for the 3.5 shells the mossberg535 has the look and can take 3.5 shells for not much more cash (mine was $430). As your .308 long range taste is concerned Weatherby Vangaurd chambers .223 up to .300 with a great .308. Reaches out as far as any similar priced scope will go at just over $500. Smith&wesson m&p makes a great ar15 nd I've found them lower than $700 but make sure to keep piston ar's oiled well. The Ruger sr22 is a pretty great .22lr pistol, I'de not regret it. Maybe it's unrelated but I never was more happy than when I got an Ar-50. I nabbed mine new for 3000 even. If you ever have 3.5 grand laying around check out an equipped ar50 or for complete hardcore action a barrett m-107.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts