National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month or two ago I probably did something I shouldn’t have done and hurt both shoulders. On my last trip to the Dr I asked her about it. She checked it out and said it was probably a tear in the meniscus (right shoulder).

I can do most things except raise my arm without some moderate level of pain. I’ve been taking it easy but holding a loaded handgun at arms length and aim properly is not possible

it’s getting better but really slowly.

just a warning to your old farts. Don’t overdo. You ain’t no spring chickens any more.

Alan

·
Registered
173 Posts
Before I respond, just letting you know I take this shoulder thing very seriously due to my experiences and up front I do not care if I sound "way over the top" to you or other readers.

My rotator cuff gave me fits after an injury. The first MRI was cheaply done, thanks to my insurance company at the time, and the surgeon who operated went into the operation not understanding how extent the damage had been. He fixed what he saw was wrong by way of the poor MRI and closed up. He told me about the poor MRI during my rehab after surgery.

I eventually had to have a second surgery when I injured the shoulder again.

Alan, STOP! DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT $200 DOLLARS!

Either make an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon, or find a new one and go get his/her opinion. My guess is he/she will send you to get a quality MRI as soon as possible.

As for me, all four of the tendons in my right shoulder's rotator cuff were torn to varying degrees. One of these was torn pretty badly. Today you can Startpage search rehabilitation exercises for the rotator cuff and do these up to the point you feel ANY, repeat, feel ANY discomfort. Do NOT try to find the pain by moving your arm.

Lastly, the shoulder joint is not a true ball and socket joint. Simply put, the humerus is held on place by tendons that form a "cuff" around the top of the humerus itself. It sounds like you either tore one (or more) of these tendons and or you have torn one (or more) of the muscles attached to these tendons.

Get a orthopedic surgeon's diagnosis as soon as possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the same. Rotator torn along with bicep tear.
Do not mess with this, you will only make it worse. You need an orthopedist, not a family doc. Since it is soft tissue, the only way to see the extent of damage is an MRI.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Jesus Saves
7,688 Posts
I'll add to this. Last summer I did something to my shoulder. Pain, limited range of motion.......pain. I'm not a wimp (IMO) and put up with it til December when I told my doc. He told me to go to ortho where they had PA's and I did. DId some xrays and told me my I had a right shoulder impingement, and said let's start with therapy. Went to therapy for about 6 weeks and had improvement, not recovery. They said improvement was acceptable and if it did not go away, come back and either have an injection (to see if that works) or an MRI for surgery.

The china flu hits....and I am in pain. The next step, once this flu thing is over, is to MAYBE get a shot. I hate surgery and what will come after. I will bite the bullet until I cannot bite any longer......which is getting close.

Yes, pain has become part of my life.

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! You guys have got me feeling better already!

Alan

Reactions: Wag and Kobs

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've had relatively minor shoulder problems. Common for me is no pain during the day, but waking up at night with shoulder pain. For that I use a very effective rub-on cream called Pain-A-Trate. It retails for between $15. and $20. a tube. I have bought it from both Amazon and eBay. It only takes a few minutes for it to work.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just so you know Alan, I broke my ankle the week before Thanksgiving of 18' couldn't put weight on it for almost 6 mo. Broke 2 screws in it this past deer season. All the hardware was removed on Feb, 10th. Just this week walking in a boot. Yes it's a ***** getting old.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Getting old sure beats the alternative.
Got rotator cuff fixed about 20 years ago. Never got back to 100% but it is good enough.
The PT is very important if you get it done, if not it is a waste of your time, money,pain.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Absolutely. Physical therapy is just as important as the surgery itself.
I went 3 times a week. After the first three weeks, I also had a system set up to do EXACTLY what the therapist recommended at home as well. Twice a day. Always followed by ice on the shoulder.
A good therapist is worth at least as much as the surgeon. Follow their orders.
I was back to work in half the normal time. Surprised the doc and the therapist. It helped that she was really cute and I enjoyed going.

·
Registered
492 Posts
One of the indications of a rotator cuff tear is pain while laying down. It helps a lot to sleep in a slightly reclining position until you get the surgery.

·
Live Free
2,749 Posts
A month or two ago I probably did something I shouldn’t have done and hurt both shoulders. On my last trip to the Dr I asked her about it. She checked it out and said it was probably a tear in the meniscus (right shoulder).

I can do most things except raise my arm without some moderate level of pain. I’ve been taking it easy but holding a loaded handgun at arms length and aim properly is not possible

just a warning to your old farts. Don’t overdo. You ain’t no spring chickens any more.

Alan
Yeah! We are not spring chickens, more like sprung chickens...

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, despite all the good advice to the contrary, ... surgery is going to be the very last resort. Getting an MRI is second to last. I’d rather do the surgery myself than get in one of those damn things again.

My range of motion is still good, just with pain (which is getting more bearable at the thought of surgery and six months rehab).

I’ll try some exercises first.

Thanks for the co-miseration And the advice though.

Alan

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Is it just me or am I the only one that has my meniscus in my knee, not my shoulder

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s probably just you. Perhaps I should see a different doctor...

Alan

·
Premium Member
363 Posts

Alan
I hear you, my arthritis is creeping in to my neck, I try to stretch then it feels better.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Registered
18,318 Posts
Diminishing mobility and flexibility are two rewards for living poorly or long.......or both. I went into hibernation this past Minnesota winter instead of joining a gym under the Silver Sneakers Program or continueing my walking in a mall. Trying to resume my walking regimen of at least an hour brisk pace to cover about 3 miles, it's killing me at times. Breath is fine, but muscles are intermittently "good to bad". It sucks. Age 73.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts