National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we use the trigger finger? There are so many sizes of guns and due to that several don’t fit our hands. In some instances it’s actually easier to shoot with your middle finger. My shield for example...... the ergo on the shield and size makes a perfect shot every time shooting using my middle finger. For one, the trigger finger pushing against the gun stabilizes the push from my thumbs on the other side and balances the force applied perfectly. For two, i have to work at perfect trigger control to shoot the shield straight and not pull using my trigger finger, but using my middle finger the shield never pulls to either side....ever. Probably partially because of the stabilization mentioned above.

I’d imagine some hands wouldn’t work to shoot like that, and some guns. My question isn’t why we shoot with the trigger finger.... i think that works best. My question is why do we ALWAYS shoot with the trigger finger. Sometimes it just makes a better grip to come up higher on the gun and use your middle finger. As we know holding higher on the gun is a good thing.

Nobody uses their middle finger, ever. If it made you shoot better, wouldn’t you want to? We need to be comfortable when shooting. The more we are, the better we shoot. What feels good, shoots good.

Below I’m including a video of what I’m talking about with how much more stabile of a grip I have on the gun which improves recoil control and accuracy for me. I haven’t shot this way much because it’s not how I learned to shoot obviously so it’s not how I grab the gun and shoot normally, but i have tried it and I’m telling you it’s more solid. I have a ton more control over the lower of the gun.

I’ve noticed my biggest improvement in one handed shooting trying this. The extra finger against the top of the lower greatly stabilizes the gun shooting one handed.

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
Use what works for you. Nothing is written in stone. Positions are guidelines. Were all different what is best. I have a small .380 1911. I was having a hard time mastering it. Finally found ''my trick''. Using the second pad on my trigger finger works for me with it. I was almost to the point of selling it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yes what works for me may not do for you I usually tend to stick with pad of fore finger, That is me I know of others and have seen others using other fingers for Trigger finger, Now I should Not chuckle or laugh but it is an ODDITY TO ME. This makes it wrong by no means nor is the shooter wrong DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU ignore the peanut gallery everyone is different.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
There are "text book" grips and then there is everything else. Consistent repetition is the key. If you can consistently repeat what you're doing then by all means continue on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Well if you're going to shot with your middle finger you better make sure the pointer finger is out of the way of the moving slide and ejection port. Besides that more fingers on the grip the better the grip.

Reactions: Wag and Popeye

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don’t need more fingers on the grip. Hold as high on a gun as possible for control. More fingers on the highest point yields the best control.

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
If the gun doesn't fit your hand well so you can shoot with your index finger, either modify the gun to fit or get a different gun. What you want most of all is to be able to shoot all of your guns the same way. When you start shooting different guns with different techniques, you set yourself up with more complexity than you need.

--Wag--

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's also worth keeping in mind that, as a rule, the index finger usually has better fine motor control than the middle finger, making it easier to 'feel' the trigger and get a good, consistent pull.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Don’t need more fingers on the grip. Hold as high on a gun as possible for control. More fingers on the highest point yields the best control.

Ummmm yeah that's what you're supposed to do, the higher the grip you have will put more fingers on the grip. You can only hold so high before the slide starts taking your DNA off the web of your hand. If you're shooting with your middle finger where does that put your pointer finger? Right next to the moving slide and ejection port that spitting hot brass and gasses out at 100mph. Good luck

Reactions: Win94ae and gts350

·
Registered
701 Posts
This brings up why you should practice shooting methods that might include missing body parts and or immobility of body parts and dominant hands/feet/eyes and such. You never know when you'll take a "hit" or where

Whatever it takes to survive..

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ummmm yeah that's what you're supposed to do, the higher the grip you have will put more fingers on the grip. You can only hold so high before the slide starts taking your DNA off the web of your hand. If you're shooting with your middle finger where does that put your pointer finger? Right next to the moving slide and ejection port that spitting hot brass and gasses out at 100mph. Good luck
I’m assuming you don’t have thumbs. There’s 2 sides to every slide. You’re showing you didn’t see the video. ;)

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Yes i have thumbs, do you keep yours that close to the slide? Yes i did watch the video. In the beginning when you were gripping the gun your thumb was straight well away from the slide where its supposed to be and in the end you angled it up just to say they are the same distance as your other finger. About 30 years ago i actually knew a guy who shot handguns and taught safety courses who shot with his middle finger. he was missing his pointer finger though. You can shoot however you want, I'm just pointing out the dangers of doing so.

20200118_124936[1].jpg

20200118_123731[1].jpg

Oh and i hope you aren't intending to try and shoot a revolver that way too.

Attachments

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i have thumbs, do you keep yours that close to the slide?
Yep. That's why I was talking about this shield in general and me. My thumbs are on the takedown lever and slide stop. Directly across from my finger on the other side. That's why I was saying it works great for me. This is regardless of which finger I tried to shoot with, that's just how the shield fits me. Also, as I said in the video I haven't shot the alternate way but about ten times. I just noticed that it did actually feel more solid and controlled for some odd reason. I think it really does feel better single handed because you need as much leverage as possible. After my elbow surgery I may find it easier to shoot one handed. Until then this helps a lot, but again I never tried it exclusively. I really just wanted a less painful way to practice one handed. Tendinitis coupled with a bone spur is a hell of a combination to try and hold something up - steady - and squeeze. Changing which tendon is pulling did actually make a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
In many cases, we shoot the way it works for us. Some people close an eye when they shoot and the both-eyes-open crowd goes bananas over it.

I was at a shotgun match one day and there was a guy who's hand had been mangled in some sort of accident. He'd had a special glove made with velcro and the matching velcro on the stock of his shotgun. He was using his ring finger to pull the trigger. He was an excellent shooter, having established a new routine and having practiced relentlessly until he could shoot again. Wish I could remember his name.

--Wag--

1 - 14 of 14 Posts