National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Associate Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've newly discovered that the Commercial Appeal, a Memphis based news publisher, has created a database that allows anyone and everyone to see who has a concealed carry permit in Tennessee. It displays name, address, date of birth, and when you first got your permit/when it expires. I, for one, am extremely offended that these douchebags went through the trouble they did in order to out all handgun permit holders in the state. I understand that issuance of a license is a matter of public record, but seriously, why make it even easier for people to invade your privacy than it already is? If anyone else thinks this is a huge invasion of privacy, then i'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I don't have a lot of time this morning to get into a long explanation of my opinions here, but it is probably public record anyways, even though I would be angry if it were published.

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
It is public information, from what I understand but to make a list? Come on. By the same token, people who know you carry aren't likely to break into your home, eh?

--Wag--

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
But they are likely to know that you have guns to steal in your home.

It is not public information in my mind. They don't publish if you have a drivers license or library card.

Get back at them, publish the paper owners name and address and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,803 Posts
imo to create a data base that houses ALL concealed carry permit holders name, address, D/O/B, and expiration so ANYONE can go and look up is highly uncalled for. I do understand your name and all that is public information but to post CCP holder's info because they are CCP holders is wrong. I think this was mentioned here before or maybe it was on another site. How about posting who has expensive jewerly, fancy furniture, expensive entertainment systems in their homes, etc etc etc so ANYONE can look it up? Another reason for having a CCP is to be concealed, and for them to make this information public is not keeping it "concealed".

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Join Delta Force. Then the government will classify all your information, so your stuff on that database will all be classified and not everyone will be able to look you up. But I doubt there are many people who know about this database.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I live in Tennessee. I found this thread interesting and upsetting because of that fact and another. A week from yesterday I go to take my carry permit class. In my home state (Vermont) you don't need a permit to carry. That state and a few others still recognize the second amendment for what it says and means. If it's public knowledge then it is but by posting it in a place intentionally with the idea in mind that people will in fact see it is the same as calling out on the radio "this man carries a gun, so does this woman, and this guy too". What good does this all accomplish? It only pisses people off.

And Wag? Are you part Canadian " EH? " haha I am too!

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
No, I'm not Canadian. Something about "eh" just seemed to work!

--Wag--

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well it did sound fitting but all the same it made me laugh because my fiance always picks on me with "eh",

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think the answer is to put some pressure on your state senator/reps to pass a law making it illegal to release that personal information.

We are dealing with the same issue in Oregon as we speak and there is pressure on the state authorities through the state gun rights organization OFF to fix the problem.

You can out the paper owner, editors, reporters by putting up their names addresses and any info you can find about them too, but I am not sure how effective that would be. Maybe label their homes gun free zones.

·
Unfathomable Comedian
715 Posts
I've newly discovered that the Commercial Appeal, a Memphis based news publisher, has created a database that allows anyone and everyone to see who has a concealed carry permit in Tennessee. It displays name, address, date of birth, and when you first got your permit/when it expires. I, for one, am extremely offended that these douchebags went through the trouble they did in order to out all handgun permit holders in the state. I understand that issuance of a license is a matter of public record, but seriously, why make it even easier for people to invade your privacy than it already is? If anyone else thinks this is a huge invasion of privacy, then i'd like to hear your thoughts.
I'm familar with the "Commercial Appeal CCW database" situation. I have family in Memphis, and my uncle is on that list. When you go to the site that has the database, it also has a link on it with a newspaper article about nefarious characters who have CCW permits. The article goes on to say how these lowlife's terrorize thier ex-wives and the county at large, and about how many times they've been arrested, but they still have thier permits.

The article doesn't rise to the level of even a pathetic argument. If the database existed for the purpose of public safety, why not limit the list to convicted felons or known offenders. No, we can't do that, we have to publish every name we can get our hands on. (It's not even a complete list, my brother in law is not on it, and he has a CCW).

The information in the database appears to come from an issue of Commercial Appeal that had the list published in it a couple of years ago. Needless to say, that newspaper is not doing well. (If it goes under, I say good riddance) :mad5:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that if you dig into that news publisher, you will find that this entity is against ccw. Antigunners are a major pain to all of us and will use any tactic they can to discredit, expose, protest and anything else they think could help their cause. There is little anyone can do to stop such people. Normally, if enough people show a lack of interest in this kind of publishing, it will eventually stop but how long before it stops will depend on the reaction this publisher receives.

·
Registered
950 Posts
And wait until you see all the gun crap you'll be getting in the mail.

AFS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts