National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site. It has been designed to have a clean look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace any mobile apps. This is web only - accessing via your phone browser.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread URL, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

This is the feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks! :wink:

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,303 Posts
I still get the desktop version. Samsung Android phone 5.1.1 and firefox.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Enhanced mobile view...

Showed up when I logged in just now. Tried using it, Didn't like it. I'm using a Kindle Fire he 7 with kindle OS version 5.3.1.0. Could not use the pen to highlight an item and bring up a menu for display of the item in New tab, background tab etc. Only pen action on an item was a double tap which opened the item in the same tab. Seemed the mobile enhanced version disabled the browser multiple tab functions.

Second item, scrolling the list of items caused a refresh every time I scrolled to the top of the page. Unneeded and distracting when I am searching for an item in the list to always have the list being reloaded.

Third, the color scheme and layout were enough different from what I see on my PC that I took the option to disable the enhanced mobile view. It said the disabling would last ninety days and then come back. As far as I'm concerned, it can stay disabled permanently.

Not all changes are improvements. My 2¢

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Oops. Hit the enhanced mobile view and gave feedback before getting this thread. See my other thread. Why I got the phone view on my tablet, I don't know.

·
Administrator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Showed up when I logged in just now. Tried using it, Didn't like it. I'm using a Kindle Fire he 7 with kindle OS version 5.3.1.0. Could not use the pen to highlight an item and bring up a menu for display of the item in New tab, background tab etc. Only pen action on an item was a double tap which opened the item in the same tab. Seemed the mobile enhanced version disabled the browser multiple tab functions.

Second item, scrolling the list of items caused a refresh every time I scrolled to the top of the page. Unneeded and distracting when I am searching for an item in the list to always have the list being reloaded.

Third, the color scheme and layout were enough different from what I see on my PC that I took the option to disable the enhanced mobile view. It said the disabling would last ninety days and then come back. As far as I'm concerned, it can stay disabled permanently.

Not all changes are improvements. My 2¢
I moved your post here so that we can keep the feedback all in the same place. It's important that it's organized so other admins on here don't miss the comments either.

Kindle uses their own OS system.... I'm not too sure if it's the same as the android but can I get a screen shot. It would help illustrate what you're seeing compared to what I'm thinking about.

Lee

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,303 Posts
firefox does not recognize mobile view.
That's odd, because I get mobile views while using Firefox, from other websites.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Kindle uses their own OS system.... I'm not too sure if it's the same as the android but can I get a screen shot. It would help illustrate what you're seeing compared to what I'm thinking about.
Alas, Kindle is a black box appliance and does not provide (or I have not figured out how to get) a screen shot. tried placing the kindle on the scanner but got too much aliasing. Also, I cannot figure out how to get back to that enhanced mobile view. typo correction from above: Kindle Fire hd 7 with kindle OS version 5.3.1.0.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,303 Posts
Alas, Kindle is a black box appliance and does not provide (or I have not figured out how to get) a screen shot. tried placing the kindle on the scanner but got too much aliasing. Also, I cannot figure out how to get back to that enhanced mobile view. typo correction from above: Kindle Fire hd 7 with kindle OS version 5.3.1.0.
Maybe this will help?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
No go. No such screen in my silk settings

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
I would like an option to view the desktop site. I'm not a fan of mobile versions of anything. I prefer the full site.

Edit: never mind, I see I can exit the "enhanced mobile version"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts