National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members of this forum,
thank you for have let me join, i am an italian man that has a passion for carving, i am continuing the family tradition of making handmade gun grips and i recently moved out of italy due to the fact that gun control laws are making anything gun related production extremely hard to do legally.

I moved with my wife to a country which has fascinated me for a long time, Cambodia, here I can find some of the best hardwoods which are extremely expensive in USA/EU such as the Thai/Cambodian rosewood (Hongmu) and other rare woods harder than ebony for less than 1/10th of the price in europe (if you can find them).

I can get that price by buying the leftover pieces from a luxury furniture factory which are too small to be used by a company but enough for carve out a couple of gun grips.
I am going to set up shop here and see how it goes.

What I want to do is to make not just classical carvings that can be nowadays be made by a machine but old school chisel and hammer deep carvings on demand.
The costumer can send me a sketch and I will do my best to create what he desires.

I would like to get a little bit of help from you, especially regarding which price you think would be fair and if I should also do carvings with waterbuffalo's horns.

I can deliver the single pieces from here to anywhere.
I am also thinking that as soon as I get the export license I would love to offer some of my works to gunshops and similar stores.
I hope that the fact of having an handmade product from very hard to find materials can make my business project a success. :)

Thank you all for your support, :yesnod1:
J. Rossi

(Prices of Thai/Cambodian Rosewood reached 50.000$/cubic meter!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rotection-to-curb-china-trade/article9655099/ )

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
This sounds interesting. I like the idea of carved wood grips. Unfortunately I don't have any hand guns that would warrent something so beautiful.
Do you you have any pictures of your work that you could post, JackRossi ?

·
Registered
7,709 Posts

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
We love seeing beautiful work. Let's see some pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sure i will post photos in a couple of days if it is ok with the forum rules. About the wood is all legal: the wood is illegal to export in boards or logs but if exported as a locally made finished product it is all right.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
If you want to sell the grips in the United States, you will want to make sure that the wood they are made of does not violate the Lacey Act.

Bad things happened to the Gibson Guitar Company when it used 'endangered wood' in its guitars.
Just wondering what they do with the "prohibited" wood after they seized it... they try to put it back in the dirt to see if it will grow? Or as usual profit themselves from it but "legally" since it's now in the government's hands

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,414 Posts
If you want to sell the grips in the United States, you will want to make sure that the wood they are made of does not violate the Lacey Act.

Bad things happened to the Gibson Guitar Company when it used 'endangered wood' in its guitars.

Keep in mind, in Gibson Guitar's case the wood in question wasn't classified as endangered by the nation it was shipped from. The people who said it was endangered was Obola stooges working for the federal government. Why would the government declare the wood endangered? Because Gibson Guitar supports and donates to conservative candidates and causes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Rosewood shouldn't be a problem. Generally you'd need to make grips for specific pistols. The 1911 .45 is the one most people put custom grips on and one guy I know who does some really beautiful wood work making .45 grips charges anywhere from $50 - $150 for them depending on if he inlays them with metals for emblems and so on or whether he simply checkers them. Carl does beautiful work, and it has taken time for him to make a name for himself. For almost all pistols, you will need a set of original grips for that pistol in order to make custom grips for one. I'm sure you could contact Rock Island Armory in the Philippines and they'd sell you a set of their original factory wood grips for any of the various pistols they make.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts