National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one started out as a simple butt pad installation to replace a standard generic plastic butt plate. This was my dads old Springfield 03' that was sporterized sometime before the mid 70's being i remember it as a kid. As i was fitting it i noticed the stock had a funny feel, sort of wavy like whoever sanded it long ago used their fingers instead of a sanding block. Finish was also very old and very dark so i decided to refinish the stock too. After i stripped it and started sanding i was trying to figure out how to work around the checkering without getting into it. Looking at the checkering it was old and worn out and sort of flat. So i opted to removed the checkering altogether. After all the sanding the grip cap was now too big and didn't want to try and fit a plastic cap so i looked through my scrap wood for something exotic. Wish i had some Ebony to match the fore end cap. Found some pieces of Leopard wood and made a grip cap. Sanded in some stain and put about 6-7 coats of tru oil. Just got it back together. Someday i want to trade out the cheap Tasco glass for something a bit better but it does shoot rather well for an old gun with a cheap scope so for now it stays. I should have taken some before pics but didn't think i was going this far until it just happened.
Table Wood Tool Shelf Gas

Food Suckling pig Wood Fish Seafood

Glasses Office supplies Pen Sports equipment Bicycle handlebar

·
Salmon Slayer
557 Posts
Awesome job Sir!

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
It's beautiful. Classic Springfield sporter. I've got a number of bolt action rifles and if I had to go to the safe and grab one to put food on the table it's be one of the Springfield sporters. And it'd be one without checkering. Checkering is nice but I never really cared for it in a hunting rifle. It's just something else to worry about getting dinged up. Those were the rifles I grew up with. I didn't even know what a model 70 or 700 was until I was grown. And, there is nothing wrong with those old Tasco scopes. They are rugged and will hold their mark as long as you don't abuse them.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts