National Gun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try to clear up some of the friction about .45 ACP 1911 pistols. Here is my last response to a writer that was defending the .45, and that his son is NY State Trooper and Carries a .45:
I'm not talking about .45 ACP all double actions or traditional semi auto double actions. I think that .45 is a great duty round for police and military in the right handgun. I'm talking about the .45 ACP 1911 types being over rated as an overall first gun, and it's practicality as a duty weapon. Never said it was a bad gun. I agree that 1911's are great guns in the hands of experienced shooters or special LEO applications such as FBI HRT, but "NOT AS A FIRST OR ONLY HANDGUN" in general. I'm a big fan of lever action rifles but I would never tell anyone that it should be their first and or only rifle OKAY!! Please relax, I'm not against 1911's, but I don't want to steer the new guys and gals in the wrong direction that are coming into the shooting world and all they see and here about sometimes is the 1911 .45 ACP.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
The first pistol other than a 22lr that I ever held was a 1911. I learned the basics with it and qualified with it in the USMC in 1982. Since those days, I've been through many pistols and a couple revolvers--a couple of those have been 1911 models, one of them I customized myself with NM and stainless steel parts. I currently don't own a 1911 model, but if I did, it would likely be the new Taurus PT1911. Most folks can't afford the top end most 1911 pistols have become and unlees a person is a combat operator or serious professional, or investor--they may be overrated in price alone. The 1911 is not the pistol for everyone even though extensive training is not necessary but helpful. In a carry pistol, alot of folks just don't like the idea of carrying cocked and locked and might prefer the double action only pistols to feel comfortable. In my opinion, the 1911 model could be a first pistol, the last pistol, or an in between pistol for anyone familiar with it's operation and characteristics. The Colt model 1911 is a large piece of history, but by no means the pistol to hold others standards to. Take a random sample of five gun owners anywhere in the country and likely two of them will have a 1911 in their collection whether or not they shoot it and it may not be a Wilson's combat model, but a family heirloom. I've seen way too many law enforcement officers who specifically choose to carry a 1911 model of some sort for their off duty weapon of choice. Of course we think of the 45acp specifically when mentioning the 1911 model, but a few other calibers are available in the same platform and look very similar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts